#1 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

I've been following this guy all year. Would be great to see him get a full season next year at triple A and then maybe move up to bigs if we can't or decide we don't want to resign Davis.

"He is having a Player of the Year kind of season. In 126 games he is batting .295 with 22 doubles, two triples, 24 homers and 92 RBIs. He leads all O's farmhands in homers and RBIs. He has an OBP of .366, is slugging .498 and an OPS of .864.

"I got to Bowie and saw he was hitting them halfway back in the trees. I was thinking he'd hit more homers, but not that far. He's made tremendous strides."

Walker added the power while continuing to take his walks - he has 53 - and maintaining a high average. He's been a complete hitter.

http://www.masnsport...el-alvarez.html

#2 Bowie-Bruce

Bowie-Bruce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,555 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

With Walker and Alvarez, the O's have 2 legitimate postion prospects knocking on the door of the big club.

Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.
--Thoreau

#3 aurelius

aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

That would be great. Just the name Christian Walker sounds like such a bad-*** name.

I could just picture a Bunyan-sized statue with a huge bat out there at the yard with that name on it

Christian Walker

#4 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:29 PM

I'm also excited by Chance Sisco

#5 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,808 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:11 PM

I've been following this guy all year. Would be great to see him get a full season next year at triple A and then maybe move up to bigs if we can't or decide we don't want to resign Davis.

http://www.masnsport...el-alvarez.html

Why does Davis need to leave? You could put Davis at 3rd, Manny at SS, and throw Walker in at 1st, with Schoop at 2nd. That is a serious top shelf infield, if this season isn't a fluke for Walker.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#6 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:23 AM

Why does Davis need to leave? You could put Davis at 3rd, Manny at SS, and throw Walker in at 1st, with Schoop at 2nd. That is a serious top shelf infield, if this season isn't a fluke for Walker.

I don't think we should be paying $14 million a year for a guy who bats below the mendoza line and leads the league in shutouts. If Davis can rebound and hit for average then it would be great to see him at first for four or five more years but I'd rather spend that money on Markakis and Hardy and leave Machado at third where he has been nothing short of spectacular.

#7 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,494 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:21 AM

I don't think we should be paying $14 million a year for a guy who bats below the mendoza line and leads the league in shutouts. If Davis can rebound and hit for average then it would be great to see him at first for four or five more years but I'd rather spend that money on Markakis and Hardy and leave Machado at third where he has been nothing short of spectacular.

I don't know that I'm ready to say .192 is who Davis is when he's a a career .250ish hitter. He's also not going to hit 50 homers a year. I don't give him $14M next year, but we don't have to. We have another year to see if he's the .192 guy or the .250ish guy

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#8 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:31 AM

I don't know that I'm ready to say .192 is who Davis is when he's a a career .250ish hitter. He's also not going to hit 50 homers a year. I don't give him $14M next year, but we don't have to. We have another year to see if he's the .192 guy or the .250ish guy

Yeah, he is likely neither the 2013 nor the 2014 guy, but somewhere in between. What this year may have done is take a lot of leverage away from his agent. That could work out well for the O's.

#9 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,494 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:47 AM

Yeah, he is likely neither the 2013 nor the 2014 guy, but somewhere in between. What this year may have done is take a lot of leverage away from his agent. That could work out well for the O's.

I think what's going on with Davis is he hit that 50 and he's expecting to be that guy now. Meanwhile the league adjusted going back to the 2nd half of last year and he hasn't changed his approach to  counter that adjustment. I wonder if the hitting coach has given him the right advice or if he's given it and it hasn't been taken

Edited by bmore_ken, 22 August 2014 - 06:48 AM.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#10 Vapored

Vapored

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:47 AM

b_ken- good points

#11 aurelius

aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

Davis will be OK, I think the shift had gotten into his head, and it's just snowballed. Maybe he's not that 2013 50 HR guy but nor is he a scrub that his 2014 production might suggest. And I'd like to see Manny moved back to SS where he would be even more valuable defensively. I just don't know that CD is up to being an everyday 3B from a defensive standpoint.

#12 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,804 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

It's a small sample size but Davis looks better since he's been in the 7th hole to me. Maybe it's just a coincidence but I think Buck should leave him there for the rest of the season. If he's truly snapping out of it that makes the bottom of the lineup pretty potent with him and Schoop down there which should only help the guys in the middle of the order.

I also think this is a better lineup with Young getting more time. The way it looks right now Manny can take his time until he's 100 º/o healthy. It also helps that Pierce is hitting again.

#13 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

It's a small sample size but Davis looks better since he's been in the 7th hole to me. Maybe it's just a coincidence but I think Buck should leave him there for the rest of the season. If he's truly snapping out of it that makes the bottom of the lineup pretty potent with him and Schoop down there which should only help the guys in the middle of the order.

I also think this is a better lineup with Young getting more time. The way it looks right now Manny can take his time until he's 100 º/o healthy. It also helps that Pierce is hitting again.

Yep. Davis is adequate at 3B, and with Young and Pierce hitting, we do not miss Manny's bat - for now. It would, however, be very good to get him back NLT mid-September so he has time to get back into the flow; his return to the lineup in May was not pretty for well over 100 ABs IIRC.

#14 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,596 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

I'm not overly enthused about a guy who is only hitting adequately at AA.  .864 is a good OPS in the majors, but you have to imagine that if that's his AA number, it'll be closer to .700 when he's facing the best pitchers in the world.  Not a ton of power either, at a premium power position.

I guess it's possible he winds up being great, but I wouldn't operate as if he will be.

The kids are alright.

#15 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

Davis will be OK, I think the shift had gotten into his head, and it's just snowballed. Maybe he's not that 2013 50 HR guy but nor is he a scrub that his 2014 production might suggest. And I'd like to see Manny moved back to SS where he would be even more valuable defensively. I just don't know that CD is up to being an everyday 3B from a defensive standpoint.

If I am the GM I resign Hardy for 3 or 4 more years and you have the best left side of the infield in the game. Why mess that up?

#16 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

I'm not overly enthused about a guy who is only hitting adequately at AA.  .864 is a good OPS in the majors, but you have to imagine that if that's his AA number, it'll be closer to .700 when he's facing the best pitchers in the world.  Not a ton of power either, at a premium power position.

I guess it's possible he winds up being great, but I wouldn't operate as if he will be.

While that may be true, If I am the GM I know that I control this guy for the next four or five years and in 2015 he'll be making the major league minimum as opposed to 13 to 16 million which I can then spend elsewhere. He's now at triple A and the reports are that he's hitting with excellent power at the ripe old age of 23 so I believe there's still a considerable upside.. We have next year to evaluate both him and Davis. Hey, if Davis is actually a 260/270 hitter who will put in 35 to 40 homers then maybe he's worth 14/16 million a year.

#17 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

Davis is almost at the .180's

That's 18 hits in 100 at bats.
:(

#18 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:42 PM

Something tells me that next year Davis is going to be in the 240 to 260 range with 25 to 30 home runs and 70 to 90 RBIs and I think that's the hitter he is.

#19 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

Something tells me that next year Davis is going to be in the 240 to 260 range with 25 to 30 home runs and 70 to 90 RBIs and I think that's the hitter he is.

You may be right, but the future (beyond 2015) is someone other than Chris Davis.  There are two things working against him to stay in Baltimore.  One is Scott Boras who will hang onto 2013 numbers like grim death in getting Davis a new deal.  And two, there is no way Duquette will commit a big multi year deal to a guy that can be this abysmal for this long of time.  Risk is too high it will happen again.  I look for Davis to struggle again somewhat next year and be shuffled off in a mid-year deal to clear room for Walker to take over first base next July.

#20 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

You may be right, but the future (beyond 2015) is someone other than Chris Davis.  There are two things working against him to stay in Baltimore.  One is Scott Boras who will hang onto 2013 numbers like grim death in getting Davis a new deal.  And two, there is no way Duquette will commit a big multi year deal to a guy that can be this abysmal for this long of time.  Risk is too high it will happen again.  I look for Davis to struggle again somewhat next year and be shuffled off in a mid-year deal to clear room for Walker to take over first base next July.

I agree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users