Gizmo

Surgery being reported for Manny

44 posts in this topic

I hope he has the brains and ability to come back from this.

And I hope we still have the defense to win a ring without him.

Tim Brown is apparently a legit reporter.  Feeling a combination of extreme disappointment, anger and frustration. 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

Not sure who Tim Brown is but from Bucks comments recently and now this it seems like it may be true.  Feeling a combination of extreme disappointment, anger and frustration. 

Yeah, I wasn't familiar with the guy either. 

Britt now has a short article that basically relies on his report.

Edited by Gizmo

Roch or Britt had a picture posted of Manny's knee being bent the wrong way at the moment of injury back when it happened. Based on that I have been a little bit skeptical of the 'just sprained' diagnosis. From the pic it really looked like some kind of internal damage had to have occurred.

Edited by Gizmo

Roch or Britt had a picture posted of Manny's knee being bent the wrong way at the moment of injury back when it happened. Based on that I have been a little bit skeptical of the 'just sprained' diagnosis. From the pic it really looked like some kind of internal damage had to have occurred.

I wondered early in the season, after seeing what happened last year, if he shouldn't be wearing braces on both knees.  

You mean we can stop pretending this is a good team?  :D

Shh. I'm doing my thing. Read my member title.

Tough break, but the season's not over. This team did not rise and fall on Machado this year, and never did.

Very tough break.  I had a feeling they might need to tighten up that knee after the injury, didn't he have these issues when he was younger?  I seem to recall them explaining that last year when he hurt his other knee, that the ligaments were "loose" in both.

He recovered fine from the previous surgery, I'm sure he'll do fine with this one.

Still, tough blow to the Orioles...damnit.

He would probably cost us Bundy. Naw, don't do it.

If all Beltre cost us was a minor league pitcher who hasn't even fully recovered from Tommy John, I'd do it in a second and give Beltre a 3 year deal beyond that. He's going to be a good hitter for a while, and being able to take over 3rd base when Machado's knees decide to give out for what seems like the 74th time is a valuable asset.

If all Beltre cost us was a minor league pitcher who hasn't even fully recovered from Tommy John, I'd do it in a second and give Beltre a 3 year deal beyond that. He's going to be a good hitter for a while, and being able to take over 3rd base when Machado's knees decide to give out for what seems like the 74th time is a valuable asset.

The problem is Beltre's contract is between 15 and 17 mil over the next 3 years. We'd probably lose a couple more players along the way. Now if we want to mortgage the future for a chance to win this year then go for it but if we give up Bundy along with the other guys too the future is done.

Too bad we spent all that money on Jimenez.

The problem is Beltre's contract is between 15 and 17 mil over the next 3 years. We'd probably lose a couple more players along the way. Now if we want to mortgage the future for a chance to win this year then go for it but if we give up Bundy along with the other guys too the future is done.

Too bad we spent all that money on Jimenez.

Bundy alone is not the future. If the Rangers wanted the top 5 prospects in the Orioles' system for Beltre and Darvish I'd trip over myself to sign on the dotted line. The Rangers themselves are a perfect example of how fleeting division titles, and even winning seasons, can be. Edited by Slidemaster

Bundy alone is not the future. If the Rangers wanted the top 5 prospects in the Orioles' system for Beltre and Darvish I'd trip over myself to sign on the dotted line. The Rangers themselves are a perfect example of how fleeting division titles, and even winning seasons, can be.

I'm not talking about just Bundy. If we got Darvish and Beltre say goodbye to Wieters, Davis, Hardy and possibly Markakis.

I'm not talking about just Bundy. If we got Darvish and Beltre say goodbye to Wieters, Davis, Hardy and possibly Markakis.

I would happily put a bow on Wieters and send him out the door. They don't want Hardy or Markakis because they're both at the end of their contracts.

If Wieters, Bundy, Harvey, and any two other guys of their choice in the minors got it done for Darvish and Beltre, sign me the F up.

This is not the end of the season. I think the world of Manny especially as the long term answer at SS. His 755 OPS is OK but not spectacular for 3B.

It can be a challenge but it probably just means Pearce and Young get more consistent playing time. That's not a lineup killer at all.

Defensively you will not find a better 3B anywhere. So yes that hurts. Hopefully that won't make a huge difference.

One thing that won't change because of this..... The 2014 Orioles will go as far as their pitching takes them.

On another note Jim Duquette is questioning if Manny's shortstop days are over after 2 knee surgeries. Of course it's too early to know but those are the kind of things the team has to think about. This might make signing Hardy more of a priority.