#1 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:17 PM

I don't honestly know enough about why Texas blows chunks this year but under what circumstances does it make sense for them to move Beltre? They could obviously use that money to acquire another starter or several key positions.

As for the O's, could we get him and then unload him this winter for prospects? There's got to be teams out there that would want him.

Or he could start next year at 3rd and move to dh when Machado comes up. This would give Machado more playing time in triple to actually be ready. He clearly wasn't quite ready this year when we brought him up.

We could also potentially move Beltre at the july deadline.

Discuss!

Edited by JoyinMudville, 22 August 2014 - 11:19 PM.

#2 douglas tomlinson

douglas tomlinson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

Definitely should inquire about him.  His contract is through 2015 and if Cruz isn't resigned then he is a good option at DH and spelling Manny at 3B.  Maybe he can learn 1B and LF to make him versatile.  He's getting a little old so this can prolong his career and help the O's.

#3 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,937 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

Beltre? Why, unless you are moving JJ in the offseason? Machado can't stay on the field at 3rd - how is he going to stay healthy at SS?
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#4 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:56 PM

Beltre? Why, unless you are moving JJ in the offseason? Machado can't stay on the field at 3rd - how is he going to stay healthy at SS?

I've always felt that signing Hardy was a no brainer.

Beltre gets us through 2014 and helps us in the playoffs. As I said, based on this year I don't think Manny is going to really be ready to play until May or June. Beltre can start the season at 3rd and then move into the dh role or be traded. Just thinking out loud

#5 douglas tomlinson

douglas tomlinson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:16 PM

Hope Manny isn't going to be like Nolan Reimold.  

#6 catatonia

catatonia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:38 AM

Trade Manny for Beltre. I wonder if Texas would do it?

I'm not saying that entirely in jest.

I'd be tempted to go Bundy for Beltre straight up but then no one player is going to guarantee a World Series, much less a win. Texas would doubtless want more than Bundy however -- Texas isn't rebuilding, they expect to be competitive next year -- and no way I'd give them Bundy and Harvey. Paying Beltre, the O's would be less likely to sign Hardy which means Machado moves to SS but with his knee problems, I don't see that happening. 

So much of the the success of this pitching staff depends on the O's peerless defense. Is Britton, say, going to be anywhere as effective as he is if Machado is not on third? (I suppose there's a way to look up how Britton's done with Manny playing/not playing third, but I'm too lazy to figure it out.) And Pearce on first --- I suppose that would be the move -- is a dropoff from Davis.

If Davis is at third that makes Delmon Young a full timer I guess and since his OPS this year is .765 (v. Machado's .760, albeit rising) that's not much of a dropoff offensively at least statistically. But Delmon full time takes away the O's best (only?) pinch-hitting threat. Any other option than Davis moving to third -- getting Flaherty involved, for instance -- means the last four averages in the lineup are .190/.225/.196/.216 (if it's Davis/Joseph/Flaherty/Schoop). That's pretty ugly.

#7 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:48 PM

After the offensive debacle this weekend against the Cubs, Duquette has to make this deal for Beltre.  Chris Davis of 2013 or even 2012 is not walking through that door this year.  He is complete toast at the plate.  So if we want to make a run we need another middle of the order bat.  As long as you don't give up the complete farm, the deal makes sense for this year and the following two years.   I don't think Hardy is back for 2015 and Davis/Weiters won't be back for 2016.  This will help bridge that gap.  And you can sell it to Petey he won't be on hook for the 40-50 mil to Hardy.  That will wash the 34 mil owed to Beltre.  Just need Manny to comeback to play short next year.

#8 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

After the offensive debacle this weekend against the Cubs, Duquette has to make this deal for Beltre. Chris Davis of 2013 or even 2012 is not walking through that door this year. He is complete toast at the plate. So if we want to make a run we need another middle of the order bat. As long as you don't give up the complete farm, the deal makes sense for this year and the following two years. I don't think Hardy is back for 2015 and Davis/Weiters won't be back for 2016. This will help bridge that gap. And you can sell it to Petey he won't be on hook for the 40-50 mil to Hardy. That will wash the 34 mil owed to Beltre. Just need Manny to comeback to play short next year.

I was thinking the same thing. This series might force us to make a major move that could change the course of the organization. We only have a week to decide if we want to go for it all or stay the course and hope this was a fluke. There are some tough decisions to make and this series didn't help.

#9 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:41 AM

I was thinking the same thing. This series might force us to make a major move that could change the course of the organization. We only have a week to decide if we want to go for it all or stay the course and hope this was a fluke. There are some tough decisions to make and this series didn't help.

Another option to wash out the Beltre dollars is to non-tender Davis.  Cruz will also be asking for crazy dollars so doubt he will be back either.  That's 18 mil or so saved next year just off of last years contracts.  That would leave door open for Hardy possibly.  I'm sure Beltre could play a good first base and DH a little.  Beltre is exactly the type of high average/power bat this line-up needs for the stretch run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users