18. Old Mill

19. Quince Orchard

20. Fort Hill

21. Bishop McNamara

22. Eleanor Roosevelt

23. Meade

24. Clarksburg

25. Calvert Hall

Others Receiving Votes: DuVal, Saint Mary's Ryken, Saint Frances, River Hill, Saint Paul's, Archbishop Spalding, Oakdale, Douglass (Baltimore), Glenelg, Thomas Stone, Perry Hall, Potomac, Paint Branch, C.M. Wright, Avalon, Blair

FREDERICK, Md. — The Maryland High School Football State Poll, in its 25th year, is based on a statewide voting by sports reporters. Schools are ranked by points received. The number in parenthesis reflects first-place votes. LY is last year’s final rank. The rankings are compiled by Sheldon Shealer.

#2 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,190 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:21 PM

I think it's pretty much known that DeMatha isn't the top team in the state. I would have it McDonogh then Gilman then probably ECA.

#3 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:10 AM

I have great issue with the ranking logic.  You say ECA is the third best team in the state yet you say ECA would get its lunch handed to them against the teams they'll face in Texas.  You even ranted about one team scoring 80 on ECA.  Can such a team really be the #3 team in the state?  And of course I know of that SOS thing but in theory, could a team play 10 great teams and lose to all of them ( 0 - 10 ) or even several of them ( 5 and 5 ) and still be highly ranked.  Furthermore, you say Gilman is #2 yet you sound so loser talkish about Gilman chances with St. E.  Top dawgs to me do not go into any games so shaky.  The best teams with the best players just step up to show they are the best and NOT settle for being #2, especially within it's own league.

#2 in the state and #2 in your league just sounds like loser talk AND I Want Winners...Step Up Bravehearts!

#4 agentorange

agentorange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:57 AM

OLD MILL 1

#5 mrniceguy

mrniceguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

Who scored 80 on ECA?

#6 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:38 PM

Greyhound Alum posted some where here and some other board that he thinks DeSoto ( some Texas team I believe ) will drop 80 points on ECA. 

#7 berich3

berich3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

The teams in 1-10 look good, but I would have them in a different order.  10-25 I would drop some teams.  Arundel destroyed Wise in their scrimmage yesterday.  It would have been a running clock if it were a real game.  Wise is going to get massacred by St. Peter's Prep.  They're getting a lot of love for a team that went 7-4 last year and graduated most of its top talent.  Fort Hill only brings back like 5 starters from last year.  Suitland only brings back 2 starters from last year.  This poll will have a lot of movement after next week.

#8 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

All polls have tons of movement when first games are played rather than going off of last year and current season scrimmages.  Unlike college football where the big boys play DIIIIIIII schools to open their season, the better high school team open with teams who can clean their clocks.  I Love It!  So Don't Worry; Be Happy.  It's only one game and just a poll at stake.  That amounts to very little if every thing else is taken care of.

Edited by DayWalker, 05 September 2014 - 04:21 AM.

#9 benhur

benhur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

I wonder why I feel so good about having my favorite ranked at 25? I see a storm brewing and CHC and Mt. St. Joe are in the middle of it. Gilman, McDonogh, and Good Counsel (the resource guys) will probably be at the top when the smoke clear but I am betting they are going to be challenged right down to the wire. Oh by the way, I am forecasting Transfer U will implode by midseason and be a punching bag for the rest of the conference.

#10 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,190 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:52 PM

The transfer U thing is funny. But shouldn't it be Transfer High or Academy? Either way, that's a pretty bad loss to Friendship. They had a mass exodus after their coach left.

#11 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,190 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:54 PM

I wonder why I feel so good about having my favorite ranked at 25? I see a storm brewing and CHC and Mt. St. Joe are in the middle of it. Gilman, McDonogh, and Good Counsel (the resource guys) will probably be at the top when the smoke clear but I am betting they are going to be challenged right down to the wire. Oh by the way, I am forecasting Transfer U will implode by midseason and be a punching bag for the rest of the conference.

Of the Maryland schools, MSJ's win was the most impressive. McDonogh's should have beaten that team by more and CHC played a horrible team. Good Counsel beat Wilson pretty badly, but it's Wilson.

#12 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

Odd you mention what MSJ and McDonogh and Calvert Hall and Good Counsel did BUT not a single word on how Gilman did against St John's, their final tune up for St E.  What gives GA!!

Well, it's for real game day for the dawgs so what ever happened with ST J is water under the bridge.

#13 benhur

benhur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

Gilman just being out played. They are not playing very good right now. Maybe they will settle down. St Ed's first two td's were gifts.

Edited by benhur, 31 August 2014 - 04:18 PM.

#14 First_Down

First_Down

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:37 PM

Gilman just being out played. They are not playing very good right now. Maybe they will settle down. St Ed's first two td's were gifts.

Gifts!!!!  What do you mean?  Saint Edward marched down the field for the first TD.  They called a good doubled pass play on the second TD based in my opinion on what they saw from the first series.  It wasn't some freak fumble or something.  SE played good heads up football.

#15 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:41 PM

Agreed - I didn't see any gifts, unless Gilman's play calling is considered a gift. 

Edited by gillytech, 04 September 2014 - 01:45 PM.

#16 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:51 PM

OLD MILL 1

What are you smoking, Man?

#17 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,190 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:15 PM

Agreed - I didn't see any gifts, unless Gilman's play calling is considered a gift.

That's pretty much a gift.

#18 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:34 PM

That's football...you live or die by decisions.  The play calling wasn't a gift.  Gilman would have been grind it out smash-mouth football geniuses if things had work out for them and everyone in here would be telling Gilman to put the metal to the pedal and run Locksley up the gut more.

Edited by DayWalker, 04 September 2014 - 04:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users