• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bowie-Bruce

Bowie-Bruce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,616 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

I had the opportunity to visit Wrigley once again last weekend, attending the O's/Cubs game on Saturday afternoon. And once again, I was reminded of what a jewel this place is. Moreso than any other professional sport, baseball is all about its history. Stepping inside Wrigley, like Fenway, is like stepping into history; the place is currently celebrating its 100 year anniversary. From the ivy covered outfield walls and the old style jazz band performing at the entrance to the real organ (which played a bunch of pop tunes during that interminable rain delay) player, it feels like you are stepping back into time. Don't bother looking for a jumbotron here.

As for the outside, imagine old Memorial Stadium to a degree. Located right in teh middle of a residential area, but much more in the way of watering holes and restaurants. I believe weird-o used the word carnival; that's about as succinct a description as any. Just a festive celebration of the great game of baseball.

On a somewhat related note, I am imposing a self moratorium on attending future O's and Ravens games in Chicago. Went to the Ravens game last year, where they lost following a tornado delay. I'm bad news.

Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.
--Thoreau

#2 Passarino

Passarino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,199 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

While Wrigley Field opened in 1914 (as Weeghman Park), it was for the Federal League's Chicago Whales.  When the FL folded after 2 seasons, Whales' owner Charlie Weeghman obtained controlling interest in the Cubs and moved them there from West Side Park for the 1916 season.

Weeghman's Field became Cubs Park in 1920 and Wrigley Field in 1927.

On my one trip to Wrigley, in 1991, we had seats in the lower bowl under the upper deck.  There were steel I-beams supporting the upper deck and as a result some seats were obstructed view.  A gentleman and his son sat down in front and to the right of us behind one of the beams and shouted "These seats suck!"  My friend asked the guy to look at his ticket and the guy was in the right row and set but in the wrong section.  My friend tells him "Your seats are 2 sections over".  "Thank God because these seats suck!", he replied.  He and his son get up and about a minute later, from 2 sections over we hear "These seats suck!" Seems the support columns are equally spaced with the seats :)

#3 Passarino

Passarino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,199 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:08 PM

It's funny you mention the lack of a Jumbotron.

http://espn.go.com/c...ge-not-approved

"By far the thorniest issue is the plan for a 6,000-square-foot video screen over left field, as seen in many major league ballparks. The difference is that Wrigley Field -- the second oldest ballpark in Major League Baseball behind Fenway Park in Boston -- is surrounded by privately owned clubs with rooftop bleachers whose owners object to any changes that could block their bird's-eye views into the stadium."

#4 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,673 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

BY FAR my favorite stadium... the atmosphere there, the feel of the place, etc... just awesome.  The original Yankee Stadium did little for me, and Fenway was neat enough but honestly didn't live up to my expectations.  The view of the game from behind home plate on a nice sunny afternoon... second to none.

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#5 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

It's on my to do list

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,960 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

BY FAR my favorite stadium... the atmosphere there, the feel of the place, etc... just awesome.  The original Yankee Stadium did little for me, and Fenway was neat enough but honestly didn't live up to my expectations.  The view of the game from behind home plate on a nice sunny afternoon... second to none.

I feel the same way. I really thought Fenway, Tiger & Yankee stadia would dazzle me, but they didn't. Wrigley is the best venue in the sport. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#7 kudzu

kudzu

Engorged Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,702 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:18 PM

Nothing can top PG County Stadium, Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users