• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

I enjoyed reading this article and thought I would post it.

Baltimore leads the AL East because of it's discount rotation and consistent bullpen

#2 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

I enjoyed reading this article and thought I would post it.

Baltimore leads the AL East because of it's discount rotation and consistent bullpen

I think it's a pretty fair assessment. Thanks for sharing!

#3 alienrace

alienrace

Destroyer of Trolls and B.S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,356 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

Great article, and really nails it.  The O's pitching has quietly been outstanding after a rocky start.

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#4 upROAR71

upROAR71

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

Good read. There IS more to the Post than Boswell.

#5 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

Good read. There IS more to the Post than Boswell.

I think the only negative I can find about DC getting the Nationals is that Boswell doesn't write about the O's anymore.

Nice article

Edited by JoyinMudville, 29 August 2014 - 12:45 PM.

#6 Bowie-Bruce

Bowie-Bruce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,545 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

I've always found Boswell to be an outstanding baseball writer, although IMHO he can be too much of a Nationals homer at times.

Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.
--Thoreau

#7 aurelius

aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:08 AM

The word is finally getting out.

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,628 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:53 AM

I lived in the DC area in the 90's. I read Boswell everyday. he is a good writer, but he ceaselessly whined about how unfair it was that Baltimore had a baseball team, and DC didn't. he harped on that issue for the 10 tears I lived there. he repeatedly called Baltimore an inferior city that didn't deserve a team over DC. he was the living embodiment of Fernand Mondego. no matter how much more he had, he was jealous of little old Edmund Baltimore Dontes.  

I would prefer it if he would never write about the O's again. you have your baseball team Tommy, now go away.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#9 Creekman

Creekman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

Boswell is definitely joined at the hip with Washington.   He never had anything good to say about Baltimore or Angelos. 

#10 kudzu

kudzu

Significant Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,925 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

Yo, all you Baltimoreans.

Boswell is a DC guy.  Always has been, always will be.

And as the weird one notes, he's a good writer (btw, it's Edmond Dantes, not Dontes :) ) who quite fairly noted that there was no reason whatsoever that Baltimore should have a baseball team while DC should not have one.

Same argument in reverse for football applies.

It's not whining if it's true...

#11 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

He never had anything good to say about Baltimore or Angelos. 

Oh, that's not true at all...

#12 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,628 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

Tom should have stuck with the opinion he once held, which was, DC also deserves a baseball team. when he started to rant about DC being more deserving, and when he opined that the O's should be moved to DC, that was pure ridiculousness.        

and Joy is right, Boswell was complimentary of the O's and Baltimore, at one time. but he let the politics of the game cloud his judgement. he began to place misguided blame and resent toward Baltimore. Angelos certainly did his best to block a team from moving into DC, but Angelos was only on the scene in the early 90's. if MLB thought DC was a viable market, they had about 20 years to make that move, after the Senators left for Dallas. they didn't, and that can't be blamed on the O's. EBW was a DC guy. if DC was a viable market, he had every opportunity to move the O's down there. he didn't. for ~5 years, the O's had no owner to oppose a DC team. Tom doesn't have a counter argument for that point. it's just easier to blame Angelos for things that happened before he owned the O's.     

Edited by weird-O, 31 August 2014 - 01:56 PM.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#13 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

Boswell is a DC guy.
Always has been, always will be.

He's one of the few.

DC is a sideshow attraction, one where much of the middle class is transient, and loyalty is more political (with a capital "p") than regional.

This is why DC hadn't had a team for so long. It takes a population of 4 times Baltimore's to support a team. Look at viewership. Look at general interest. The Nats have to win for years in order to develop a following like the O's.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#14 kudzu

kudzu

Significant Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,925 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:23 PM

Tom should have stuck with the opinion he once held, which was, DC also deserves a baseball team. when he started to rant about DC being more deserving, and when he opined that the O's should be moved to DC, that was pure ridiculousness.        

and Joy is right, Boswell was complimentary of the O's and Baltimore, at one time. but he let the politics of the game cloud his judgement. he began to place misguided blame and resent toward Baltimore. Angelos certainly did his best to block a team from moving into DC, but Angelos was only on the scene in the early 90's. if MLB thought DC was a viable market, they had about 20 years to make that move, after the Senators left for Dallas. they didn't, and that can't be blamed on the O's. EBW was a DC guy. if DC was a viable market, he had every opportunity to move the O's down there. he didn't. for ~5 years, the O's had no owner to oppose a DC team. Tom doesn't have a counter argument for that point. it's just easier to blame Angelos for things that happened before he owned the O's.     

Boswell is an extraordinary journalist.  He's also human.

His attacks on Baltimore were very misguided.

His attacks on Angelos, however, were spot on.

#15 kudzu

kudzu

Significant Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,925 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

He's one of the few.

DC is a sideshow attraction, one where much of the middle class is transient, and loyalty is more political (with a capital "p") than regional.

This is why DC hadn't had a team for so long. It takes a population of 4 times Baltimore's to support a team. Look at viewership. Look at general interest. The Nats have to win for years in order to develop a following like the O's.

Tell me about your time in the DC area, FFH.

In particular, tell me about your time in the DC area as a baseball fan who willingly adopted the O's But knew that DC deserved it's own team.

You cannot do the latter without the former.

I however, can.

#16 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:14 PM

Tell me about your time in the DC area, FFH.

In particular, tell me about your time in the DC area as a baseball fan who willingly adopted the O's But knew that DC deserved it's own team.

You cannot do the latter without the former.

I however, can.

As a current Washington resident, he is pretty much spot on about middle class transient assessment. I will say that Northern VA has really "stepped up to the plate" when comes to supporting the Nats.

#17 kudzu

kudzu

Significant Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,925 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:13 PM

As a current Washington resident, he is pretty much spot on about middle class transient assessment. I will say that Northern VA has really "stepped up to the plate" when comes to supporting the Nats.

FFH was right on some things and wrong on others.

There's a definite transient upper class (or rather upper middle class) around DC.  They have no loyalty to DC sports teams whatsoever.  Best you can hope from them is that they'll adopt the Nats as a second team or do the whole frontrunner thing while the Nats are good.

But then there's the DC natives.  Here is where FFH and other outsiders miss the boat.  They probably comprise half of the DC area population, to roughly the same as the total Baltimore population.

They need time to build into a Nats fanbase.  No baseball in an area for 35 years has an impact.  That's a generation plus, possibly lost to another team.  You know that there are DC natives that are still, and will always be, Orioles fans, right ?

As any old timer around here can tell you, I've made these arguments many, many times.

DC can totally support a baseball team.  So can Baltimore.  They are separate markets and fan bases despite the proximity.

#18 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,628 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:34 PM

FFH was right on some things and wrong on others.

There's a definite transient upper class (or rather upper middle class) around DC.  They have no loyalty to DC sports teams whatsoever.  Best you can hope from them is that they'll adopt the Nats as a second team or do the whole frontrunner thing while the Nats are good.

But then there's the DC natives.  Here is where FFH and other outsiders miss the boat.  They probably comprise half of the DC area population, to roughly the same as the total Baltimore population.

They need time to build into a Nats fanbase.  No baseball in an area for 35 years has an impact.  That's a generation plus, possibly lost to another team.  You know that there are DC natives that are still, and will always be, Orioles fans, right ?

As any old timer around here can tell you, I've made these arguments many, many times.

DC can totally support a baseball team.  So can Baltimore.  They are separate markets and fan bases despite the proximity.

yep

I had the good fortune to live down there all those years ago. I guess that's what it takes to really understand how far NoVA stretches out, or how densely populated it is with people who were born and raised in the area. When I left, friends and co-workers had already begun moving out to Hamilton, Winchester and Front Royal. good Lord, that's out there. 

#19 aurelius

aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:46 PM

Front Royal. Now you're getting far enough away from DC to remove the stench.

Edited by aurelius, 04 September 2014 - 03:47 PM.

#20 kudzu

kudzu

Significant Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,925 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:50 PM

yep

I had the good fortune to live down there all those years ago. I guess that's what it takes to really understand how far NoVA stretches out, or how densely populated it is with people who were born and raised in the area. When I left, friends and co-workers had already begun moving out to Hamilton, Winchester and Front Royal. good Lord, that's out there. 

Out of curiosity, how many year did you live "down there" ?

As you noted, there's a massive native DC fan base.  It's just overshadowed by the transients.

I still own property in Front Royal, btw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users