16 replies to this topic

#1 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:49 PM

Roch

We gave up Jemile Weeks and Ivan DeJesus Jr.

Earlier tonight we acquired Alejando De Aza from the White Sox for minor league pitchers Miguel Chalas and Mark Blackmar. Roch article.

Edited by Gizmo, 30 August 2014 - 09:54 PM.

#2 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

I like the fact that they are being proactive. I listened to Buck talk about these two players improving the depth of the team and I think it sends a message to the team that we are going for it all this year. Great move by Dan and Buck.

#3 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:01 AM

Mixed feelings. I am sure johnson can help and he has post season experience; although, based on the last 13 or so innings, I want Peredes starting at 3rd. As for the other guy, not sure what he brings that we don't already have with lough.

I always get nervous about mucking up a good thing although I am sure Johnson didn't get this far without being able to figure out how to fit into a clubhouse.

#4 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,938 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:03 AM

These are nice pick ups for this time of the year. De Aza could really be a quality depth pick up. Johnson - eh, the O's need more experience in the IF. I like that they got Almanzar back. I just wonder what Weeks did to keep himself down on the minors. It screams that there is much more here than meets the eye.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#5 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:34 AM

Johnson is now with his fifth AL East team since 2012.

2012 - Blue Jays
2013 - Rays
2014 - Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles

That has to be some sort of record.

His .212 average and strike out every 3 1/2 AB will fit right in.

Oh, and who gets sent out to make room for them on the post season roster?

Edited by Thirteen, 31 August 2014 - 04:38 AM.

#6 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,480 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:09 AM

De Aza is a decent lefty bat against RHP, they need one of those.

#7 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:48 AM

2012 - Blue Jays
2013 - Rays

Doesn't the roster grow for the postseason?

#8 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:55 AM

Doesn't the roster grow for the postseason?

No. Players need to be on the 25 man roster as of today to be post season eligible.

#9 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

No. Players need to be on the 25 man roster as of today to be post season eligible.

I think it is the 40 man roster.

There's two ideas. You can expand the 25 man roster for the last month of the season so there's room for these kind of guys.

Once you get to the playoffs you are back to a 25 man roster but you can adjust it for each round. In other words, you can leave Gausman off you roster for the division series but use him in the ALCS, et cetera.

#10 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

I think it is the 40 man roster.

There's two ideas. You can expand the 25 man roster for the last month of the season so there's room for these kind of guys.

Once you get to the playoffs you are back to a 25 man roster but you can adjust it for each round. In other words, you can leave Gausman off you roster for the division series but use him in the ALCS, et cetera.

Having said all that...

I don't know if I would pick Kelly Johnson over Schoop or Flahtery. Don't know. There's a part of me that says, go with the guys who got you here.

#11 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

http://en.wikipedia....stseason_roster

A postseason roster takes effect only if a team clinches a playoff berth. Players who are part of the team's final roster at the end of the regular season are eligible to participate in the postseason. Any player who has been traded from a different team, spent time in the Minor Leagues, or signed later in the season with the team (no later than August 31) are eligible to participate in the postseason. A postseason roster is allowed up to 25 active players. Other players who are not on the 25-man active roster will be placed on the secondary squad. Players who are on the disabled list or any other non-active transaction by the end of the regular season will have their transactions passed on in the postseason. Rosters for a series are set at the beginning of the series and no changes to the 25-man active roster are allowed except when a player is moved to the disabled list or any other inactive transaction. If a player is moved to the disabled list or another inactive transaction during a series, it then becomes ineligible to be returned to the 25-man active roster for the remainder of the series as well as the next series if applicable. If any player goes on any inactive transaction, any player from the secondary squad can be promoted to the 25-man active roster for the remainder of the series if applicable.[2]

To be eligible for the postseason active roster, a player must have either been on that team's active roster or disabled list as of midnight ET on August 31 of that year and not placed on the 60 day disabled list after August 1.[3] The one exception is for replacing players on the disabled list. Any injured player who is eligible for postseason play may be replaced by any player that was on an active or disabled list for either that team or any of its affiliated minor league teams at midnight August 31.[4] Players who do not participate in one game in the Majors before September 1 with the team's organization of the regular season will be declared ineligible for the team's 25-man active roster of the postseason and must be placed on either the restricted list or the secondary squad.

Players who are part of the team's final roster regardless of spending a majority of time in the Minors, being acquired in trades or waivers, serving the rest of the season on any inactive transactions such as the disabled list, or signing later for the team in the regular season will be eligible to receive a championship ring when the team wins the World Series.

#12 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,938 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

Having said all that...

I don't know if I would pick Kelly Johnson over Schoop or Flahtery. Don't know. There's a part of me that says, go with the guys who got you here.

That isn't the choice. Machado's spot is the one that is up for grabs.
They've already optioned McFarland for De Aza.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#13 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,371 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

I don't see how this helps or hurts, just meh

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#14 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:04 PM

I don't see how this helps or hurts, just meh

DD took Almanzar in the rule 5, but gave him back, because there was no room for a project on the team. the fact that he traded to get him back, is an interesting development. his scouts must see something in this guy.

his initial scouting reports said that he projects as a power hitter with avg D skills at 3B. after 5 yrs in the minors, he has the rep of a player with a questionable work ethic, no D skills and he can't catch up to plus fastballs. he has a quick swing with a snap at the end, but it's a long swing. hence, his being late on fastballs. apparently, he put something together in the past month or so, I guess DD sees this as a turn for the better.   

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#15 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:10 PM

2012 - Blue Jays
2013 - Rays

Gary Thorne just said that Johnson is the first player to play for all five AL East teams.  It's hard to believe it hasn't happened until now.

#16 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,480 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:26 PM

The Rays haven't been around that long.

#17 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,057 posts