• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 DBcoach_02

DBcoach_02

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:08 PM

I listen to my son and some of his other student athlete's friends have a conversation and they talked about how the last four years have flew by. They talked so positive about goals and most of all they talked about their struggles. The boys reflected on how they had no intentions of going to college let alone allowing college to be paid for through scholarships. They talked about the man that they owe most of this too and if was there coach (Coach Messay Hailemariam). They spoke about how he means so much to them and many other boys who have come from nothing or were headed to the streets, but this man stepped into their lives and changed it, gave them hope and goals. So many haters have talked bad about this SFA program but if it wasn't for this man who has sacrifice so much of his own life to the saving mission of many of these boys then where would many of these boys be.
I must truly say it was not easy but coach you pushed me as a mom and GOD knows I am grateful for my son and all the other sons achievements on and off the field because of you. Nobody knows about the other boys who have moved on and come back to show u love and thanks. 
So today is your day for being a GREAT leader in many of our children's lives.

This is from a parent of a SR player at SFA. Just something positive from a parents perspective.

#2 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

Massay is a good dude and definitely cares about the kids. He's intense and always have been but his intentions are good. Some might not agree with the methods of how SFA goes about their business and this is understandable but I think he does it not just for selfish reasons. Personally, I would love to have him on Gilman's staff. That being said, he needs to watch what he does because he has a bullseye on his back.

#3 mrniceguy

mrniceguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:46 PM

I heard he was a really good guy. That's why I'm curious why so many people talk negative about sfa

#4 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:56 PM

The Pharisees and others were very critical of Jesus and his quest to save mankind and their souls so what chance do you think this SFA coach will have against the current establishment!  And they killed Jesus, the son of God.

Edited by DayWalker, 01 September 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#5 mrniceguy

mrniceguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:57 PM

True

#6 benhur

benhur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

You do not have to all ways win in order to develop the character traits football and other athletic bolster. Loyalty, team effort, and tolerance can be taught without being "all everything". Most of these traits are learned and kids are not born with them. I hope SFA is putting the same effort and energy into the development of these traits and the academics that they seem to be putting into athletics. Do not get me wrong, you always fight for the win. You can actually lose a contest and still be a winner. You just can't let the effort to win corrupt your values and morals.

With that said maybe the folks who know can speak about the efforts to get these kids through college and into well paying careers (eg: tutoring, SAT preparation, and maintenance of a real college preparation curriculum). I coached for many years and only had (3) of my guys make it to the NFL. Many, many more benefited from a good education and have found their place in business and even a few are coaching in the Baltimore area today..

Edited by benhur, 01 September 2014 - 03:20 PM.

#7 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

You do not have to all ways win in order to develop the character traits football and other athletic bolster. Loyalty, team effort, and tolerance can be taught without being "all everything". Most of these traits are learned and kids are not born with them. I hope SFA is putting the same effort and energy into the development of these traits and the academics that they seem to be putting into athletics. Do not get me wrong, you always fight for the win. You can actually lose a contest and still be a winner. You just can't let the effort to win corrupt your values and morals.

With that said maybe the folks who know can speak about the efforts to get these kids through college and into well paying careers (eg: tutoring, SAT preparation, and maintenance of a real college preparation curriculum). I coached for many years and only had (3) of my guys make it to the NFL. Many, many more benefited from a good education and have found their place in business and even a few are coaching in the Baltimore area today..

Very very true.

#8 sparky1

sparky1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:33 PM

I think the problem that many have with SFA and coach Messay is not his football acumen or his intentions. I believe that he wants good things to happen to the boys he coaches, but I think that most football coaches-- and all coaches want good things to happen to the boys in their charge.  Why else coach at this level? It certainly is not for the money. Maybe it is the first rung on a career ladder or a chance to supplement income. 

The problem is that there is an assumption that somehow other coaches were keeping boys down, or stymying their dreams. A boy who was attending CHC for instance and playing football was in a good place academically and athletically. Unless someone can prove that he will get a better college experience from transferring from one high school to SFA the impression an outsider will have is that Messay is simply taking good athletes from other schools to win games.

A good private school high school will recruit middle school students like crazy, mentor and monitor them while they are in high school, and point them in the right direction for college. Taking the already college bound athlete from another high school and adding him to your school should get no applause. 

#9 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:36 PM

True

Dude, you really need to stop co-signing this guy. He has no clue what he talks about, he just rants without making a point. If SFA didn't have some powerful people behind them, don't you think they would have been thrown out of the league already? SFA and Massay has very powerful supporters and former backers. The ball is in his court now though. So if things goes left, it will be him and SFA that puts the bullet in the chamber. Not some so called plot by the establishment, they were formed by the establishment!

#10 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

Was it the same establishment who formed the school first as a girls school in 1828 and renamed it in 1850.  Was it the same establishment who set them up on Chase Street at 1870.  Or are you talking about when the school became coed in 1970.  By my count, that's about 185 years the school has exited.

Tell me GA, when was Gilman founded?

#11 Guest_harcohorns_*

Guest_harcohorns_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:57 PM

I really like all the talk about helping these kids but my reservations are the same as with FCA...  The same reesons I defended Red Lion and what they were doing so vehemently.  BUT SFA has no results,  Where is the list of kids they saved and are now in college?   Where is Washington? Where is Brady?    Like FCA who boasts 19 to 20 offered kids each year but only very few of them can be found on any college roster...  

Parents need to understand getting a offer is really NOTHING!    It just the first phase of 4 phases...  Get the offer..  Then qualify which is what many FCA and SFA kids fail to do,,   Once in school you have to have the academics to take advantage of the offer...   Gilman, CHC. DeMatha. McD and even ECA now. all have the track history and alumni back it up FCA and SFA does not..   Offers don't mean anything if it doesn't result in a degree or NFL contract....  You can only get the degree if you are college prep prepared academically,, just getting by the clearing house is not enough... 

Edited by harcohorns, 01 September 2014 - 06:01 PM.

#12 mrniceguy

mrniceguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:28 PM

Mmm

Edited by mrniceguy, 01 September 2014 - 06:33 PM.

#13 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:50 PM

I really like all the talk about helping these kids but my reservations are the same as with FCA...  The same reesons I defended Red Lion and what they were doing so vehemently.  BUT SFA has no results,  Where is the list of kids they saved and are now in college?   Where is Washington? Where is Brady?    Like FCA who boasts 19 to 20 offered kids each year but only very few of them can be found on any college roster...  

Parents need to understand getting a offer is really NOTHING!    It just the first phase of 4 phases...  Get the offer..  Then qualify which is what many FCA and SFA kids fail to do,,   Once in school you have to have the academics to take advantage of the offer...   Gilman, CHC. DeMatha. McD and even ECA now. all have the track history and alumni back it up FCA and SFA does not..   Offers don't mean anything if it doesn't result in a degree or NFL contract....  You can only get the degree if you are college prep prepared academically,, just getting by the clearing house is not enough... 

Harc

There are a heck of lot more schools in the state and in the nation than DeMatha, McD, ECA, and the others you name.  Less than 3 or perhaps 2% of all the kids involved in football who would be talented enough to play college football and would want to play in college get to do so.  So when you do your SFA survey, do the same for all schools and you just may find that a heck of lot of those kids aren't there and it ain't just FCA or SFA.  Many a kid who even gets to commit don't actually go to the schools they committed to because of the kid's academics and it ain't just FCA or SFA.  I've seen kids from DeMatha go prep and or no where at all.  I've seen some of these prestigious programs launch their academic dead weight as seniors.  GA has mentioned several times how if one doesn't measure up then they are dismissed.  How many of them were so-called worked with ( used for three years ) and then dismissed as seniors to insure the matriculation books continue to look good?

Supposedly The Best academic program is at Gilman.  They also supposedly have a 90%-plus matriculation rate.  Transpose this to the football team.  How many seniors did Gilman have last year?  Now how many actually matriculated and where are they?  Are they in college on football scholarships like they were at Gilman or what?

Recall the DeMatha class with Marcus Coker and I think Jeff Knox and some 20 other commits.  I recall Coker was suspended at Iowa and he asked for and was granted a release.  Knox went up to Pitt and got his girlfriend pregnant and he kick her butt when she informed him and he was released from Pitt when charged with assault.  Many things happen to all walks and NOT just FCA or SFA.  Look at what happened to Wes Brown at Maryland and one of the Jacob brothers who are receivers. How about the Banks kid from Gwynn Park who was with James Franklin now of Penn State when he was at Vanderbilt?

Edited by DayWalker, 01 September 2014 - 07:08 PM.

#14 Guest_harcohorns_*

Guest_harcohorns_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:01 PM

Harc

There are a heck of lot more schools in the state and in the nation than DeMatha, McD, ECA, and the others you name.  Less than 2 or perhaaps 3% of all the kids involved in football who would be talented enough to play college football and would want to play in college get to do so.  So when you do your SFA survey, do the same for all schools and you just may find that a heck of lot of those kids aren't there and it ain't just FCA or SFA.  Many a kid who even gets to commit don't actually go to the schools they committed to because of the kid's academics and it ain't just FCA or SFA.  I've seen kids from DeMatha go prep and or no where at all.  I've seen some of these prestigious programs launch their academic dead weight as seniors.  GA has mentioned several times how if one doesn't measure up then they are dismissed.  How many of them were so-called worked with ( used for three years ) and then dismissed as seniors to insure the matriculation books continue to look good?

Supposedly The Best academic program is at Gilman.  They also supposedly have a 90%-plus matriculation rate.  Transpose this to the football team.  How many seniors did Gilman have last year?  Now how many actually matriculated and where are they?  Are they in college on football scholarships like they were at Gilman or what?

Yes but those schools aren't  hoodwinking parents into transferring there for promises of offers ..  Gilman and the rest deliver even if not athletic scholarship the academic counselors get kids in schools with academic or financial aide packages,,,   That is the point you can go to Gilman and even if you don't get an athletic scholarship they have the support in place to get you in college and have it paid for via other avenues... SFA they don't its football scholarship or bust..  As a parent unless your kid is truly gifted as a athlete or student you play the percentages...

Edited by harcohorns, 01 September 2014 - 08:58 PM.

#15 Guest_harcohorns_*

Guest_harcohorns_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:12 PM

I have  no problem with SFA if their purpose is to take in failing kids and pull kids off the corners and give them hope and an opportunity .. I am all for that,,, My eyebrows get raised when they pull kids from good performing academic schools to come there,  same as it was for  FCA ..  I was all for FCA until they started convincing kids to leave schools like Carroll , etc.. to come to a under-performing DC public charter...   This takes us back to the whole getting offers thing and parens valuing that over a good HS education... or trying to take an easier route... 

#16 Outside Looking In

Outside Looking In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:54 PM

I have  no problem with SFA if their purpose is to take in failing kids and pull kids off the corners and give them hope and an opportunity .. I am all for that,,, My eyebrows get raised when they pull kids from good performing academic schools to come there,  same as it was for  FCA ..  I was all for FCA until they started convincing kids to leave schools like Carroll , etc.. to come to a under-performing DC public charter...   This takes us back to the whole getting offers thing and parens valuing that over a good HS education... or trying to take an easier route... 

Was FCA the school the was highlighted on tv and the head coach was cursing every other word?

#17 Rob A.

Rob A.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:24 PM

Was FCA the school the was highlighted on tv and the head coach was cursing every other word?

Yes,but now that Coach is at Bama

#18 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:36 PM

Yes,but now that Coach is at Bama

He knows what the hell FCA is, backhanded remark.

#19 Outside Looking In

Outside Looking In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:41 PM

He knows what the hell FCA is, backhanded remark.

Actually it is not a backhanded remark, I just wanted to make sure that was the correct school before I said how disgraceful that coach made their team and school look using that type of language. Actually I remember now when it was first on tv I made a comment about it on here and many defended the coach saying that "he speaks that way because that is what the kids that he brings in responds to." I thought that was complete BS. Good riddance.

#20 BJC

BJC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:36 AM

You guys talk about pulling kids from "good performing" schools to SFA.  I know a kid personally who was not comfortable with his academic surroundings at one of those good schools you speak of.  he felt as though he was only welcomed their because of his athletic abilities and did not feel a part of the institution and the culture there.  He felt more comfortable at SFA, and is excelling academically.  I can only speak on what I know.  SFA did end up with a few kids, I would have loved to see remain at New Town, but in the end, its the parents choice.  I question some of the recruiting tactics , But this is how today's game is (so i am told).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users