Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Will the Ravens win the opener against the Bengals?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Will the Ravens win the opener against the Bengals? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Will the Ravens win the opener against the Bengals?

1. Yes (14 votes [70.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

2. No (6 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,995 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:58 PM

Yes? No?

YOU decide!!!

:)

#2 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:01 PM

Yes, because it is the home opener. If they opened in Cinn, my heart would still say yes, but my brain would be saying "probably not".

#3 babylinux

babylinux

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:23 PM

OK, don't hold this against me, and I hope I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling...

#4 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,995 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

I'm on the fence with this one. Given that the 3 starting CBs hardly played a snap all pre-season, it's impossible to know just what to expect. The offense at least looked credible, so that's a plus. But the D was inconsistent, IMO. I have to ponder this one a little longer. I agree with Struds that home field advantage should be a plus, and one would HOPE that Harbaugh and Co. will have this team coached up, but ya never know. I think it will come down to the chemistry between Joe and Steve Smith, Sr. And I think, in the end, the Ravens will win this one in a close battle, maybe a last minute FG by Tucker.

#5 RavensGrrl

RavensGrrl

Silly Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,599 posts
  • Locationappletiniville

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:19 PM

yes! and i think this will be a crazy high scoring affair. i say ravens 48, bengals 45 in ot.  :lol:

it's all about his pickle

#6 gordon89

gordon89

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:40 PM

OK, don't hold this against me, and I hope I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling...

me too.

#7 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,995 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:26 PM

Well...as everyone here knows...I'm not a big John Harbaugh fan. But I'm even less of a Marvin Lewis (as a head coach) fan. And Joe is better than Andy. So when it comes to some of the intangibles, or less tangibles, I think the edge goes to the Ravens. Plus, the Ravens usually beat Cincy at M&T. They struggle more when they have to play in Cincy.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 03 September 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#8 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,156 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:50 AM

yes! and i think this will be a crazy high scoring affair. i say ravens 48, bengals 45 in ot.  :lol:

If the Ravens put up 48 in that game, I'm streaking the field at the next home game :D

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#9 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,156 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:51 AM

me too.

Dalton against our secondary gives me a bad feeling

Edited by bmore_ken, 03 September 2014 - 07:53 AM.

#10 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,954 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:11 AM

Dalton against our secondary gives me a bad feeling

Which Dalton would that be?  The one that has played very poorly in all but one game against us?

Our secondary will be at full strength, everyone is healthy now. 

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#11 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,995 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:17 AM

All Ravens players are practicing in prep for the opener. That's got to be good/great news.

#12 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,017 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:19 AM

Well...as everyone here knows...I'm not a big John Harbaugh fan. 

wait...since when?  :P  ;)

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#13 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,017 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:24 AM

Well...as everyone here knows...I'm not a big John Harbaugh fan. But I'm even less of a Marvin Lewis (as a head coach) fan. And I think Joe is better than Andy. So when it comes to some of the intangibles, or less tangibles, I think the edge goes to the Ravens. Plus, the Ravens usually beat Cincy at M&T. They struggle more when they have to play in Cincy.

these are the same thoughts I had, when I saw the thread question. at home, with the better QB, are 2 good cards to have in your hand. it doesn't seem like either team is heads and shoulders above the other, so it's likely to be a close game. but I think the ravens can pull out a W.   

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#14 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,995 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:03 AM

these are the same thoughts I had, when I saw the thread question. at home, with the better QB, are 2 good cards to have in your hand. it doesn't seem like either team is heads and shoulders above the other, so it's likely to be a close game. but I think the ravens can pull out a W.   

Agreed. And especially with reports coming out that every Ravens player is practicing...I think that bodes well for the home team.

(And one point of clarification to my original post: Joe IS better than Andy. NO doubt about it.)

#15 chrisbraven

chrisbraven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:50 AM

Nice topic.  I think we will win for the following reasons:

1)PREPAREDNESS.  We prepare better as a staff than a Marvin Lewis-led team.

2)NEW COORDINATORS.  They will have to adjust to having both O and D coords being new.  Mike Zimmer, former D Coord, used to give us fits.  He will not be easily replaced, especially since they are facing a different Ravens Offense.  It will not be easy to be prepared for the O; the Bengals failed twice against the Texans in the playoffs.  And that was with Zimmer.  They will be guessing with the roles of our players under Kubiak. Conversely, we are familiar with the tendencies of ex-Raven staffer Hugh Jackson.

3)HOME COOKIN'.  The Bengals will not be able to overcome the rowdy, hungry-for-football M&T crowd.

4)GRUDGE.  Our last game was a pretty humiliating defeat to the Bengals, one where we got two early turnover that really should have put us out in front by two touchdowns and set a very hard tone for them.  I'm sure we feel like we should have won and gone to the playoffs.  Not only will we not forget that, but we will not forget the flippant attitude of some of the Bengals in victory.

With the Bengals playing great and us struggling, we were up 17-0 in the reg. season home game last year.  DOMINATING them, with our anemic O.  We let 'em back in the game (remember the wild hail mary to Green) and won anyway.  

It just seems like we are more prepared and better out of the gate than these Bengals teams.  I can't wait to derail them AGAIN on Sunday, this time on both sides of the ball, AND with a big play from the (special) Teams.

#RavensReloaded

BRAVEN

#16 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:23 AM

If the Ravens put up 48 in that game, I'm streaking the field at the next home game :D

That's it, I'm not taking the tickets I was offered to that game! :P

#17 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,032 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

Please don't...

Pessimism is just an ugly word for 'pattern recognition'.

#18 demopublican

demopublican

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,255 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:07 AM

They will be 6-1 after 7

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#19 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,942 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:28 AM

Win on a field goal in a close game!

Baltimore Sports fan since 1965!:cool:

Confusing the delusional with fact since 2005!

#20 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,156 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

That's it, I'm not taking the tickets I was offered to that game! :P

Please don't...

I'm feeling the love  ^_^  :lol: