Photo
- - - - -

Great Article About Gilman's Cyrus Jones!

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,074 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:42 AM

http://m.bleacherrep...?is_shared=true

Has been a pleasure watching CJ show out and grow this year. Kid will only get better because he's an ELITE ATHLETE and works hard. Also has that dog in him and wants to be the best. I stand by the claim I made earlier this summer, he will end up a First or Second Round draft choice.

#2 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts
  • LocationIn Your Worst Nightmares

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:26 AM

As the hunter and bear story revealed, you are just not in here for the hunt anymore.

This section about high school football.  Post this in the college section.  You have plenty of "special" and "real deal" G high schoolers to pimp.

#3 DBcoach_02

DBcoach_02

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:11 AM

I coach with his uncle Fred. Great family and hes a great kid. Hope nothing but the best for that young man.

#4 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,074 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:55 AM

I coach with his uncle Fred. Great family and hes a great kid. Hope nothing but the best for that young man.

Definitely. And here's another one coming up, Khari. Word is, he's the real deal. Won't mind seeing him in a couple of years on the Gilman sideline.

#5 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:09 AM

Surprised DW didn't bash Jones like he's done every possible time in the past.

#6 scoutbmore

scoutbmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:30 AM

Good for him! BMORE in the spotlight!

#7 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,074 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:31 AM

I don't read his posts, so I just assumed he did. Sure he will come up with something to cry about with Jones. Or incessantly talk about him being taken out of a game in pee wee football.

#8 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:01 AM

One man's bash is another's just keeping things in perspective.  What you called bashing was merely challenging how you G homies could so firmly pronounce Cyrus Jones a 1st or 2nd round NFL draft choice before this season when the player simply didn't perform well enough to even start on his college team for many games in favor of a freshman!!  Cyrus was benched for many games and only got back on the field when the freshman got into some off the field trouble AND another corner was injured.  But you G homies were in here ranting about how great Cyrus was doing.  That was NOT bashing but calling out you G pimps for over sensationalizing as you do around here with your own that then tend to become facts.

The reference article here clearly indicate Cryrus has made great imporvement.  He had a lot of improving to do because many in Bama didn't want to see him on the field last year and even didn't want him back at Bama this year.  Now if your guy has made a great turn around then great.  But the jury is not even out or began to deilberate about his NFL draft prospects.

Lets keep things in perspective including your sense that I bashed the player as opposed to merely checking you and your ilk as I often must do.

Edited by DayWalker, 10 October 2014 - 09:37 AM.

#9 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:03 AM

I don't read his posts, so I just assumed he did. Sure he will come up with something to cry about with Jones. Or incessantly talk about him being taken out of a game in pee wee football.

Liar liar, you were ALL into the debate about your proclamation of Cyrus being a 1st and 2nd round NFL pick based upon his performance before this season.  Liar liar!!!

#10 scoutbmore

scoutbmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:47 AM

LOL, DayWalker, I guess u told them! lol

#11 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:31 AM

He had a lot of improving to do because many in Bama didn't want to see him on the field last year and even didn't want him back at Bama this year.  

The above is total horse****.  Jones got significant playing time as a freshman for the national champs and played well in his first season at CB last year.  I'd love to know what you consider "many in Bama" - internet trolls like yourself perhaps?  I'll defer to Nick Saban's eye for talent over the average Bama fan.  You're so biased against Gilman that it's laughable.  

#12 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:31 PM

He had a lot of improving to do because many in Bama didn't want to see him on the field last year and even didn't want him back at Bama this year.  

The above is total horse****.  Jones got significant playing time as a freshman for the national champs and played well in his first season at CB last year.  I'd love to know what you consider "many in Bama" - internet trolls like yourself perhaps?  I'll defer to Nick Saban's eye for talent over the average Bama fan.  You're so biased against Gilman that it's laughable.  

G-Spot,

Nick Saban's eye....Nick Saban's eye.....  need I remind you that NICK SABAN recruited Cyrus as I understand it to be a wideout, not a corner.  It was Cyrus who volunteered to switch to corner ( I'm guessing cause he saw that as the best way to get on the field rather than see it. -- just a guess).  But Cyrus learned that just being a good athlete at his level, especially in the SEC, just wasn't enough to carry him like it did in youth and MIAA ball.  He had a heck of a lot to learn to properly play the position in Bama's field and boundary corner scheme .  And while Cyrus and the rest of the Bama DB corps were being taken to school, Cyrus was getting more than his share of being taken.  All that while, you and GA were in here ranting about how great he was playing and he would be a sure 1st and 2nd round NFL pick.  That's when I stepped in to calm your horse doo doo.

Bama's D, especially it's DB corps, has been the worse the two seasons before the current year than Bama has had in a very long time.

I would love if Cyrus were another Joe Haden or fellow Bama Dee Milliner but he was not last year.  You and GA are so rose-colored Gilman that's even more laughable.  Cyrus and Darrius Jennings can fart and GA will run in here to report how great it was.  And you g-Spot will back his lame comments up.

Cyrus Jones was a sophomore last season firmly training while under fire.  He was NOT a standout corner worthy of being called a 1st or 2nd round NFL pick; not as a learning sophomre and certainly not in his on-the-job training status of last season.  That's what I'm trying to get you tounderstand or tell you that you can't bullshyte me.  A #1 or #2 NFL is ready to cover the best receivers in the world and Cyrus just ain't at that level; not yet.  And he wasn't last season when he was benched over a freshamn.  Benched corners who are replaced by freshamn tend NOT to be 1st and 2nd round NFL picks.  What, is he now a junior!!!  Work this season like he is doing.  Work harder and better and really produce next year...and he may get a camp invite...  :D

#13 DBcoach_02

DBcoach_02

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:05 PM

Day, your posts are always outrageously long lol. Anyway, im not sure of your background as far as playing this sport at any level, but usually it is in fact THE COACH who tells the player that he is switching positions. Not the player who decides what position he will play. Cyrus was probably brought in as an athlete who got to see the field early as a wr then as the teams needs changed the staff thought he'd be better suited to help the team as a corner.

Im not saying this is how this particular case played out, but usually thats how it goes. You may be right my friend, just from experience....the coach rules his program :)

Edited by DBcoach_02, 10 October 2014 - 01:06 PM.

#14 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,074 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:27 PM

Day, your posts are always outrageously long lol. Anyway, im not sure of your background as far as playing this sport at any level, but usually it is in fact THE COACH who tells the player that he is switching positions. Not the player who decides what position he will play. Cyrus was probably brought in as an athlete who got to see the field early as a wr then as the teams needs changed the staff thought he'd be better suited to help the team as a corner.
Im not saying this is how this particular case played out, but usually thats how it goes. You may be right my friend, just from experience....the coach rules his program :)

Cyrus was one of only I believe four true freshman who actually saw the field for the NATIONAL CHAMPION BAMA CRIMSON TIDE! He played a lot both seasons. He switched positions because they needed him to switch. There was an article that said he asked to be switched and the coach agreed. Who knows how it actually went down. Of course he took lumps his first year after a position change, who wouldn't? But anybody that knows talent, could see that he was going to be special. There have been many articles on Saban being especially tough on CJ and they said because the coach knew that the kid had special talent. He has excelled this season, has shut down some of the best WR's around, culminating in a great game last weekend against Ole Miss.

Like I said, the kid will be a first or second round pick and this comes from knowing talent and special players. Also stand by my claim that he is a better player than Ronald Darby(who's been getting torched this year) because he's a kid who can not only cover but also tackle(something Darby lacks in doing big time).

#15 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

G-Spot,

Nick Saban's eye....Nick Saban's eye.....  need I remind you that NICK SABAN recruited Cyrus as I understand it to be a wideout, not a corner.  It was Cyrus who volunteered to switch to corner ( I'm guessing cause he saw that as the best way to get on the field rather than see it. -- just a guess).  But Cyrus learned that just being a good athlete at his level, especially in the SEC, just wasn't enough to carry him like it did in youth and MIAA ball.  He had a heck of a lot to learn to properly play the position in Bama's field and boundary corner scheme .  And while Cyrus and the rest of the Bama DB corps were being taken to school, Cyrus was getting more than his share of being taken.  All that while, you and GA were in here ranting about how great he was playing and he would be a sure 1st and 2nd round NFL pick.  That's when I stepped in to calm your horse doo doo.

Bama's D, especially it's DB corps, has been the worse the two seasons before the current year than Bama has had in a very long time.

I would love if Cyrus were another Joe Haden or fellow Bama Dee Milliner but he was not last year.  You and GA are so rose-colored Gilman that's even more laughable.  Cyrus and Darrius Jennings can fart and GA will run in here to report how great it was.  And you g-Spot will back his lame comments up.

Cyrus Jones was a sophomore last season firmly training while under fire.  He was NOT a standout corner worthy of being called a 1st or 2nd round NFL pick; not as a learning sophomre and certainly not in his on-the-job training status of last season.  That's what I'm trying to get you tounderstand or tell you that you can't bullshyte me.  A #1 or #2 NFL is ready to cover the best receivers in the world and Cyrus just ain't at that level; not yet.  And he wasn't last season when he was benched over a freshamn.  Benched corners who are replaced by freshamn tend NOT to be 1st and 2nd round NFL picks.  What, is he now a junior!!!  Work this season like he is doing.  Work harder and better and really produce next year...and he may get a camp invite...  :D

1)  Cyrus was recruited as an athlete, and given the chance to play WR.  But Saban wanted him to play CB, which is what happened.

2)  My prediction re: Cyrus being a potential 1st or 2nd round pick was based on a projection - not necessarily how he was playing at the time.   The fact that he got significant minutes as a Freshman for the Tide and made a lot of big plays last year in his first year at CB against SEC talent (understanding he took his lumps as well) was a big part of that projection, but so was his combination of top flight athleticism and his competitiveness.  Put it all together and I stand by my prediction. 

3)  LOL at getting a camp invite.  GTFO with that garbage.

#16 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:57 PM

If that's the case DBc, and I agreed with you that the coach has the final say of who plays where, tell that to GA and crew who are alway spouting off about how Kai Locksley is going to insist he play QB at FSU.  At any rate, your generalization of how positions are done is fairly accurate.  But it's not the letter of the law.  Cyrus was recruited and marked for receiver when he arrived at Bama.  And I'm telling you, he asked to be tried out at DB, Nick's personal favored position to coach.  And Cyrus had a lot to learn as even any player would, especially one not a natural corner but just a gifted athlete who has relied 100% on athleticism.

I need not provide you my football resume but rest assured that I just didn't fall off the turnip truck.  At any rate, the issue is pronouncing Cyrus a sure 1st or 2nd round NFL pick after his sophomore season when it was CLEARLY learning under fire with a young DB corps and get this, Cyrus just may be senior in the young group.  And the kid played a lot looking out of his helmet ear hole.  g-Spot and GA talk this crazy NFL crap all the time.  They even say at this stage that Kai Locksley is a no miss NFL receiver and that kid barely played receiver so far this season and other seasons.  Yet they and others say he WILL be an NFL receiver, no doubt.  That's the nonsense I raise up about.  And I Cannot Stand Nonsense!!!  These were the same yoyos who also called Troy Vincent Jr. such a great DB when I saw him as just a dime a dozen defensiveback who could easily be toast when confrontated by a skilled WR and prolific QB.  And they want to tout Ellison Jordan as The Very Best D-Lineman EVER from the state of MD.  What's common between all the players????  Nonsense, I just cannot stand nonsense.

Now then, was that long enough for you ( total typing time 2-minute, 32 seconds ).  Now give me 5-minutes to really collect my thoughts.

#17 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:01 PM

I never said Kai would be a can't miss NFL player or that he will be an NFL WR, no doubt.  I said he has NFL caliber talent at that position and that he's wasting it playing QB.  Nor did I ever say Ellison Jordan is the best DL ever from the state of MD.  That would be Darnell Dockett IMO (just based on play in HS).  But you've never been one to let facts get in your way.

#18 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,074 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:13 PM

I never said Kai would be a can't miss NFL player or that he will be an NFL WR, no doubt.  I said he has NFL caliber talent at that position and that he's wasting it playing QB.  Nor did I ever say Ellison Jordan is the best DL ever from the state of MD.  That would be Darnell Dockett IMO (just based on play in HS).  But you've never been one to let facts get in your way.

Please don't tell me that he is saying that somebody said that Kai is a surefire NFL WR? Hahahaha. I guess he's back to making up stories again. Like seeing DeMatha lose a game to a team they never even played!

#19 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:35 PM

1)  Cyrus was recruited as an athlete, and given the chance to play WR.  But Saban wanted him to play CB, which is what happened.

2)  My prediction re: Cyrus being a potential 1st or 2nd round pick was based on a projection - not necessarily how he was playing at the time.   The fact that he got significant minutes as a Freshman for the Tide and made a lot of big plays last year in his first year at CB against SEC talent (understanding he took his lumps as well) was a big part of that projection, but so was his combination of top flight athleticism and his competitiveness.  Put it all together and I stand by my prediction. 

3)  LOL at getting a camp invite.  GTFO with that garbage.

There is NO position on any football field called athlete.  That's high school or a high school all-star game position.  Cyrus played specific positions and he is currently playing cornerback.  But last season, the YOUNG Bama DB corps was The Weak Link of the Bama team.

And yes camp invite like I said If Cyrus Is Lucky or they do so just because he is a Bama product much like players get just by being Gilman.  No special skills; just because...   :D 

#20 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:54 PM

Of course he took lumps his first year after a position change, who wouldn't? But anybody that knows talent, could see that he was going to be special. There have been many articles on Saban being especially tough on CJ and they said because the coach knew that the kid had special talent. He has excelled this season, has shut down some of the best WR's around, culminating in a great game last weekend against Ole Miss.

Like I said, the kid will be a first or second round pick and this comes from knowing talent and special players. Also stand by my claim that he is a better player than Ronald Darby(who's been getting torched this year) because he's a kid who can not only cover but also tackle(something Darby lacks in doing big time).

Cyrus relied on his high school athleticism and Saban was hard on Cyrus because he wouldn't/couldn't play within the Bama scheme.  Cyrus was caught out of position a lot in his initial learning stage because Bama plays a zone - man scheme meaning one plays man-to-man within their assigned zone.  When a receivers left Cyrus' zone, he often chased the players into the zone of others leaving his zone open.  He lacked trust in others in them doing their job as he had to do his job.  And Cyrus was not doing HIS job when he left his zone playing the position of others; being an athlete and not a disciplined cornerback within Saban's scheme.  That's why Saban was so hard on Cyrus and sat his @zz down to watch the freshamn who got it.  It had very little to do with trying to squeeze the last bit of juice out of a stellar Cyrus but rather trying to get him to play as Bama wanted him to do.

But the kid just now may be getting it.  Splinters from the bench and passes getting caught on Cyrus or glancing back to see players dashing through his zone with the ball along with Saban up his butt just may have been the trick to get the juice out of Cyrus expected and what he came so highly touted to be able to do for the unforgiving Bama Bear Byrant folks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users