Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GREYHOUND ALUM

Great Article About Gilman's Cyrus Jones!

123 posts in this topic

...about non-G crap, yes you just may disagree with your alter ego but I don't know about regularly.  But all things G, you two are like a pair of gonads.  In fact, you two are nothing more than a pair of G-gonads.  So I call your bs and GTFOH and raise you two gonads G-Spot.

Kevin Johnson will be drafted higher than Cyrus Jones (albeit in different drafts). At 6'1" Johnson has the length that NFL teams covet to go along with speed and athleticism. He flies under the radar GA had the science dept. @ Gilman tweak to exclude players who didn't go to Gilman but not the radars they use in the NFL that find players like Pierre Garcon who also didn't go to Gilman.

Kevin Johnson will be drafted higher than Cyrus Jones (albeit in different drafts). At 6'1" Johnson has the length that NFL teams covet to go along with speed and athleticism. He flies under the radar GA had the science dept. @ Gilman tweak to exclude players who didn't go to Gilman but not the radars they use in the NFL that find players like Pierre Garcon who also didn't go to Gilman.

Kevin Johnson is a very good player but he's not going to get drafted higher than Cyrus! You know anything of what you're talking about? Cyrus is a better athlete, faster and will destroy the combine. Cyrus will be a first or second round pick when he gets drafted,'Johnson will not!

Kevin Johnson is a very good player but he's not going to get drafted higher than Cyrus! You know anything of what you're talking about? Cyrus is a better athlete, faster and will destroy the combine. Cyrus will be a first or second round pick when he gets drafted,'Johnson will not!

you really think cyrus has shown enough to indicate he will be a first or second rd pick?....he has looked better than last yr no doubt...and has a yr left..but i would let this play out a bit first..i think he will get an nfl shot though...destroying the combine at his position would mean what?.....4.3 40....40 inch vert.....20 reps...killing in position  drills...he could...i guess we will see when the time comes..

I think Oily Can is on to something with Kevin Johnson because I see his NFL prospect rated at #2 among 200-plus DBs for 2015 and Cyrus is about 40 among 200-plus 2016 DBs.  But what stands out is that Kevin is NOT flying under the NFL radar.  He appears to be well known.

you really think cyrus has shown enough to indicate he will be a first or second rd pick?....he has looked better than last yr no doubt...and has a yr left..but i would let this play out a bit first..i think he will get an nfl shot though...destroying the combine at his position would mean what?.....4.3 40....40 inch vert.....20 reps...killing in position  drills...he could...i guess we will see when the time comes..

I definitely think Cyrus has been killing it this year. I've seen every Alabama game and what came into the season as a weakness(their defense), has actually been the strong point of the team and he's easily been their best DB. He locked down Treadwill from Ole Miss and he's considered one of the top NFL WR prospects in the whole country. He's fast, physical and a sure tackler. He's been better this year than the more highly regarded Landon Collins has been at safety for Bama. And Collins will without a doubt go in the first two rounds, he's an athletic freak. Cyrus has one more year as well.

Yes, he will be in the low 4.4, high 4.3 range and probably around 38-40 inch vertical. Very strong, should do very well on the bench.

...should do very well on the bench.

I thought the bench was the best thing for Cyrus when he was placed there the year before in favor of the freshman.  So yes, he did well on the bench.  Cyrus had to learn to play and play the way Saban wanted him to play and not how Biff allowed him to play just relying on pure athleticism.

But think Day Three or even an invite if lucky.  That is, unless the 'Bama name is enough to get anyone an invite.

Cyrus has been more physical this season and the time he spent watching from the pine helped him figure out what he had to do to stay on the field for Saban. He hardly ever leaves the field now, except for O. He could have gone anywhere and he went to Bama to play against the best. A 3 year starting corner from Bama goes Day 3 at the latest.

Cyrus has been more physical this season and the time he spent watching from the pine helped him figure out what he had to do to stay on the field for Saban. He hardly ever leaves the field now, except for O. He could have gone anywhere and he went to Bama to play against the best. A 3 year starting corner from Bama goes Day 3 at the latest.

No doubt. I believe he also recorded a catch in a game this year. That Bama defense is looking really really good. Even the game hget did lose against Ole Miss, it wasn't because if the defense. Offense let them down that game.

Great best defensive player for 'Bama.  Doing the do in catching offensive passes.  Before this year is up, you may have Cyrus an assistant coach....

I think Oily Can is on to something with Kevin Johnson because I see his NFL prospect rated at #2 among 200-plus DBs for 2015 and Cyrus is about 40 among 200-plus 2016 DBs. But what stands out is that Kevin is NOT flying under the NFL radar. He appears to be well known.

When you go to Gilman they implant a microchip in your brain. Its covered in the tuition. GA's class was the first to get the chip. Back then it was the size of a golf ball. I think his Duracell is leaking acid. Anyway, his radar only picks up pings from the G-chip. That's why KJ is not on his radar. It doesn't matter how much you work out you cant make 5'9" = 6'1". No secret why Richard Sherman is paid what he is paid.

When you go to Gilman they implant a microchip in your brain. Its covered in the tuition. GA's class was the first to get the chip. Back then it was the size of a golf ball. I think his Duracell is leaking acid. Anyway, his radar only picks up pings from the G-chip. That's why KJ is not on his radar. It doesn't matter how much you work out you cant make 5'9" = 6'1". No secret why Richard Sherman is paid what he is paid.

Cyrus is 5'10. Johnson has been on my radar since River Hill. I've followed him very closely at Wake because of following Camp's career and the two Gilman guys, Joey Ehrmann and Hunter Goodwin. Like I said, very good player but not close to the athlete that Cyrus is. Also not as physical. He does have great size and great coverage skills.

Richard Sherman is 6'3 and very physical. Kevin Johnson is also much lighter, he needs to gain weight for the NFL. But I don't doubt we will see him on Sundays.

Cyrus is 5'10. Johnson has been on my radar since River Hill. I've followed him very closely at Wake because of following Camp's career and the two Gilman guys, Joey Ehrmann and Hunter Goodwin. Like I said, very good player but not close to the athlete that Cyrus is. Also not as physical. He does have great size and great coverage skills.

Richard Sherman is 6'3 and very physical. Kevin Johnson is also much lighter, he needs to gain weight for the NFL. But I don't doubt we will see him on Sundays.

Its easier to make 6'1" = 190lbs than it is to make 5'9" = 6'1". Long arms and long legs is referred to as length in the NBA. I hear that term used to describe CB's in the NFL now. The longer the better when it comes to defending passes in the NFL.

Its easier to make 6'1" = 190lbs than it is to make 5'9" = 6'1". Long arms and long legs is referred to as length in the NBA. I hear that term used to describe CB's in the NFL now. The longer the better when it comes to defending passes in the NFL.

Jones isn't 5'9, he's 5'10 and there's many great 5'10 NFL corners.

#16 Oily....  I love it!!!!!   :D   How 'bout you lili pup? 

You beat me to it. Saved me the trouble of searching for it. Thanks.

Kyle Fuller @ #14 last year signed for 10M over 4 yrs. w a 5M signing bonus. I have to think KJ's deal will be similar. Not a bad payday for a kid who was 4'9" and 90 lbs his freshman yr. in HS. It just goes to show that you never know unless, of course, you are the GA!

Edited by Oil Can

Too funny!! Great story of a "late bloomer" who played in a solid HS program and worked hard in college and kept getting better and better. Big props to River Hill HS. Wasn't too long ago when the entire state of Maryland would have 1 or 2 guys get drafted each year, now we have schools that can claim multiple NFL players among their alumni. Tell me that's not a great recruiting tool. 

Too funny!! Great story of a "late bloomer" who played in a solid HS program and worked hard in college and kept getting better and better. Big props to River Hill HS. Wasn't too long ago when the entire state of Maryland would have 1 or 2 guys get drafted each year, now we have schools that can claim multiple NFL players among their alumni. Tell me that's not a great recruiting tool. 

Pretty impressive. Two guys from the same High School team going to an excellent academic University (defintely not a football factory) and making the NFL. Might have had that HS team a tad bit underrated. Not sure of any other local team having two guys on the same team in the NFL.

Pretty impressive. Two guys from the same High School team going to an excellent academic University (defintely not a football factory) and making the NFL. Might have had that HS team a tad bit underrated. Not sure of any other local team having two guys on the same team in the NFL.

Underrated? If you call being ranked in the Top 25 in the country as underrated, then I guess they were!

Also, Dunbar has two guys from the same team in the NFL, Tavon Austin and Horace Miller.

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM

Also, once Stefon Diggs is drafted, Good Counsel will also have two guys who were on the same team in the NFL with Diggs and Jelani Jenkins.

If ole DayWalker's memory serves me well, I recall little 2A Gwynn Park circa 2011 had a couple go NFL in the same year, Rashad Carmichael and Phil Taylor.  Gwynn Park in 2005 went 14 - 0 in winning a state title with these players.  Carmichael went to VTech and was drafted by Houston.  Taylor did two years at Penn State and then went to Baylor before he was drafted by Cleveland.  I recall Taylor very very well because he was trained by Joe Haden SR and played against his son, The Joe Haden JR of the Cleveland Browns and 1st round pick.  Gwynn Park also has a third player on that championship team Adrian Morten who stayed home and played for Maryland and he too was a NFL prospect that same draft year as the others but I don't recall whatever came of him.

Just FYI.....     Oh, and GA --- did you hear former Buffalo Bills QB Jim Kelly's pick announcement for the 2nd-round for Ronald Darby!!!!  :P

Big Arie from DeMatha was just drafted, joining his brother and former DeMatha teammate Cyrus in the NFL. The phenomena of teammates from Maryland in the NFL continues.

Angelo Blackson played redlion(de) but product of the ECA program was drafted 100th overall in the 4th. ECA truelly claims him