#1 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,180 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:03 PM

heads up ......

started my annual quest to find a good deal on Turbo Tax Deluxe with State and read about a few issues pissing a lot of folks off and causing me to look for alternatives ......

Intuit apparently made a few tweaks to the deluxe software that force you up to the premium package .......

among other things you can no longer file a schedule D for stock sales with the deluxe package .......

big backlash taking place and some competitors offering free software and intuit offering free upgrades if you call and complain .....

http://www.forbes.co...ock-substitute/

What’s riling Olsen and other long-time users is this: the boxed software/download version of TurboTax Deluxe + State for 2014 lists for the same $69.99 as did the 2013 version (you can currently buy the 2014 version for $59.99 on the TurboTax site and $49.97 on Amazon). But you can no longer use Deluxe to electronically file a Schedule D , for capital gains and losses; Schedule C, for profit and loss from a sole proprietorship business; Schedule E, for rental real estate, royalties and distributions from partnerships; orSchedule F, for farm income. While you can report dividends and mutual fund capital gain distributions through Deluxe, investors who sold any stock or assets need to trade up to TurboTax Premier (list $99.99, selling for $89.99 through TurboTax’s site and $79.97 on Amazon) to E-file. For a sole proprietorship with more than $100 of deductions in certain categories, even Premier won’t do. To E-file, you’ll need TurboTax Home & Business (lists at $109.99, selling for $99.99 on TurboTax and $89.97 on Amazon).

Dissatisfied customers do have options, however.  One is to call Intuit (at 800-445-1875, from 8 AM to 8 PM EST) and demand satisfaction. Meighan assured Forbes yesterday that every agent at that number “has discretion to do what’s necessary” to keep a customer— meaning, he said, they will give customers a free upgrade if they demand it, or a discounted one if that’s enough to keep them. (So, if you call,  threaten to jump ship and don’t settle for less than an upgrade.)

Edited by Eastside Terp, 18 January 2015 - 10:04 PM.

They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#2 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,728 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:32 PM

But you can no longer use Deluxe to electronically file ......Schedule C, for profit and loss from a sole proprietorship business

Deluxe didn't do Schedule C.  You needed Premier Home & Business to do that.  Well, at least for the last 13 years that I've been filing one for my wife, you have needed Home & Business.  I don't know about all of those others. 

Edited by Thirteen, 19 January 2015 - 09:32 PM.

#3 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,983 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:06 AM

Or you can purchase the box from a retailer, CAREFULLY open it, install the software, then put it back and return to the store... saying you found it for less on-line. 

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#4 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,623 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:18 AM

Or you can purchase the box from a retailer, CAREFULLY open it, install the software, then put it back and return to the store... saying you found it for less on-line. 

That's not honest.

Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#5 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,983 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:28 AM

That's not honest.

That's true.  Unless of course you DO find it for less online.  Then there's some gray area...

Edited by Ravens2006, 20 January 2015 - 10:28 AM.

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#6 Norman

Norman

Go away you little gnat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,084 posts
  • LocationCoke Butler

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:54 PM

My accountant got the H&R Block software this year after reading about the price/complaints for TT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users