Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Circe

Apple Dominates Microsoft

58 posts in this topic

In 1999 Microsoft stock set a record high, and its market capitalization was nearly $620 billion. At the same time, Apple was teetering on bankruptcy. When interviewed in 1998 for Vanity Fair, Microsoft’s co-founder Bill Gates said he “couldn’t imagine a situation in which Apple would ever be bigger and more profitable than Microsoft.”

Jump to late January 2015, when both Microsoft and Apple unveiled their latest quarterly earnings. The once unthinkable became reality: Apple’s market capitalization hit $683 billion, more than double Microsoft’s current value of $338 billion.

Apple now sells more than 34,000 iPhone 6s every hour, 24 hours a day. Currently, Apple is as dependent on the success of one product line — the iPhone accounted for 69 percent of its revenue — as Microsoft once was with Windows.

Read more at 

How, and Why, Apple Overtook Microsoft, NY Times Business Day, 01/29/2015.

I still don't get the constant MS to Apple comparison.  Apple isn't remotely the same company as it was in 1999 other than still selling some Macs.

To me my Phone is still primarily a Phone. I might text a little and the only time I use Email on it is to send Pics to my Home or Work PC. All my "Heavy Lifting" to use a phrase I do on my laptop or PC. They're different animals with different uses to me. Hell I only have a couple Apps on the phone and it's out of space since Kit Kat won't let 3rd party apps use the SD card anymore. I had more on my old phone running ICS and wish I never upgraded. This newer phone Can't do much more than just be a phone anymore thanks to Google. And people complain about Apple and their philosophy with these small devices, watch out!

I still don't get the constant MS to Apple comparison.  Apple isn't remotely the same company as it was in 1999 other than still selling some Macs.

Yeah I never got that either. Microsoft doesn't manufacture phones. They don't manufacture computers. It's truly ludicrous to compare  the two companies

Edited by bmore_ken

Apple is probably not as in good a position as it thinks. Being so dependent on one device isn't a great thing - it's not even remotely comparable to what Microsoft and Windows are - which is far more PC based. Microsoft is still the dominant force in PC OS's, and will be for the forseable future, but Apple is not only not the dominant force in phones, it's losing ground rapidly to Android.

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

This doesn't account for the bump of the iPhone6 as the data wasn't in yet, but it's still a rather alarming graph for Apple fans.

Android, and particuarly, Samsung are dominating the worldwide market. Outside of the U.S., nobody cares much about, or for Apple and it's proprietary OS's.

I have two dead macs and an ipad stacked in my closet courtesy of my wife's unshakable belief in the quality of Apple.   Those things aren't cheap.   The "genius bars" are a joke and good luck getting them to stand behind their work.  I agree with Alienrace on the risk of an over-dependence on cellphone revenue.  I'll stick to my battered old Dell.

MS stock took a nice drop. Nice buying opportunity if you ask me.

MS stock took a nice drop. Nice buying opportunity if you ask me.

I actually may check that out

True, Apple invents; MS copies.

I once heard MS described as a marketing company that sells software.

MS hasn't copied an iphone. MS hasn't copied an Ipad. MS hasn't copied a Mac(in fact Apple switched to Intel processors). The computer operating  systems are completely different. What are you talking about? I see you're an Apple suck...fan boy

MS hasn't copied an iphone. MS hasn't copied an Ipad. MS hasn't copied a Mac(in fact Apple switched to Intel processors). The computer operating  systems are completely different. What are you talking about? I see you're an Apple suck...fan boy

MS DOS (originally 86 DOS Seattle Computer Products), Windows (based on Apple's GUI), IE, the list goes on and on.....

http://www.zdnet.com/article/30-years-before-samsung-when-apple-sued-microsoft/

However, over several years, Microsoft refined the interface — in other words, making it more like the Macintosh. In 1988, Microsoft released Windows 2.0, which incorporated more Mac features, and this triggered a copyright suit over interface elements. Microsoft countersued saying that Apple had given permission to make derivative works from the Mac OS and Mac programs.

Edited by boink

MS DOS (originally 86 DOS Seattle Computer Products), Windows (based on Apple's GUI), IE, the list goes on and on.....

http://www.zdnet.com/article/30-years-before-samsung-when-apple-sued-microsoft/

However, over several years, Microsoft refined the interface — in other words, making it more like the Macintosh. In 1988, Microsoft released Windows 2.0, which incorporated more Mac features, and this triggered a copyright suit over interface elements. Microsoft countersued saying that Apple had given permission to make derivative works from the Mac OS and Mac programs.

It's 2015. not 1988. Join us in the 21st century

Edited by bmore_ken

Apple has always been innovative - but handcuffed by their ultra proprietary philosophy.

I once heard MS described as a marketing company that sells software.

I would call Apple a marketing company that sells hardware.

Apple didn't invent the GUI (Xerox).  They didn't invent OSX (it was built from NextStep and UNIX).  They didn't invent the mp3 player.  They didn't invent the smartphone.  They didn't invent the tablet.  They did refine and improve on all of those things and also had a marketing genius.

I used Apple computers exclusively when I worked for the newspaper. I also had a PC at home. Back then I would have given a slight edge to Apple, but when you compare the price I decided the PC was the better value. Nowadays I'm strictly PC and have been buying from Lenovo recently - my most current one is the Yoga 2 Pro which I love with Windows 10 currently on it.

IMO Apple is a decent product, but way more expensive when you buy it and if you want to buy anything for it, like proprietary adapters (With PCs you can get universal adapters on EBay for a fraction of the costs).

Edited by NCBirdfan

Yeah, back in the day Apple had a good run for computers - and in the 80's, no question, their computers were better for those doing image and sound editing. Their marketing was all about ease of use, plug and play, etc. They got a generation hooked on Mac's by getting them in universities, etc.

But you're right, eventually PC's caught up, and then passed them by in terms of performance, versatility and they were considerably cheaper. Windows and the Intel/AMD platform has long since been plug and play, making the ease of use argument pretty silly. For the price of an Apple PC, you could get a much more powerful system like Falcon Northwest, Digital Storm, or Alienware that would run circles around it. Or, save you money, buy the parts and build something even *more* powerful at a fraction of the cost.

I do enjoy my Macbook Pro that I bought a few years ago, but I did pay an arm and a leg for it.

I do enjoy my Macbook Pro that I bought a few years ago, but I did pay an arm and a leg for it.

I bought one for my neice 2 years ago as a graduation present. It killed me to spend that much money on a computer, but it's what she really wanted and she graduated 2nd in her class

I bought one for my neice 2 years ago as a graduation present. It killed me to spend that much money on a computer, but it's what she really wanted and she graduated 2nd in her class

There's nothing wrong with that. I bought one for my niece for graduating too because she hinted for one. I've overspent on other things that I wanted too. For me, the PC works great and is much more cost effective, but, like I said before, Apples are decent products and sometimes we buy what we are familiar with and used to. You can't put a price on that.

Microsoft Excel, essentially an updated version of VisiCalc.......

I can't think of a single Microsoft product that another company or organization didn't create first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer

VisiCalc was the first spreadsheet computer program, originally released for the Apple II. It is often considered the application that turned the microcomputer from a hobby for computer enthusiasts into a serious business tool, and is considered the Apple II's killer app. VisiCalc sold over 700,000 copies in six years, and as many as 1 million copies over its history.

It's 2015. not 1988. Join us in the 21st century

You're not using Windows and Excel in 2015?

Edited by boink

Microsoft Excel, essentially an updated version of VisiCalc.......

I can't think of a single Microsoft product that another company or organization didn't create first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer

VisiCalc was the first spreadsheet computer program, originally released for the Apple II. It is often considered the application that turned the microcomputer from a hobby for computer enthusiasts into a serious business tool, and is considered the Apple II's killer app. VisiCalc sold over 700,000 copies in six years, and as many as 1 million copies over its history.

You really don't know how the software industry works do you?  And you obviously had no rebuttal to the facts I pointed out about Apple not inventing any of their flagship products?

Look at any of the major software companies and they all work the same way.  Acquire/license new ideas, apply resources, improve and market.  Google didn't invent search.  Google didn't invent web-based advertising.  Google didn't invent web-based email, etc.

It's popular on the interwebs to crap on Microsoft for operating just like every other technology company.

You're not using Windows and Excel in 2015?

Apple is a hardware company in 2015, not a software company. End of comparison. Every product starts somewhere and the product is often improved and refined, often by other companies. It's the American way, get over it. Most of Apple's products made today weren't invented by Apple as Ivan already pointed out, so they've done plenty of copying themselves by your logic

Edited by bmore_ken

Apple now closing in on Samsung.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/09/apple-grabs-93-of-the-handset-industrys-profit-report-says/?_r=0

Apple Grabs 93% of the Handset Industry’s Profit, Report Says

By BRIAN X. CHEN date published FEBRUARY 9, 2015 3:44 PM

Apple’s record-breaking holiday quarter, which brought in $18 billion in earnings, allowed the company to capture 93 percent of the profit in the handset industry, according to a new report from Canaccord Genuity, an investment firm.

Samsung took the rest, but its share is shrinking, the report said…

…The upshot of the report is that Samsung is losing ground in its fight with Apple for smartphone dominance. Samsung still sells more cellphones than any other company. But its profit is eroding because Apple is eating into its sales of high-end smartphones, a trend that is likely to continue after the enormous success of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. Both iPhones, which include bigger screens, gave Apple a huge boost in China, an important market for Samsung.