Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Circe

Apple Dominates Microsoft

58 posts in this topic

Apple is probably not as in good a position as it thinks. Being so dependent on one device isn't a great thing - it's not even remotely comparable to what Microsoft and Windows are - which is far more PC based. Microsoft is still the dominant force in PC OS's, and will be for the forseable future, but Apple is not only not the dominant force in phones, it's losing ground rapidly to Android.

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

This doesn't account for the bump of the iPhone6 as the data wasn't in yet, but it's still a rather alarming graph for Apple fans.

Android, and particuarly, Samsung are dominating the worldwide market. Outside of the U.S., nobody cares much about, or for Apple and it's proprietary OS's.

The flip side is that they've chosen their markets well, and have spent their R & D money on making a few products very well rather than flooding the market... think Samsung.

The flip side is that they've chosen their markets well, and have spent their R & D money on making a few products very well rather than flooding the market... think Samsung.

You do seem easily manipulated by the media/marketing. And Apple is definitely the king of marketing. Otherwise, you wouldn't believe the BS you just spitted out. ;)

Edited by NCBirdfan

You do seem easily manipulated by the media/marketing. And Apple is definitely the king of marketing. Otherwise, you wouldn't believe the BS you just spitted out. ;)

I agree. As mentioned I bought my neice a Macbook Pro, not because I thought it was the greatest computer in the world, but because that's what she wanted. I would never buy one for myself. Nor would I buy an Iphone. My Samsung S3 has out lasted 3 of my roommates Iphones. Not that anything went wrong them, but she's a slave to apple products and upgrades. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I suspect she'll have an Iphone 10 in a few years simply because it's the new apple phone. I can't knock a good hustle :)

Microsoft even copied Apple's stores. I think there's one in Columbia Mall.

Still looking for a Microsoft product that hasn't been copied.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/02/13/microsoft-stores-are-very-sad-places/

Microsoft Stores Are Very Sad Places

Microsoft stores are expanding. The rare, dedicated brick-and-mortar outlets for the tech giant started popping up two years ago, and now they’re moving into New York, Canada and beyond. Microsoft’s objective is clear: to become a destination retailer as ubiquitous as its chief competitor, Apple.

For those of you who haven’t been to a Microsoft store, it isn’t hard to imagine. Picture an Apple store. Now picture a poorly designed Apple store. That’s pretty much it. I walked into a Microsoft store for the first time recently. It was, for lack of a better word, pathetic. It caused me to feel real pathos for Microsoft, a company that seems to have no sense of what it is.

Everything in the Microsoft store is a cheap knockoff of Apple.

Edited by boink

The thing with Microsoft which will allow it's continued solid (as opposed to glorious) success is that it is a platform designed to allow the open market to take over. While some of their products are proprietary, most of them are moddable and useable with after-market upgrades. The problem is, they've second-rate because their processes do not enforce quality in their hardware products. MS has become the GM of computers.

Apple, on the other hand, is heavily proprietary. They also take a lot of credit for others' work. The appstore development process is one designed to maximize profit from Apple's perspective.

Apple's products are still good, but there are design changes which have made the laptop operating systems degrade in performance, mostly through background processes. I do have to say, Macbooks are probably the best value out there. I have owned two macs (one had water spilled on it) since the 2000's and my wife has had one Macbook for something like 6 years. They are durable and flexible, and the seem to stand the test of time.

Edited by Far from home

Microsoft even copied Apple's stores. I think there's one in Columbia Mall.

Still looking for a Microsoft product that hasn't been copied.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/02/13/microsoft-stores-are-very-sad-places/

Microsoft Stores Are Very Sad Places

Microsoft stores are expanding. The rare, dedicated brick-and-mortar outlets for the tech giant started popping up two years ago, and now they’re moving into New York, Canada and beyond. Microsoft’s objective is clear: to become a destination retailer as ubiquitous as its chief competitor, Apple.

For those of you who haven’t been to a Microsoft store, it isn’t hard to imagine. Picture an Apple store. Now picture a poorly designed Apple store. That’s pretty much it. I walked into a Microsoft store for the first time recently. It was, for lack of a better word, pathetic. It caused me to feel real pathos for Microsoft, a company that seems to have no sense of what it is.

Everything in the Microsoft store is a cheap knockoff of Apple.

Funny you keep going on about MS copying things yet never addressed this:

I would call Apple a marketing company that sells hardware.

Apple didn't invent the GUI (Xerox).  They didn't invent OSX (it was built from NextStep and UNIX).  They didn't invent the mp3 player.  They didn't invent the smartphone.  They didn't invent the tablet.  They did refine and improve on all of those things and also had a marketing genius.

Oh, and don't know about MS stores, but Apple stores are lame.  Their employees are nutcases and it's a struggle to deal with them just to pick up a laptop or buy a cable.  But their marketing obviously has you fooled.

The thing with Microsoft which will allow it's continued solid (as opposed to glorious) success is that it is a platform designed to allow the open market to take over. While some of their products are proprietary, most of them are moddable and useable with after-market upgrades. The problem is, they've second-rate because their processes do not enforce quality in their hardware products. MS has become the GM of computers.

Apple, on the other hand, is heavily proprietary. They also take a lot of credit for others' work. The appstore development process is one designed to maximize profit from Apple's perspective.

Apple's products are still good, but there are design changes which have made the laptop operating systems degrade in performance, mostly through background processes. I do have to say, Macbooks are probably the best value out there. I have owned two macs (one had water spilled on it) since the 2000's and my wife has had one Macbook for something like 6 years. They are durable and flexible, and the seem to stand the test of time.

Microsoft tried to be proprietary with their software in the 90s and had various anti-trust cases brought against them.  Apple has escaped this I guess because they are mainly a consumer company.

Funny you keep going on about MS copying things yet never addressed this:

Good luck getting him to address that. It's not how fanboy's roll :D