#41 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,461 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:14 AM

A whopping 6%?  :o

I forgot to add in OSX10.9, so it was really 5.27 percent in January 2015. But yeah.
The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#42 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,098 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:00 AM

http://www.nytimes.c...-microsoft.html

How, and Why, Apple Overtook Microsoft

Microsoft has repeatedly tried to diversify, and continues to do so under Mr. Nadella. But “it’s been more of a follower whereas Apple has been more of a trendsetter, trying to reinvent an industry,” Mr. Sacconaghi said.

Once again, that article's comparisons make no sense. 

Robert X. Cringely, the pen name of the technology journalist Mark Stephens, told me this week that when he interviewed Microsoft’s co-founder, Bill Gates, in 1998 for Vanity Fair, Mr. Gates “couldn’t imagine a situation in which Apple would ever be bigger and more profitable than Microsoft.”

They are taking quotes from 17 years ago about two PC companies and comparing to the present day where one of the companies is now primarily a phone manufacturer.  When Microsoft switches to being primarily a phone manufacturer, then this comparison will make sense. 

#43 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:25 PM

He's never going to get it. Some people are just stuck on stupid. 

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#44 Guest_NCBirdfan_*

Guest_NCBirdfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:18 AM

I'm not sure I follow your post here - Apple has nothing *over* Microsoft in the PC arena, Microsoft/Intel/AMD still dominate that category, and if you go by devices sold, Apple is still lagging behind Microsoft overall, and both are FAR behind Google.

http://www.fool.com/...econd-plac.aspx

I was posting from a marketing standpoint only. The people who do buy Apple are the most loyal customers I have ever seen.

Edited by NCBirdfan, 19 February 2015 - 09:29 AM.

#45 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:45 AM

I was posting from a marketing standpoint only. The people who do buy Apple are the most loyal customers I have ever seen.

No doubt about that. My roommate has bought every Iphone to be released the last 10 years. I call it crazy  :D

Edited by bmore_ken, 19 February 2015 - 09:46 AM.

#46 EnochRoot

EnochRoot

Money won't change me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:08 AM

Once again, that article's comparisons make no sense. 

They are taking quotes from 17 years ago about two PC companies and comparing to the present day where one of the companies is now primarily a phone manufacturer.  When Microsoft switches to being primarily a phone manufacturer, then this comparison will make sense. 

Apple isn't just a phone manufacturer, I said typing a response on my 2014 Retina Display 15" Macbook Pro, while watching the online streaming CBS News app on my AppleTV...

#47 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:24 AM

Apple isn't just a phone manufacturer, I said typing a response on my 2014 Retina Display 15" Macbook Pro, while watching the online streaming CBS News app on my AppleTV...

The point was Apple is not a direct competitor of MS. MS doesn't sell phones, media devices, or computers

Edited by bmore_ken, 19 February 2015 - 11:24 AM.

#48 Guest_NCBirdfan_*

Guest_NCBirdfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:43 PM

The point was Apple is not a direct competitor of MS. MS doesn't sell phones, media devices, or computers

Microsoft does make laptops/tablets or whatever these are:

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us

#49 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:56 PM

Microsoft does make laptops/tablets or whatever these are:

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us

True they make the Surface, but that's not really a direct competitor of the Ipad. The Ipad is a tablet. The Surface is more of a hybrid tablet/laptop

#50 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,098 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

I have both of the those products (slightly different macbook pro), but considering that 69% of their revenue is from the iPhone, I consider them a phone manufacturer.

#51 douger

douger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,735 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:43 PM

Apple is probably not as in good a position as it thinks. Being so dependent on one device isn't a great thing - it's not even remotely comparable to what Microsoft and Windows are - which is far more PC based. Microsoft is still the dominant force in PC OS's, and will be for the forseable future, but Apple is not only not the dominant force in phones, it's losing ground rapidly to Android.

http://www.idc.com/p...arket-share.jsp

This doesn't account for the bump of the iPhone6 as the data wasn't in yet, but it's still a rather alarming graph for Apple fans.

Android, and particuarly, Samsung are dominating the worldwide market. Outside of the U.S., nobody cares much about, or for Apple and it's proprietary OS's.

The flip side is that they've chosen their markets well, and have spent their R & D money on making a few products very well rather than flooding the market... think Samsung.

#52 Guest_NCBirdfan_*

Guest_NCBirdfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:51 PM

The flip side is that they've chosen their markets well, and have spent their R & D money on making a few products very well rather than flooding the market... think Samsung.

You do seem easily manipulated by the media/marketing. And Apple is definitely the king of marketing. Otherwise, you wouldn't believe the BS you just spitted out. ;)

Edited by NCBirdfan, 19 February 2015 - 07:52 PM.

#53 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:40 AM

You do seem easily manipulated by the media/marketing. And Apple is definitely the king of marketing. Otherwise, you wouldn't believe the BS you just spitted out. ;)

I agree. As mentioned I bought my neice a Macbook Pro, not because I thought it was the greatest computer in the world, but because that's what she wanted. I would never buy one for myself. Nor would I buy an Iphone. My Samsung S3 has out lasted 3 of my roommates Iphones. Not that anything went wrong them, but she's a slave to apple products and upgrades. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I suspect she'll have an Iphone 10 in a few years simply because it's the new apple phone. I can't knock a good hustle :)

#54 boink

boink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:47 AM

Microsoft even copied Apple's stores. I think there's one in Columbia Mall.

Still looking for a Microsoft product that hasn't been copied.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/02/13/microsoft-stores-are-very-sad-places/

Microsoft Stores Are Very Sad Places

Microsoft stores are expanding. The rare, dedicated brick-and-mortar outlets for the tech giant started popping up two years ago, and now they’re moving into New York, Canada and beyond. Microsoft’s objective is clear: to become a destination retailer as ubiquitous as its chief competitor, Apple.

For those of you who haven’t been to a Microsoft store, it isn’t hard to imagine. Picture an Apple store. Now picture a poorly designed Apple store. That’s pretty much it. I walked into a Microsoft store for the first time recently. It was, for lack of a better word, pathetic. It caused me to feel real pathos for Microsoft, a company that seems to have no sense of what it is.

Everything in the Microsoft store is a cheap knockoff of Apple.

Edited by boink, 20 February 2015 - 06:48 AM.

#55 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,740 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:08 AM

The thing with Microsoft which will allow it's continued solid (as opposed to glorious) success is that it is a platform designed to allow the open market to take over. While some of their products are proprietary, most of them are moddable and useable with after-market upgrades. The problem is, they've second-rate because their processes do not enforce quality in their hardware products. MS has become the GM of computers.

Apple, on the other hand, is heavily proprietary. They also take a lot of credit for others' work. The appstore development process is one designed to maximize profit from Apple's perspective.

Apple's products are still good, but there are design changes which have made the laptop operating systems degrade in performance, mostly through background processes. I do have to say, Macbooks are probably the best value out there. I have owned two macs (one had water spilled on it) since the 2000's and my wife has had one Macbook for something like 6 years. They are durable and flexible, and the seem to stand the test of time.

Edited by Far from home, 20 February 2015 - 08:08 AM.

Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#56 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,098 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:23 AM

Microsoft even copied Apple's stores. I think there's one in Columbia Mall.

Still looking for a Microsoft product that hasn't been copied.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/02/13/microsoft-stores-are-very-sad-places/

Microsoft Stores Are Very Sad Places

Microsoft stores are expanding. The rare, dedicated brick-and-mortar outlets for the tech giant started popping up two years ago, and now they’re moving into New York, Canada and beyond. Microsoft’s objective is clear: to become a destination retailer as ubiquitous as its chief competitor, Apple.

For those of you who haven’t been to a Microsoft store, it isn’t hard to imagine. Picture an Apple store. Now picture a poorly designed Apple store. That’s pretty much it. I walked into a Microsoft store for the first time recently. It was, for lack of a better word, pathetic. It caused me to feel real pathos for Microsoft, a company that seems to have no sense of what it is.

Everything in the Microsoft store is a cheap knockoff of Apple.

Funny you keep going on about MS copying things yet never addressed this:

I would call Apple a marketing company that sells hardware.

Apple didn't invent the GUI (Xerox).  They didn't invent OSX (it was built from NextStep and UNIX).  They didn't invent the mp3 player.  They didn't invent the smartphone.  They didn't invent the tablet.  They did refine and improve on all of those things and also had a marketing genius.

Oh, and don't know about MS stores, but Apple stores are lame.  Their employees are nutcases and it's a struggle to deal with them just to pick up a laptop or buy a cable.  But their marketing obviously has you fooled.

#57 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,098 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:26 AM

The thing with Microsoft which will allow it's continued solid (as opposed to glorious) success is that it is a platform designed to allow the open market to take over. While some of their products are proprietary, most of them are moddable and useable with after-market upgrades. The problem is, they've second-rate because their processes do not enforce quality in their hardware products. MS has become the GM of computers.

Apple, on the other hand, is heavily proprietary. They also take a lot of credit for others' work. The appstore development process is one designed to maximize profit from Apple's perspective.

Apple's products are still good, but there are design changes which have made the laptop operating systems degrade in performance, mostly through background processes. I do have to say, Macbooks are probably the best value out there. I have owned two macs (one had water spilled on it) since the 2000's and my wife has had one Macbook for something like 6 years. They are durable and flexible, and the seem to stand the test of time.

Microsoft tried to be proprietary with their software in the 90s and had various anti-trust cases brought against them.  Apple has escaped this I guess because they are mainly a consumer company.

#58 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:42 AM

Funny you keep going on about MS copying things yet never addressed this:

Good luck getting him to address that. It's not how fanboy's roll :D