Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RM7

Gilman

1,846 posts in this topic

His family would not have been candidates to receive $25K in financial aid, so whatever you want to call it, it was basically an athletic scholarship.

but then ga say this:

Gilman doesn't give athletic scholarships. They give money to many kids who excel in many different fields. 

so is it against rules to give scholarships for athletics or not?  

or is hidin it behind some "excel in many different fields" the way they get away with it?

Edited by DreadPirateRoberts

but then ga say this:

so is it against rules to give scholarships for athletics or not?  

or is hidin it behind some "excel in many different fields" the way they get away with it?

Kid is a hell of a Tuba player, also plays the bagpipes. Strictly a coincidence that he's a great athlete, baseball player and football player. This is the part that I liked the old way, traditions where brothers went to the same school. They can do what they want but just admit what it is. It's not like the Glee Club was after him. It was the Baseball and Football Coaches. Just admit it.   Feel like I'm listening to a politician tap dancing around the truth.

Kid is a hell of a Tuba player, also plays the bagpipes. Strictly a coincidence that he's a great athlete, baseball player and football player. This is the part that I liked the old way, traditions where brothers went to the same school. They can do what they want but just admit what it is. It's not like the Glee Club was after him. It was the Baseball and Football Coaches. Just admit it. Feel like I'm listening to a politician tap dancing around the truth.

yeah the guy says that the baseball and football coaches were all over him, yet he gets money for "non-sport related talents" ?

Also privates can do what they want with their money but in many associations of privates want to be apart of them, they can not give athletic scholarships.

So Idk what the Miaa rules are, but if they do have a rule saying they cannot give them out then the privates in them are being told what they can, and cannot do with their money.

The Fitzgeralds work hard for their money...and they pay tuition.  Fitzgerald wasn't even recruited to play football at Gilman. Irish Way is the same scumbag that asserted that the African-Americans on the Gilman team were academically inferior---because they are AA...and the AA population as a whole is inferior. Screw him.

Lots of parents try to use their sons athletic ability to get full rides...and there is nothing wrong with that.  However, when families that can pay some tuition insist that Gilman or Biff offer a 'full scholarship'...they are often told that isn't how Gilman works.  Those kids often end up at McD.  McD does find full scholarships for kids...and I think that it is great of them to do so!!   Any way a kid can get a top notch education...it is ok with me...whether it be Gil, McD, St. Johns, or Poly.  We should be happy and stop hating on everything...

Like GA, another Gilman insider yaking about what others pay or don't pay in tuition at The Dawg Pound!!!  GG, you and GA need to mine your own business and let the rest of us have our fun talking out of our butts about what goes on at Gilman.  You yoyos just affirm what we suspects about the deeds going on there. That is, the best money can buy not being the best.

The Fitzgeralds work hard for their money...and they pay tuition.  Fitzgerald wasn't even recruited to play football at Gilman. Irish Way is the same scumbag that asserted that the African-Americans on the Gilman team were academically inferior---because they are AA...and the AA population as a whole is inferior. Screw him.

Lots of parents try to use their sons athletic ability to get full rides...and there is nothing wrong with that.  However, when families that can pay some tuition insist that Gilman or Biff offer a 'full scholarship'...they are often told that isn't how Gilman works.  Those kids often end up at McD.  McD does find full scholarships for kids...and I think that it is great of them to do so!!   Any way a kid can get a top notch education...it is ok with me...whether it be Gil, McD, St. Johns, or Poly.  We should be happy and stop hating on everything...

You say that you do not care how people get a top notch education, even if they are only being used for their athletic ability and they would not give a good ******* about them if they did not?

I didn't go to Gilman, but you are correct...keep talking out your butt...but lets not pretend there is any merit to the butt talk.  Do you think Irish Way should mind his business...or just me and GA?

You can only be used if you allow yourself to be used, i.e. skipping class, majoring in basket-weaving, having others write your papers.  If you are availing yourself to the same education as others at the school, then you are not being used...IMHO.  Scholarship is a good thing and is not likely to go away from the high school or college level.  It is only twisted into a bad thing on this forum full of haters.

I didn't go to Gilman, but you are correct...keep talking out your butt...but lets not pretend there is any merit to the butt talk.  Do you think Irish Way should mind his business...or just me and GA?

:D    Quit talking about my butt.  I don't swing your way....you are a funny fellow GG.

So tell me GG, how do you know what the Fritzgeralds pay or don't pay at Gilman?  You may not have attended Gilman but you must know something to claim they hard work and that they pay tuition.  If you know as an insider, again I say it is none of your freakin' business and not for you to call it out on a public message board.  But if you are not an insider and know and just talking without facts, welcome to our club.  Now are you butt talking with us or more serious @zz talking in the know....????

Edited by DayWalker

And how do you go from a kid getting a free education...to the school or coaches not caring about the kid?  I think most high school coaches care deeply about their kids. Most school administrators care deeply about their students' success.  Only in this cynical, critical, hate-filled, fantasy world of fake names and identities do we ascribe the very worst intentions to everyone and everything...lol...

You can only be used if you allow yourself to be used, i.e. skipping class, majoring in basket-weaving, having others write your papers.  If you are availing yourself to the same education as others at the school, then you are not being used...IMHO.  Scholarship is a good thing and is not likely to go away from the high school or college level.  It is only twisted into a bad thing on this forum full of haters.

GG

I really don't think anyone here is questioning "scholarships."  Some may be questioning "athletic scholarships."

Junior or juniorette is on an athletic scholarship and does not perform, a school could be well within its right to pull the athletic scholarship much like if the kid were on an academic scholarship and didn't perform academically then would you be okay with pulling the schoolly.  I guess yes you would be okay with pulling the academic scholarship but what about the athletic scholarship because junior didn't catch as many TDs as projected?  Understand we are talking about the high school level.

I'm just interested in your take.  No argument.  Just your thought.

Edited by DayWalker

I have not heard of any school pulling an athletic scholarship on the high school level based on the kid not performing as expected...of course, you may not be able to just decide to give up your sport.  But I would have a problem with a school pulling a scholarship because a kid wasn't a standout performer or due to injury.  

Some colleges and conferences require scholarships to now be 4 year commitments from the school--so you cant lose it just because you are not as good on the field as expected.

I have not heard of any school pulling an athletic scholarship on the high school level based on the kid not performing as expected...of course, you may not be able to just decide to give up your sport.  But I would have a problem with a school pulling a scholarship because a kid wasn't a standout performer or due to injury.  

Some colleges and conferences require scholarships to now be 4 year commitments from the school--so you cant lose it just because you are not as good on the field as expected.

I actually agree with the 4 year commitment rule but my point was that if the kid did not play a sport the school would not take an interest in him or her. The only reason they are there is because of their athletic ability. No doubt they are getting a good education but I do not agree with going after Junior because he is 6'3 270 and happens to play football, why not just go after Junior regardless? The reason that schools do not just go after Junior is because it does not benefit the school in any way.

Ever heard of Aaron Wells GC is known for this practice?

I've never even heard of high school athletic scholarships.  Maybe vouchers, need-based aid, or some other forms of tuition and fees payment plans but not out right athletic scholarship.  What happened in the Aaron Wells situation?

Edited by First_Down

yeah the guy says that the baseball and football coaches were all over him, yet he gets money for "non-sport related talents" ?

Also privates can do what they want with their money but in many associations of privates want to be apart of them, they can not give athletic scholarships.

So Idk what the Miaa rules are, but if they do have a rule saying they cannot give them out then the privates in them are being told what they can, and cannot do with their money.

First off, how would you even prove that a kid is getting an "athletic scholarship?" The school would essentially have to come out and say that the money was because of athletics.

But this isn't even the case. As I and GG said, the kid pays tuition. I can also confirm what GG said, I know of players parents who demanded that they receive a "full ride" at Gilman and be told hell no and end up at McDonogh.

First off, how would you even prove that a kid is getting an "athletic scholarship?" The school would essentially have to come out and say that the money was because of athletics.

But this isn't even the case. As I and GG said, the kid pays tuition. I can also confirm what GG said, I know of players parents who demanded that they receive a "full ride" at Gilman and be told hell no and end up at McDonogh.

GA,

I don't care if they are giving them money. Since Gilman has more money than the other schools like Calvert Hall don't you think they have an advantage. Maybe you can't call it an Athletic Scholarship but if he wasn't good in Sports, he's at Calvert Hall where his brothers went. Do you agree?

It's OK, call it whatever you want, but we all know what it's for which is OK, just don't act like it's for some other reason like he won a Nobel Peace Prize. It is what it is.

Oh come on GA.  It could be proved when dad and mom filed their taxes and listed the Gilman $25,000 tuition deduction..... or not!!!! 

We could wait on you telling all their business. We could extract all those who were recruited to Gilman and stayed rather than go to McDonogh.  They would be the ones on athletic scholarship.   :D

Oh come on GA.  It could be proved when dad and mom filed their taxes and listed the Gilman $25,000 tuition deduction..... or not!!!! 

We could wait on you telling all their business. We could extract all those who were recruited to Gilman and stayed rather than go to McDonogh.  They would be the ones on athletic scholarship.   :D

lol

GA,

I don't care if they are giving them money. Since Gilman has more money than the other schools like Calvert Hall don't you think they have an advantage. Maybe you can't call it an Athletic Scholarship but if he wasn't good in Sports, he's at Calvert Hall where his brothers went. Do you agree?

It's OK, call it whatever you want, but we all know what it's for which is OK, just don't act like it's for some other reason like he won a Nobel Peace Prize. It is what it is.

I've personally had this conversation with his father. They were attracted to Gilman because of the academics and because John really like the school. I've even joked with the grand dad about this at the game, who I believe is also a CHC grad(not positive). The baseball coaches were definitely after him big time, specifically assistant(and football assistant) Keith Kormanik. But from my understanding, it was John who ultimately made the decision to attend Gilman because of his comfort level when he shadowed and visited the campus.

It is only twisted into a bad thing on this forum full of haters.

forum people here hate on gilman for one reason

any guess as to why :rolleyes:

I've personally had this conversation with his father. They were attracted to Gilman because of the academics and because John really like the school. I've even joked with the grand dad about this at the game, who I believe is also a CHC grad(not positive). The baseball coaches were definitely after him big time, specifically assistant(and football assistant) Keith Kormanik. But from my understanding, it was John who ultimately made the decision to attend Gilman because of his comfort level when he shadowed and visited the campus.

Gilman is a fine school.  And there are many fine schools like it all around.  But why is it just football that make so many dislike it?

I don't see folks disliking Dematha, Good Counsel, Georgetown Prep, Gonzaga, Saint John's, and others combined as much as Gilman.

Edited by First_Down

People hate because they are haters...period.  Where I come from, you cant blame the next man for your transgressions.  GA, like him or not, can't be the justification for your hate---that is weak.  There are McD, CH, and Dematha homers abound on this and other forums---I have never felt a single iota of hate towards those schools because of the opinions of those folks on a forum.  Sorry---you have to man up and own your hate...lol.

That's fine. Good with that but don't think he gets financial aid unless he's an exceptional athlete and without it, I'm sure he would have been at Calvert Hall but it's the baseball coach not the Band leader that wanted him. Just call it what it is.

People hate because they are haters...period.  Where I come from, you cant blame the next man for your transgressions.  GA, like him or not, can't be the justification for your hate---that is weak.  There are McD, CH, and Dematha homers abound on this and other forums---I have never felt a single iota of hate towards those schools because of the opinions of those folks on a forum.  Sorry---you have to man up and own your hate...lol.

Exactly! And if you're a grown man and hate a school because of another man, you're definitely the definition of a loser. HSFB is the biggest Gilman hater and ECA homer. He pumps ECA to no end, I don't hate ECA no matter what argument I have with him. I just disagree with him.

That being said, the guy that made the statement is an obvious student and shouldn't even be posting on this board. The reason why I don't reply to his post any longer after I realize that he was a child.