351 replies to this topic

#1 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,368 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 01:39 PM

This year's Caps team is looking pretty formidable IMO. Last night's game against the Pens was a classic, hard hitting rivalry game, and for once, in what seems like years, the Caps played very smart and kept their cool. Ovi and Backstrom are having outstanding seasons, and Borakovsky, Orpik and Kuznetzov have been great newer pieces. Ward, Fehr and Green rock solid contributors as well. Holtby is looking like a top five goalie in the NHL.

The biggest difference though is Barry Trotz, their first real coach since Boudreau. This team seems to have an identity, and a purpose. They are much crisper and more decisive between the blue lines. I am glad they stopped with the ex-Caps coach parade. Hunter tried to make them a defensive team and it didn't fit the personnel. Oates was in well over his head, and the team was sloppy and undisciplined.

They are staying in the hunt for the Metro division title. I really like the makeup of this team, they are well rounded, and pretty solid in all aspects. They play good defense, have a great goalie, and play good offense. Top 10 in scoring, and in goals allowed. Making the playoffs is all but certain, I'd like to see them win the division and get some home ice advantages.
The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#2 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,004 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:09 PM

just seemed like they could not hold a lead last year ......

I was at a bunch of games where they blew leads last year ......

heck my son and I were at one game, red wings i think, where they blew 2 - 2 goal leads in the same game and lost ......

they put a bunch of goals on the board tonight ......

They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#3 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,368 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:02 AM

Yeah, last year, the biggest problem was that they'd score, and immediately relax and give up a goal in return. This team plays lock down defense after scoring, and is so much better between the blues. Last night the Jets, who were red hot coming in, could do next to nothing on offense. The Caps are so much more aggressive under Trotz. They wear teams out as they try to get out of their own zone, harrass them continuously down the ice, and by the time the opponent is in their zone, they have little energy left.
The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#4 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,004 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:20 PM

tough loss to pittsburgh last night and frustrating to watch .........

seems like they were shorthanded more than half of the 2nd period and that keep ovie on the bench ......

crosby's goal was a beauty ......

Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#5 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,368 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:41 AM

Yeah, that was a ****** called game.

#6 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,004 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:51 PM

Ovie is a little banged up and a game time decision tonight .....

I have tickets for Saturday night and know my son will be disappointed if he doesn't play .....

I know priority is healthy for the long haul but we like watching him starting with warm ups from down buy the ice to the power plays when he sets up down at our end .....
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#7 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,004 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:23 PM

pissed away that game tonight in the 3rd period .....

green just gave them the winning goal ......

Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#8 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,004 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:16 AM

ovie questionable for tonight ......

tough way to start a huge home stand with him missing his first game in 96 games thursday ......

I know my son will be disappointed if he doesn't play tonight because he is fun to watch warm up and play .....

Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#9 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,004 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:50 PM

Ovi is playing and looks ok.....

1-1 @ the end of the first......

They do a good job with these games and little Terp really enjoys them ....
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#10 Guest_slapshot_*

Guest_slapshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:04 PM

Not about the Caps, but if you've ever spent any time around hockey players, you might get a chuckle out of the "flow" of Minnesota State High School Tournament:

...love the wink.

#11 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,004 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:13 PM

good game so far against the rangers .....

down 2-1 starting the 2nd with the pp ......

Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#12 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,855 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:56 AM

Good thing they won the shootout last night.  Would have been bad to shutout Boston and lose to the worst team the next night.

#13 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,368 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:44 AM

Yeah, it seemed like early on they just could not keep Buffalo from getting good looks. Seemed a little tired, and Buffalo played with a lot of energy.

Hopefully they are coming out of their mini-slump, because some other teams are heating up. I'd like to see them catch Pittsburgh, who has been mired in a similar slump. I think a playoff spot is secure, but it would be good to get a top 3 Metro standing.

#14 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,368 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:21 AM

Huge win last night against a good team on the road. 

10 games to go, man this race is tightening up, but at last, they've caught the Penguins who look like they are in freefall.  Malkin is gonna be out a good portion of the stretch run too.

Edited by alienrace, 20 March 2015 - 09:23 AM.

#15 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,368 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:12 PM

Another key win against the Devils. 

Penguins are still neck and neck, I think without Malkin the Caps pass them.  Bruins in freefall, looks like the Caps are all but assured of making it in, barring a total collapse.  Key is getting that third spot in the Metro. 

#16 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,855 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:41 AM

Can the Caps ever win two in a row?

#17 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,368 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:34 AM

Can the Caps ever win two in a row?

Hopefully it starts with the game against the lowly Canes.  Their closing schedule is murderous.  They have to win three games I think to cinch this up.

#18 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,855 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:53 PM

Hopefully it starts with the game against the lowly Canes.  Their closing schedule is murderous.  They have to win three games I think to cinch this up.

They shouldn't have any problems making it, but a little momentum would be nice.

#19 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,004 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:48 AM

Went to the Blackhawks - Kings game at the United Center last night .....

Big game for 2 real good teams .....

I go to a couple Caps games a year and have been to a few other venues but that was the loudest hockey game I've been to and the loudest national anthem at any sporting event ....

Cool experience .....
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#20 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,368 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:32 AM

Caps take care of Canes, Ovechkin makes history with his 6th 50 goal season, tied now for 3rd all time.  Breaks Bondra's record in the process.

Ottawa still hanging on to striking distance, going to be a crazy stretch run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users