Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alienrace

Caps

352 posts in this topic

interesting 1st period with suban shadowing ovi where ever he goes ......

2 big dudes starting to get testy .....

nice penalty kill but we need to pull the trigger on some shots and not try to make that perfect pass ....

yea !!!!! .....

what a goal to break the franchise record and take the lead by ovi ......

This was one of the most exciting games of the year, and biggest wins.  Ovi was a monster the entire game.  Was hoping he'd be the one to win the shootout, but I'll settle for Brouwer pulling it off :D

That was a great game .....

Moving up in the playoff standings and knocking pittsburgh down to the wc made it nicer .....

Playing well at the right time beating the 2 top teams in the east in the last 2 weeks of the season .....

Playing well at the right time beating the 2 top teams in the east in the last 2 weeks of the season .....

This is what I think is showing that this team is *not* the S.O.C(Same Old Caps).  Trotz is a great, and different kind of coach.  He is getting the best out of each player.  Ovi is playing pretty decent defense too. 

What I like about this team the most though, is Braden Holtby.  He's quickly become a top-5 goalie in the NFL, and has saved this team a number of times when they've had the occasional defensive lapse(which this year is far more rare than last year).  In years past, each time the Caps scored, you just had this feeling that the other team was going to score almost right away, because, well, they would.  Now you have a much more disciplined team, with an outstanding goalie and they are able to make leads hold. 

One thing that is frustrating in the NHL though, is the officiating.  Home teams constantly get the calls.  Last night, provided some exceptional illustration of *that*.  Caps up 4-3, and Glencross gets shoved in the back by a Hab, and falls into Price.  Goalie interference on the Caps, and Montreal gets a PP that leads to the tying score.  That was utterly ridiculous and unacceptable.  Meanwhile, after that, on at least two, maybe three occasions, the Habs held, hooked, and tripped Caps with no call, but you can best believe had the teams been reversed in those situations, that the Habs would have gotten more PP's to close the game out.  Something needs to be done about the home-cooked officiating that goes on throughout the NHL.  It's like they have specific "quotas" that the home team needs x amount of PP's or something.  SMDH.

This is what I think is showing that this team is *not* the S.O.C(Same Old Caps). Trotz is a great, and different kind of coach. He is getting the best out of each player. Ovi is playing pretty decent defense too.

What I like about this team the most though, is Braden Holtby. He's quickly become a top-5 goalie in the NFL, and has saved this team a number of times when they've had the occasional defensive lapse(which this year is far more rare than last year). In years past, each time the Caps scored, you just had this feeling that the other team was going to score almost right away, because, well, they would. Now you have a much more disciplined team, with an outstanding goalie and they are able to make leads hold.

One thing that is frustrating in the NHL though, is the officiating. Home teams constantly get the calls. Last night, provided some exceptional illustration of *that*. Caps up 4-3, and Glencross gets shoved in the back by a Hab, and falls into Price. Goalie interference on the Caps, and Montreal gets a PP that leads to the tying score. That was utterly ridiculous and unacceptable. Meanwhile, after that, on at least two, maybe three occasions, the Habs held, hooked, and tripped Caps with no call, but you can best believe had the teams been reversed in those situations, that the Habs would have gotten more PP's to close the game out. Something needs to be done about the home-cooked officiating that goes on throughout the NHL. It's like they have specific "quotas" that the home team needs x amount of PP's or something. SMDH.

And the Habs almost got away with that 1 flagrant hooking penalty. ....

They only called it when he did it a second time .....

Holby is playing great and you need a hot goalie this time of year ....

There was a good article in the post a few weeks back taking a look at the caps rep as playoff chokers .....

It's been frustrating as hell but the reality was that in the majority of times the higher ranked team won .....

I was at College Park when they were getting started 40 years ago and they used to come on campus and give away tickets just to get people in the seats ;).....

Lot more fun and a tougher ticket now ....

At least we are in again after the one year gap last year .....

Hanging in there ......

Down 3 0 in 1st now 3 2 in the 3rd......

Dang have to keep flipping to wisc beating up on UK .....

Edited by Eastside Terp

Playoffs secured.  Keep the momentum going.

Definitely want to see them close out second in the Metro div.  They are playing very well right now. 

They did good to secure a top 3 spot in the division despite playing a brutal schedule for their last 10 games. That nashville game was pretty poor(of course that's the one I decided to watch!) but they've given me hope they can make it through the first round. Beating the Rangers in a 7-game series is a long shot (and man am I sick of that matchup in the playoffs!) but that's how you finish out a season. Could have easily wound up out of it with that schedule. 

Now we can sit back and watch the Pens/Bruins/Sens fight for that last spot :D 

Of course the Pens have the easy matchup, but they've lost five straight, and badly, so who knows?

So it's the islanders ......

Pens got the Rangers and Ottawa got the Habs .....

Late season spurt has them in a better position .....

Go Caps!

Teams in the SC only go as far as their net minder takes them.

This team doesn't cut it. I was encouraged by that last stretch but they aren't getting out of this round. 

Not looking good.  They look nervous, tentative, and with the stink of the pressure of playoff failures past hanging over them like a storm cloud. 

If they go on to win this series, that will be marked as the turning point. 

The game started with more of the same, tentative, sloppy play, unsure, and uptight.  Then Down 2-0, it seemed like they just said f***-it, and went back to playing the physical, heavy game that they've learned under Trotz.  The Isles got a break on a sloppy play and got it back up 3-1, but you could see that the Caps were really taking it to them at that point, I had no doubt they would come back when they answered to make it 3-2.  Ovie was *huge* in this game, as was Backstrom.  They might not win the series(but I think they will), but at least it's not like years past where one setback winds up being a 4-0 sweep.

No doubt the turning point if they move on ......

Middle of the second period game and hopefully series turned.....

Good to get Ovi and Backstrum back on the same line, hope it stays that way ....

I was traveling all week and missed that debacle in game 1 .....

Didn't look good last night for the first 25 minutes or so but what a great finish

End of the 2nd and we are lucky it's only 1 zip .....

Hard hitting game, lots of good hits ....