Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
workerbee

My Favorite Bassist and what a voice.

75 posts in this topic

I met miroslav in Colorado and took him trout fishing!

What, no Richard Brautigan?

Ted's on Center St probably has an interior decorator DB.  I see they haven't burned to the ground and are still open. 

Ted's still open...!

Has to be one of the oldest non-chain businesses in Baltimore (at least).

Ted's still open...!

Has to be one of the oldest non-chain businesses in Baltimore (at least).

Yes, I was very surprised to see them still there too.  They had a fire a few decades ago I thought had finally put them out of business. 

A gross oversight on my part. Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones were a Boss rhythm section.

I saw Ray Brown perform on a jazz cruise in the early '90s. He was very dependable bass player.

Another gross oversight. Without looking, I think he worked with Oscar Peterson for a while. Brown was cited quite often by Vernon Welsh and Benny Kearse, who hosted the Left Bank Jazz Society's Saturday evening broadcast on WBJC radio (from Baltimore Junior College aka Community College Of Baltimore).

Another gross oversight. Without looking, I think he worked with Oscar Peterson for a while. Brown was cited quite often by Vernon Welsh and Benny Kearse, who hosted the Left Bank Jazz Society's Saturday evening broadcast on WBJC radio (from Baltimore Junior College aka Community College Of Baltimore).

That WBJC show brings back memories. I used to also listen to Benny Kearse hosting the LBJS show on Saturday nights on WBJC when I was a teenager. Back then, the LBJS had shows every Sunday at the old Famous Ballroom on Charles Street. They had some major musicians performing there back then. I was too young to attend those shows, but I was faithful listener of the Saturday night show.

We got her covered in post 7.

I know that, I was posting a link to a current newspaper story about her.  I thought people might be interested in it since they had brought her up. ;)  ;)

Song of the New World is a 1973 album by McCoy Tyner (John Coltrane's pianist).

Joony Booth: Bass

Stanley Clark upright bass solo.

Interesting,while I appreciate these solo bassists I prefer bass players in bands.

I must be weird I don't even listen to solo bass players.

Interesting,while I appreciate these solo bassists I prefer bass players in bands.

I must be weird I don't even listen to solo bass players.

Stanley's band includes a bassist... while he solos on bass.  

Milt Hinton doing a bass lesson. I had the opportunity to see Mr. Hinton perform around 1992. He was a very nice man.

http://www.vogue.com/13523580/peace-ball-trump-inauguration-esperanza-spalding-interview/

"Why is the Peace Ball important, and what kind of message are you trying to send?"

"There’s this idea called “we the people,” and I really love the “we” in that phrase, because it doesn’t wave the flag of “us” or “them.” I think I have fallen into the bad habit of thinking of myself as an “us” and actually identifying other fellow citizens as “them.” That can’t work in a system of democracy that is built on the ideal of “we.” That’s an ideal that obviously we’ve struggled with as a people here in the United States of America. And what I see in this Peace Ball is an idea of a “we” to celebrate. To say, “Yeah, this is our president. This is a part of our ‘we.’” But this Peace Ball is also a part of that “we.” That’s why I wanted to be a part of it, and that’s why I’m excited to be in D.C. at this time, because I’m ready to start practicing what “we” actually means."

I love this woman!