Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SemiAuto

Fear the Walking Dead.

100 posts in this topic

Madison? (The mom/guidance counselor)

I was disappointed in how she did nothing to help her neighbor who was getting attacked by her husband who had turned.

What was she supposed to do? I think she's figured out that the walkers are very dangerous and hard to stop based on her two encounters with them so far. But no, the one I'm really getting to dislike is Nick the junkie son.

Send your mom out the score for you.

Have your sister clean up your withdraw puke.

Whine anyway.

Zombies... ATTACK!!!!

What was she supposed to do? I think she's figured out that the walkers are very dangerous and hard to stop based on her two encounters with them so far. But no, the one I'm really getting to dislike is Nick the junkie son.

Send your mom out the score for you.

Have your sister clean up your withdraw puke.

Whine anyway.

Zombies... ATTACK!!!!

The daughter isn't very likable as well.

I think the only characters I may like are Travis and the Barber guy played by Reuben Blades

The daughter isn't very likable as well.

I think the only characters I may like are Travis and the Barber guy played by Reuben Blades

She is a bit bratty but then who wouldn't be when cleaning up puke. She seems to be the character with the most to lose. She already lost her boyfriend. She is supposed to be the 'smart' kid in the family yet with the world going to hell she stands to lose that too. I'm guessing she'll be the big tragic figure in all this.

Travis seems a little wooden to me. That whole 'let's go to the shooting gallery in the middle of the night' thing jumped the shark a bit. If it were my kid in the hospital, knowing for sure he wasn't in the shooting gallery, I would have told the cops about the place in hopes that they would go in and bust it up.

I haven't seen enough of the barber to make a call on him. He helped out Travis and family by letting them in. If he turns out to be the moral compass character then he stands about as much of a chance of surviving as a red shirt on Star Trek.

Looking forward to tomorrow night's episode! 

Episode 3 is the best so far. I really like the Barber character played by Reuben Blades. He gets it. The rest of the characters have awful instincts.

Edited by soulflower

Agree that it was a solid episode.

Best Highlight: Daniel pointing out that it was Travis who started keeping score. He seems to be the only one to understand how bad it can get. Anecdote: when I was in high school I worked in restaurant where some immigrants from El Salvador worked. They would sometimes tell me stories about how bad things could be back home. Daniel talks about El Salvador so I'm thinking, based on his age, he could be from that time period and has seen something similar.

Worst Lowlight: Nick the junkie complaining that the oxy was given to Griselda for her injured foot. I'm really getting to hate this character. He is up for 'jackazz of the year' award. Zombies ATTACK!!!!! Runner up was him saying that he was the 'expert'. Being an 'expert' at being a junkie is nothing to brag about. They need to get Leroy Jethro Gibbs on the show just to headslap Nick.

Edited by SemiAuto

Oh, one more thing. Travis telling Madison that he would never leave her again. I laughed while thinking, "How many times did Rick make that promise to Laurie only to constantly run off?"

Agree that it was a solid episode.

Best Highlight: Daniel pointing out that it was Travis who started keeping score. He seems to be the only one to understand how bad it can get. Anecdote: when I was in high school I worked in restaurant where some immigrants from El Salvador worked. They would sometimes tell me stories about how bad things could be back home. Daniel talks about El Salvador so I'm thinking, based on his age, he could be from that time period and has seen something similar.

Worst Lowlight: Nick the junkie complaining that the oxy was given to Griselda for her injured foot. I'm really getting to hate this character. He is up for 'jackazz of the year' award. Zombies ATTACK!!!!! Runner up was him saying that he was the 'expert'. Being an 'expert' at being a junkie is nothing to brag about. They need to get Leroy Jethro Gibbs on the show just to headslap Nick.

Great analysis Semi.

Daniel made blowing that gu'a head off look way too easy and he seems pretty knowledgeable about guns. There most likely is an interesting backstory for him.

What annoys me about Nick is the fact that he never seems to change his clothes. Does he not have any clothes at his Mom's place?

Edited by soulflower

If Daniel was in El Salvador during the 1980's then it would be quite believable that he saw or participated in some nasty stuff (he appears to be the right age). That is the exact sort of back story that would make it easy to kill someone assuming he doesn't know anything more about the epidemic than anyone else.

Or he could be the old trope of 'shoot first and ask questions later' which would be sad.

Edited by SemiAuto

A little disappointed with the pacing(and frequent commercial breaks) of last night's episode. With only two episodes left, I expected the story to move a little faster.

AMC has already committed to a Season 2 for the Walking Dead spinoff. If this is how slow the story moves for a 6 episode season, I'm not sure if I'm going to stay interested for 15 more episodes.

I thought it was pretty good episode.

Best Highlight: Nick finally getting the beat down that he deserved. That it came from his mom was bit shocking and cynically funny.

Worst Lowlight: Madison. You realize things are bad enough that you gave your own son a beat down over being an irresponsible junkie. So when you find a gun lying in the middle of the street what do you do? Leave it there. I know that we, as watchers, know how bad it is going to get but one would think that Madison had figured it out by now. I know, I know... what is she going to do against a platoon of soldiers? Nothing. But you'd still rather have it.

As for the commercial breaks, I wasn't timing it but I did notice that the first break didn't come for a while. It seemed like 25 minutes in. Then they came fast. So maybe they backloaded the commercials. If so, they should really reconsider this.

Also, it looks like Daniel has seen the sort of disappearing acts before and he knows how they turned out.

I thought it was pretty good episode.

Best Highlight: Nick finally getting the beat down that he deserved. That it came from his mom was bit shocking and cynically funny.

Worst Lowlight: Madison. You realize things are bad enough that you gave your own son a beat down over being an irresponsible junkie. So when you find a gun lying in the middle of the street what do you do? Leave it there. I know that we, as watchers, know how bad it is going to get but one would think that Madison had figured it out by now. I know, I know... what is she going to do against a platoon of soldiers? Nothing. But you'd still rather have it.

As for the commercial breaks, I wasn't timing it but I did notice that the first break didn't come for a while. It seemed like 25 minutes in. Then they came fast. So maybe they backloaded the commercials. If so, they should really reconsider this.

Also, it looks like Daniel has seen the sort of disappearing acts before and he knows how they turned out.

Another good summary.

It wasn't a bad episode but it's hard to stay interested when there are so few likable characters and so little action.

It's also interesting how quickly the military is descending towards being the villains. It looks like they are clearing areas by indiscriminately killing both the infected and uninfected.

It will be interesting to see how the likely massacre of living people affects Travis...

I agree about Travis. Does anybody think the flashing lights in the house outside the perimeter at the end of the show was something other than the military clearing the place?

The flashback episode of Shane going back for Rick in TWD had the military indiscriminately killing people. On of the regular themes is that when things go bad, they go bad quick. Maybe this episode was the calm before the storm. A sort of holding out hope that the military will keep things together only to fail or become part of the problem.

If the soldiers have figured out that getting bit is a death sentence then how much does that lend to a 'shoot first, ask questions later' mentality? Maybe it is that 'Shane's do what it takes' versus 'Rick's try to be reasonable' thing again. I think we agree that Rick figured out that Shane was right. The zombie apocalypse brings out the worst in people.

The police and government clearly know more about the outbreak than everyone else and are applying extreme measures to try to contain it

The police and government clearly know more about the outbreak than everyone else and are applying extreme measures to try to contain it

Or the police and government don't know and therefore are applying extreme measures to try to contain it. The CDC episodes from TWD implied they didn't know but that was months after things had already swirled down the crapper.

Or the police and government don't know and therefore are applying extreme measures to try to contain it. The CDC episodes from TWD implied they didn't know but that was months after things had already swirled down the crapper.

In the scene where there was a fresh grave for Travis' neighbor in his backyard, the one soldier seemed to know that people who recently died come back from the dead even if they weren't bitten.

I don't think Rick figured that out til the end of season 2 when he killed Shane

In the scene where there was a fresh grave for Travis' neighbor in his backyard, the one soldier seemed to know that people who recently died come back from the dead even if they weren't bitten.

I don't think Rick figured that out til the end of season 2 when he killed Shane

At the end of the first season the CDC guy told Rick that everyone has it. IIRC, he kept that to himself until just after the farm got overrun.

My guess is that the soldiers have at least figured it out that dead are turning. We've seen it happen fairly quickly. Even on the slower cases, how many times do the body bags have to start wiggling before somebody goes, "Oh shxt!"

At the end of the first season the CDC guy told Rick that everyone has it. IIRC, he kept that to himself until just after the farm got overrun.

My guess is that the soldiers have at least figured it out that dead are turning. We've seen it happen fairly quickly. Even on the slower cases, how many times do the body bags have to start wiggling before somebody goes, "Oh shxt!"

You figure hosptitals, first responders, and the military would be the first to know about the Dead rising from the Dead...

It looks like they're building up to big end or a cliff-hanger.  

Best Highlight:  Daniel explaining that he was one of the guys who made people disappear.  He is turning out to be quite the psycho and Madison is like, "Okay, did you get what you needed from him?"  Travis' ex had better watch out.

Worst Lowlight:  The soldiers playing with Travis over the sniper rifle.  I don't know if they were having fun at his expense or if they were trying to teach him a lesson but Travis, a word about high powered rifles:  if you snuggle up that close to them and pull the trigger, you're gonna get butt slapped.  Still, this is one of the consistent problems I have with all of the Walking Dead.  You're in the middle of a zombie apocalypse and people are being drama queens.  I know it makes for better TV but at times it is too contrived.

Clearly the military and the hospital have a clue as to what is going on.  The soldiers and the doc know you need a head shot.  Morale in the military is hitting rock bottom.

Edited by SemiAuto

I thought last night's episode was really good. Very well paced and the introduction of the new character "Strand" was done well.

I think the soldiers get that civilization is quickly falling apart. They were trying to show Travis, who basically has little idea of what is going on outside the fence, what they're up against.

Travis, like Hershel in Season 2 of TWD, is civilized and not yet accepting that civilization is eroding and the infected can't be saved.

The military seems in over their heads and morale is collapsing.

Daniel remains my favorite character. It's interesting how quickly he's adapting to the new reality.

Maybe Daniel is adapting the fastest because he has the least to change. He has apparently done very bad things before. Meanwhile, Travis, Mr. GoodyTwoShoes, is in denial. Maybe his latest trip outside the quarantine will change him. OTOH, look how long Rick held out to fact that Shane was right.

Travis does remind me a bit of Herschel, and even Rick to a degree early in TWD.  He's a goodtwoshoes anti-violence anti-gun guy, who is about to have his belief system turned upside down completely.

Travis does remind me a bit of Herschel, and even Rick to a degree early in TWD. He's a goodtwoshoes anti-violence anti-gun guy, who is about to have his belief system turned upside down completely.

I actually think having Travis and Daniel at opposite ends of the spectrum makes for a great contrast

But as we've learned over the years from TWD, the Moral characters don't live very long. Travis will need to adapt fast or die...

Edited by soulflower

I actually think having Travis and Daniel at opposite ends of the spectrum makes for a great contrast

But as we've learned over the years from TWD, the Moral characters don't live very long. Travis will need to adapt fast or die...

Having Travis and Daniel at opposite ends just recreates the Rick vs Shane drama from TWD.

Time for the season finale death watch. Just because I don't like him, I'm picking Nick.