Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SemiAuto

Fear the Walking Dead.

100 posts in this topic

There's a season 2 so I assume some main characters will survive.

But I don't mind them killing all the characters off except Daniel

It seems clear now that this show was rushed and produced on a low budget.

That's forgivable for a new TV show but if they're going to do a 15 episode season next year, they really need to overhaul the writing and editing.

Edited by soulflower

There's a season 2 so I assume some main characters will survive.

But I don't mind them killing all the characters off except Daniel

It seems clear now that this show was rushed and produced on a low budget.

That's forgivable for a new TV show but if they're going to do a 15 episode season next year, they really need to overhaul the writing and editing.

Have you noticed how much of a joke the quarantine thing seems to be? The soldiers take Travis out and the squad doesn't return but Travis does. We just see him waltz back into his living room. Did not one soldier stop him to ask where the rest were? Madison did essentially the same thing when she sneaked out on her own. She just magically ends up back at the house. So I agree the writing/editing needs help. Some of these huge gaps are getting harder and harder to ignore.

Have you noticed how much of a joke the quarantine thing seems to be? The soldiers take Travis out and the squad doesn't return but Travis does. We just see him waltz back into his living room. Did not one soldier stop him to ask where the rest were? Madison did essentially the same thing when she sneaked out on her own. She just magically ends up back at the house. So I agree the writing/editing needs help. Some of these huge gaps are getting harder and harder to ignore.

I think they wanted to tell a story of how the outbreak of Zombies got out of control and the government fell apart but didn't get the budget or the number of episodes needed to tell a more detailed story.

So it more or less is becoming the same story as the original Walking Dead but with different characters.

I think they wanted to tell a story of how the outbreak of Zombies got out of control and the government fell apart but didn't get the budget or the number of episodes needed to tell a more detailed story.

So it more or less is becoming the same story as the original Walking Dead but with different characters.

That would be sad if that is what happens.

I'm hoping most of this is just short, first season, problems so I'll give it more time. Otherwise, it wouldn't be the first spinoff to fall flat.

That would be sad if that is what happens.

I'm hoping most of this is just short, first season, problems so I'll give it more time. Otherwise, it wouldn't be the first spinoff to fall flat.

It started off with the helicopters flying around LA and the kids staying home from school with what they thought was the Flu. So from there I thought we'd see a more gradual collapse of law and order and civilization. But the show skips over most of that after the first 2 or 3 episodes.

We don't even see them glued to the TV news or Radios before they lose power and phone service.

It just does a 9 day time jump to where they are now with the military morale and structure collapsing.

I'm still looking forward to next week's finale but I'm not sure what direction the show is heading towards.

At this point, it wouldn't bother me if they returned next season with a completely different cast and storyline

I agree.  If you want to do a zombie apocalypse in LA then you're going to need a big budget.  They probably didn't have this so the collapse happens off screen.  Kind of a bummer, eh?  I was reading one review where they complained that in the last 2 shows we have seen 1 zombie.  The rest is character drama.  We've seen this before.

OTOH, True Detective ran with an all new cast for its second season and from what I've read, it sucked.  Did you watch it?

I agree. If you want to do a zombie apocalypse in LA then you're going to need a big budget. They probably didn't have this so the collapse happens off screen. Kind of a bummer, eh? I was reading one review where they complained that in the last 2 shows we have seen 1 zombie. The rest is character drama. We've seen this before.

The original Walking Dead suffered from the same problems of having to create an Apocalyptic world on a tight budget. The original writer, Frank Darabont complained about the shows budget publicly before being canned.

Now that Breaking Bad and Mad Men are off the air, AMC appears to have finally freed up more money for TWD.

OTOH, True Detective ran with an all new cast for its second season and from what I've read, it sucked. Did you watch it?

I watched the first season of TD which was great but haven't been interested in watching the new season. I just personally don't care for Colin Farrell or Vince Vaughn.

The different cast each season thing worked for American Horror Story and I'm looking forward to the new cast on the show Fargo

Edited by soulflower

Good finale. Ended in way that suggests the writers weren't sure if there would be a Season 2. 

There's something about fictional human suffering that makes us feel a little better about the screwed up world we live in :)

Why do we (I know I do) like these shows about zombies and/or the breakdown of society?  I have always suspected it is a deep desire to see how we would fare without the rules and boundaries of polite society.  And maybe to shed the stress and pressure of work/family/saving/retirement/dept.  Few of us have the balls to chuck it all and go be homeless.  But in a post zombie world we have no choice.  

A commenter on another site discussing FTWD made a good point about why the Military struggled to maintain order and control the zombies. 

He said the problem for the military and police was that they had to fight both the Dead and living people who refused to comply with orders to leave their homes. This was alluded to on the show but not explained very well. 

Looking at it that way, it makes more sense how the inevitably government failed to successfully manage the crisis.  

Final thoughts on last night's episode:

- The characters Daniel, and Strand were extremely engaging and I'm interested in seeing where the story goes with those two. 

- The characters of Liza and Nick really grew on me. I'm still indifferent towards Travis, Madison, and the teens. 

- It was nice to see the show get back to LA on last night's episode. However, I don't think they will have the budget next season to do an entire season in LA. Maybe Strand's yacht will take them to another interesting location? We shall see.

Good finale. Ended in way that suggests the writers weren't sure if there would be a Season 2.

AMC committed two seasons when they announced it.

Highlights: Eliza death. I figured they'd keep her around as drama between Travis and Madison. I think Madison is becoming more of a compelling character even if there are huge plot holes around her.

Lowlight: shockingly unexpected, Nick! His dumb observation that he feels like people are catching up with him. Dude, you're a junkie. Nobody is catching up with you. They're being drugged down to a desperate situation by things beyond their control. That doesn't compare to being a junkie in the slightest.

As for the military, they seem far too ineffectual. In reality, I think they'd do better. In TWD, they have to serve as a plot device first and an effectual fighting force second. It is just one of those things you have to look past in TWD.

As for the boat, there are islands off the LA coast. I'm not sure how inhabited they are but an island, once you clear it, has its advantages.

Edited by SemiAuto

AMC committed two seasons when they announced it.

This is true but it's probably also true that when they limited the first season to Six episodes, they weren't sure about a Season 2.

My guess is, when they reviewed the finished product they felt it was worthy of a Season 2(even before they knew what kind of ratings the show would get).

Similar to Season 1 of TWD, the finale didn't end in a cliffhanger.

This is true but it's probably also true that when they limited the first season to Six episodes, they weren't sure about a Season 2.

My guess is, when they reviewed the finished product they felt it was worthy of a Season 2(even before they knew what kind of ratings the show would get).

Similar to Season 1 of TWD, the finale didn't end in a cliffhanger.

I'll agree. If the first season had flopped then I doubt the second season would still be on. Such is the fickle nature of the channel execs. Now... back to our original programming.

I'll agree. If the first season had flopped then I doubt the second season would still be on. Such is the fickle nature of the channel execs. Now... back to our original programming.

What is clear is that in 2016 on AMC, there will be zombie apocalypse shows on the air all year long.

AMC desperately needs another hit series it seems.

FX, which tends to go big for the budgets on their shows appears to be putting more quality Cable TV series on the air right now

As for AMC, that 'Into the Badlands' looks cheesy as hell. And Kung Fu Fridays on late night? Is this some sort of revival fad that I missed?

I haven't seen 'Hell on Wheels'. Do they have anything else going? A full year of zombie apocalypse could lead to viewer burnout.

we started watching it the other night on demand ......

interesting prequel premise, I watched 2 episode and couldn't get that into it  ....

wife is watching it though ......

did see Randy from the wire in it ......

that's 4  folks from the wire between this and the walking dead (randy, d'angelo, carver and randy)......

I guess if you want AA actors in your show the wire is a good place to start ......

Soon™.

The Flying Dead show is supposed to get wrapped up in FTWD. Just one thing. When Nick the junkie looked up at the plane there was razor wire in the foreground and I thought it was a scene from the quarantine zone. That might be a continuity problem as the plane would have been in the air for days.

Or maybe the wire was from the riots that got started pretty quickly.

Ugh. Not a good season premiere. Just a boring and okay episode.

I could tolerate the slow pacing and unlikable characters for six episodes. I don't know if I'll stick around for all fifteen episodes of season 2 of last night is an indicator of how it will be paced.

Definitely slow paced, and yeah, I find myself not liking many of the characters.  Travis though is slowly but surely become less of a p****y.  Strand is interesting...but the kids are highly annoying and extremely stupid. 

Episode 2 was a little better

It definitely showed that most of the characters are still the same people they were before the world ended. They haven't reached the stage of transition as most of the characters on the original Walking Dead.

I'm interested in finding out more about Strand's backstory and agenda

Did anyone laugh at the 'how to become zombie chow' moment from Alicia?

Another funny moment from the Talking Dead, something like, "Let's just look past the part where the children are being looked after by teenagers who just knocked back a whole bottle of wine."

Strand does seem to have the best story. He seems determined to take the boat somewhere.

Edited by SemiAuto

I'm thinking Strand isn't exactly an upstanding citizen ;)  Seems more likely that he's connected to the Mexican drug cartel.  Hence the 10 million dollar water taxi and automatic weapons.

The kids are still annoying the hell out of me, though at least the junkie is redeeming himself, slightly.

Seriously. It is the zombie apocalypse so let's put on the ear buds and go sign up for bird watching. Alicia's intelligence there was losing to a box of rocks.

I'm thinking Strand isn't exactly an upstanding citizen ;) Seems more likely that he's connected to the Mexican drug cartel. Hence the 10 million dollar water taxi and automatic weapons.

The kids are still annoying the hell out of me, though at least the junkie is redeeming himself, slightly.

Maybe I misheard the actress but on Talking Dead, I think she mentioned that they filmed in Mexico. That's interesting