99 replies to this topic

#21 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,951 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:20 AM

A solid episode for the most part. Things are starting to seriously fall apart.

Best highlight: the protest over shooting the homeless guy. I thought the homeless guy was going to turn and get up. That would have freaked the crowd out.
Worst lowlight: Madison and Tobias. You just killed a walker so it should be pretty clear to you that the crap has hit the fan. So what do you do with all the food your were going to steal? Leave it behind.

Most dramatic moment: begging to be let into the barber shop and some of the scenes afterwards. One of the best ways to keep suspense going is to keep the cause of it off screen.

And now we get a two week break. Labor Day weekend? Who knows. Really, do the beach go-ers not have access to a TV?

Edited by SemiAuto, 31 August 2015 - 10:23 AM.

#22 babylinux

babylinux

Much beloved member of SunSpot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,448 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:11 PM

I love it, other than too many teenagers running around  :)

#23 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,951 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:53 PM

I have to admit that there is one character I am getting to dislike.

#24 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,878 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:28 PM

A solid episode for the most part. Things are starting to seriously fall apart.

Best highlight: the protest over shooting the homeless guy. I thought the homeless guy was going to turn and get up. That would have freaked the crowd out.
Worst lowlight: Madison and Tobias. You just killed a walker so it should be pretty clear to you that the crap has hit the fan. So what do you do with all the food your were going to steal? Leave it behind.

Most dramatic moment: begging to be let into the barber shop and some of the scenes afterwards. One of the best ways to keep suspense going is to keep the cause of it off screen.

And now we get a two week break. Labor Day weekend? Who knows. Really, do the beach go-ers not have access to a TV?

I noticed they left the food behind too.

Some of the decisions so far in the editing of the show give me the impression that it might've been done too hastily.

I do expect the sheet to hit the fan in the next episode based on this clip:
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#25 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,878 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:30 PM

I have to admit that there is one character I am getting to dislike.

Madison? (The mom/guidance counselor)

I was disappointed in how she did nothing to help her neighbor who was getting attacked by her husband who had turned.

#26 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,951 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:34 AM

Madison? (The mom/guidance counselor)

I was disappointed in how she did nothing to help her neighbor who was getting attacked by her husband who had turned.

What was she supposed to do? I think she's figured out that the walkers are very dangerous and hard to stop based on her two encounters with them so far. But no, the one I'm really getting to dislike is Nick the junkie son.
Send your mom out the score for you.
Have your sister clean up your withdraw puke.
Whine anyway.

Zombies... ATTACK!!!!

#27 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,878 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:07 AM

What was she supposed to do? I think she's figured out that the walkers are very dangerous and hard to stop based on her two encounters with them so far. But no, the one I'm really getting to dislike is Nick the junkie son.
Send your mom out the score for you.
Have your sister clean up your withdraw puke.
Whine anyway.

Zombies... ATTACK!!!!

The daughter isn't very likable as well.

I think the only characters I may like are Travis and the Barber guy played by Reuben Blades

#28 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,951 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:18 AM

The daughter isn't very likable as well.

I think the only characters I may like are Travis and the Barber guy played by Reuben Blades

She is a bit bratty but then who wouldn't be when cleaning up puke. She seems to be the character with the most to lose. She already lost her boyfriend. She is supposed to be the 'smart' kid in the family yet with the world going to hell she stands to lose that too. I'm guessing she'll be the big tragic figure in all this.

Travis seems a little wooden to me. That whole 'let's go to the shooting gallery in the middle of the night' thing jumped the shark a bit. If it were my kid in the hospital, knowing for sure he wasn't in the shooting gallery, I would have told the cops about the place in hopes that they would go in and bust it up.

I haven't seen enough of the barber to make a call on him. He helped out Travis and family by letting them in. If he turns out to be the moral compass character then he stands about as much of a chance of surviving as a red shirt on Star Trek.

#29 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:26 PM

Good so far.

#30 com6063

com6063

Working out my salvation in fear and trembling.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,900 posts
  • LocationDark side of a bog

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:53 AM

Looking forward to tomorrow night's episode! 

"Pray, hope, and don't worry." — St. Padre Pio of Pietrelcina

#31 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,878 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:35 AM

Episode 3 is the best so far. I really like the Barber character played by Reuben Blades. He gets it. The rest of the characters have awful instincts.

Edited by soulflower, 14 September 2015 - 08:35 AM.

#32 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,951 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:42 AM

Agree that it was a solid episode.

Best Highlight: Daniel pointing out that it was Travis who started keeping score. He seems to be the only one to understand how bad it can get. Anecdote: when I was in high school I worked in restaurant where some immigrants from El Salvador worked. They would sometimes tell me stories about how bad things could be back home. Daniel talks about El Salvador so I'm thinking, based on his age, he could be from that time period and has seen something similar.
Worst Lowlight: Nick the junkie complaining that the oxy was given to Griselda for her injured foot. I'm really getting to hate this character. He is up for 'jackazz of the year' award. Zombies ATTACK!!!!! Runner up was him saying that he was the 'expert'. Being an 'expert' at being a junkie is nothing to brag about. They need to get Leroy Jethro Gibbs on the show just to headslap Nick.

Edited by SemiAuto, 14 September 2015 - 10:17 AM.

#33 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,951 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:48 AM

Oh, one more thing. Travis telling Madison that he would never leave her again. I laughed while thinking, "How many times did Rick make that promise to Laurie only to constantly run off?"

#34 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,878 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:08 PM

Agree that it was a solid episode.

Best Highlight: Daniel pointing out that it was Travis who started keeping score. He seems to be the only one to understand how bad it can get. Anecdote: when I was in high school I worked in restaurant where some immigrants from El Salvador worked. They would sometimes tell me stories about how bad things could be back home. Daniel talks about El Salvador so I'm thinking, based on his age, he could be from that time period and has seen something similar.
Worst Lowlight: Nick the junkie complaining that the oxy was given to Griselda for her injured foot. I'm really getting to hate this character. He is up for 'jackazz of the year' award. Zombies ATTACK!!!!! Runner up was him saying that he was the 'expert'. Being an 'expert' at being a junkie is nothing to brag about. They need to get Leroy Jethro Gibbs on the show just to headslap Nick.

Great analysis Semi.

Daniel made blowing that gu'a head off look way too easy and he seems pretty knowledgeable about guns. There most likely is an interesting backstory for him.

What annoys me about Nick is the fact that he never seems to change his clothes. Does he not have any clothes at his Mom's place?

Edited by soulflower, 14 September 2015 - 01:20 PM.

#35 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,951 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:02 PM

If Daniel was in El Salvador during the 1980's then it would be quite believable that he saw or participated in some nasty stuff (he appears to be the right age). That is the exact sort of back story that would make it easy to kill someone assuming he doesn't know anything more about the epidemic than anyone else.

Or he could be the old trope of 'shoot first and ask questions later' which would be sad.

Edited by SemiAuto, 14 September 2015 - 03:06 PM.

#36 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,878 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:43 AM

A little disappointed with the pacing(and frequent commercial breaks) of last night's episode. With only two episodes left, I expected the story to move a little faster.

AMC has already committed to a Season 2 for the Walking Dead spinoff. If this is how slow the story moves for a 6 episode season, I'm not sure if I'm going to stay interested for 15 more episodes.

#37 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,951 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:36 AM

I thought it was pretty good episode.

Best Highlight: Nick finally getting the beat down that he deserved. That it came from his mom was bit shocking and cynically funny.
Worst Lowlight: Madison. You realize things are bad enough that you gave your own son a beat down over being an irresponsible junkie. So when you find a gun lying in the middle of the street what do you do? Leave it there. I know that we, as watchers, know how bad it is going to get but one would think that Madison had figured it out by now. I know, I know... what is she going to do against a platoon of soldiers? Nothing. But you'd still rather have it.

As for the commercial breaks, I wasn't timing it but I did notice that the first break didn't come for a while. It seemed like 25 minutes in. Then they came fast. So maybe they backloaded the commercials. If so, they should really reconsider this.

Also, it looks like Daniel has seen the sort of disappearing acts before and he knows how they turned out.

#38 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,878 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:17 AM

I thought it was pretty good episode.

Best Highlight: Nick finally getting the beat down that he deserved. That it came from his mom was bit shocking and cynically funny.
Worst Lowlight: Madison. You realize things are bad enough that you gave your own son a beat down over being an irresponsible junkie. So when you find a gun lying in the middle of the street what do you do? Leave it there. I know that we, as watchers, know how bad it is going to get but one would think that Madison had figured it out by now. I know, I know... what is she going to do against a platoon of soldiers? Nothing. But you'd still rather have it.

As for the commercial breaks, I wasn't timing it but I did notice that the first break didn't come for a while. It seemed like 25 minutes in. Then they came fast. So maybe they backloaded the commercials. If so, they should really reconsider this.

Also, it looks like Daniel has seen the sort of disappearing acts before and he knows how they turned out.

Another good summary.

It wasn't a bad episode but it's hard to stay interested when there are so few likable characters and so little action.

It's also interesting how quickly the military is descending towards being the villains. It looks like they are clearing areas by indiscriminately killing both the infected and uninfected.

It will be interesting to see how the likely massacre of living people affects Travis...

#39 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,951 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:31 AM

I agree about Travis. Does anybody think the flashing lights in the house outside the perimeter at the end of the show was something other than the military clearing the place?
The flashback episode of Shane going back for Rick in TWD had the military indiscriminately killing people. On of the regular themes is that when things go bad, they go bad quick. Maybe this episode was the calm before the storm. A sort of holding out hope that the military will keep things together only to fail or become part of the problem.

If the soldiers have figured out that getting bit is a death sentence then how much does that lend to a 'shoot first, ask questions later' mentality? Maybe it is that 'Shane's do what it takes' versus 'Rick's try to be reasonable' thing again. I think we agree that Rick figured out that Shane was right. The zombie apocalypse brings out the worst in people.

#40 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,878 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:42 AM

The police and government clearly know more about the outbreak than everyone else and are applying extreme measures to try to contain it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users