99 replies to this topic

#41 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,263 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:48 AM

The police and government clearly know more about the outbreak than everyone else and are applying extreme measures to try to contain it

Or the police and government don't know and therefore are applying extreme measures to try to contain it. The CDC episodes from TWD implied they didn't know but that was months after things had already swirled down the crapper.

#42 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,417 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:55 AM

Or the police and government don't know and therefore are applying extreme measures to try to contain it. The CDC episodes from TWD implied they didn't know but that was months after things had already swirled down the crapper.

In the scene where there was a fresh grave for Travis' neighbor in his backyard, the one soldier seemed to know that people who recently died come back from the dead even if they weren't bitten.

I don't think Rick figured that out til the end of season 2 when he killed Shane
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#43 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,263 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:41 PM

In the scene where there was a fresh grave for Travis' neighbor in his backyard, the one soldier seemed to know that people who recently died come back from the dead even if they weren't bitten.

I don't think Rick figured that out til the end of season 2 when he killed Shane

At the end of the first season the CDC guy told Rick that everyone has it. IIRC, he kept that to himself until just after the farm got overrun.

My guess is that the soldiers have at least figured it out that dead are turning. We've seen it happen fairly quickly. Even on the slower cases, how many times do the body bags have to start wiggling before somebody goes, "Oh shxt!"

#44 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,417 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 02:03 PM

At the end of the first season the CDC guy told Rick that everyone has it. IIRC, he kept that to himself until just after the farm got overrun.

My guess is that the soldiers have at least figured it out that dead are turning. We've seen it happen fairly quickly. Even on the slower cases, how many times do the body bags have to start wiggling before somebody goes, "Oh shxt!"

You figure hosptitals, first responders, and the military would be the first to know about the Dead rising from the Dead...

#45 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,263 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:58 AM

It looks like they're building up to big end or a cliff-hanger.  

Best Highlight:  Daniel explaining that he was one of the guys who made people disappear.  He is turning out to be quite the psycho and Madison is like, "Okay, did you get what you needed from him?"  Travis' ex had better watch out.

Worst Lowlight:  The soldiers playing with Travis over the sniper rifle.  I don't know if they were having fun at his expense or if they were trying to teach him a lesson but Travis, a word about high powered rifles:  if you snuggle up that close to them and pull the trigger, you're gonna get butt slapped.  Still, this is one of the consistent problems I have with all of the Walking Dead.  You're in the middle of a zombie apocalypse and people are being drama queens.  I know it makes for better TV but at times it is too contrived.

Clearly the military and the hospital have a clue as to what is going on.  The soldiers and the doc know you need a head shot.  Morale in the military is hitting rock bottom.

Edited by SemiAuto, 28 September 2015 - 09:02 AM.

#46 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,417 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:34 AM

I thought last night's episode was really good. Very well paced and the introduction of the new character "Strand" was done well.

I think the soldiers get that civilization is quickly falling apart. They were trying to show Travis, who basically has little idea of what is going on outside the fence, what they're up against.

Travis, like Hershel in Season 2 of TWD, is civilized and not yet accepting that civilization is eroding and the infected can't be saved.

The military seems in over their heads and morale is collapsing.

Daniel remains my favorite character. It's interesting how quickly he's adapting to the new reality.

#47 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,263 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:49 PM

Maybe Daniel is adapting the fastest because he has the least to change. He has apparently done very bad things before. Meanwhile, Travis, Mr. GoodyTwoShoes, is in denial. Maybe his latest trip outside the quarantine will change him. OTOH, look how long Rick held out to fact that Shane was right.

#48 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,468 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:27 PM

Travis does remind me a bit of Herschel, and even Rick to a degree early in TWD.  He's a goodtwoshoes anti-violence anti-gun guy, who is about to have his belief system turned upside down completely.

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#49 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,417 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:57 PM

Travis does remind me a bit of Herschel, and even Rick to a degree early in TWD. He's a goodtwoshoes anti-violence anti-gun guy, who is about to have his belief system turned upside down completely.

I actually think having Travis and Daniel at opposite ends of the spectrum makes for a great contrast

But as we've learned over the years from TWD, the Moral characters don't live very long. Travis will need to adapt fast or die...

Edited by soulflower, 28 September 2015 - 04:02 PM.

#50 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,263 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 09:17 AM

I actually think having Travis and Daniel at opposite ends of the spectrum makes for a great contrast

But as we've learned over the years from TWD, the Moral characters don't live very long. Travis will need to adapt fast or die...

Having Travis and Daniel at opposite ends just recreates the Rick vs Shane drama from TWD.

Time for the season finale death watch. Just because I don't like him, I'm picking Nick.

#51 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,417 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:14 AM

There's a season 2 so I assume some main characters will survive.

But I don't mind them killing all the characters off except Daniel

It seems clear now that this show was rushed and produced on a low budget.

That's forgivable for a new TV show but if they're going to do a 15 episode season next year, they really need to overhaul the writing and editing.

Edited by soulflower, 29 September 2015 - 10:18 AM.

#52 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,263 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:24 AM

There's a season 2 so I assume some main characters will survive.

But I don't mind them killing all the characters off except Daniel

It seems clear now that this show was rushed and produced on a low budget.

That's forgivable for a new TV show but if they're going to do a 15 episode season next year, they really need to overhaul the writing and editing.

Have you noticed how much of a joke the quarantine thing seems to be? The soldiers take Travis out and the squad doesn't return but Travis does. We just see him waltz back into his living room. Did not one soldier stop him to ask where the rest were? Madison did essentially the same thing when she sneaked out on her own. She just magically ends up back at the house. So I agree the writing/editing needs help. Some of these huge gaps are getting harder and harder to ignore.

#53 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,417 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:33 AM

Have you noticed how much of a joke the quarantine thing seems to be? The soldiers take Travis out and the squad doesn't return but Travis does. We just see him waltz back into his living room. Did not one soldier stop him to ask where the rest were? Madison did essentially the same thing when she sneaked out on her own. She just magically ends up back at the house. So I agree the writing/editing needs help. Some of these huge gaps are getting harder and harder to ignore.

I think they wanted to tell a story of how the outbreak of Zombies got out of control and the government fell apart but didn't get the budget or the number of episodes needed to tell a more detailed story.

So it more or less is becoming the same story as the original Walking Dead but with different characters.

#54 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,263 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:35 AM

I think they wanted to tell a story of how the outbreak of Zombies got out of control and the government fell apart but didn't get the budget or the number of episodes needed to tell a more detailed story.

So it more or less is becoming the same story as the original Walking Dead but with different characters.

That would be sad if that is what happens.

I'm hoping most of this is just short, first season, problems so I'll give it more time. Otherwise, it wouldn't be the first spinoff to fall flat.

#55 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,417 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:54 AM

That would be sad if that is what happens.

I'm hoping most of this is just short, first season, problems so I'll give it more time. Otherwise, it wouldn't be the first spinoff to fall flat.

It started off with the helicopters flying around LA and the kids staying home from school with what they thought was the Flu. So from there I thought we'd see a more gradual collapse of law and order and civilization. But the show skips over most of that after the first 2 or 3 episodes.

We don't even see them glued to the TV news or Radios before they lose power and phone service.

It just does a 9 day time jump to where they are now with the military morale and structure collapsing.

I'm still looking forward to next week's finale but I'm not sure what direction the show is heading towards.

At this point, it wouldn't bother me if they returned next season with a completely different cast and storyline

#56 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,263 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:55 AM

I agree.  If you want to do a zombie apocalypse in LA then you're going to need a big budget.  They probably didn't have this so the collapse happens off screen.  Kind of a bummer, eh?  I was reading one review where they complained that in the last 2 shows we have seen 1 zombie.  The rest is character drama.  We've seen this before.

OTOH, True Detective ran with an all new cast for its second season and from what I've read, it sucked.  Did you watch it?

#57 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,417 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:13 PM

I agree. If you want to do a zombie apocalypse in LA then you're going to need a big budget. They probably didn't have this so the collapse happens off screen. Kind of a bummer, eh? I was reading one review where they complained that in the last 2 shows we have seen 1 zombie. The rest is character drama. We've seen this before.

The original Walking Dead suffered from the same problems of having to create an Apocalyptic world on a tight budget. The original writer, Frank Darabont complained about the shows budget publicly before being canned.

Now that Breaking Bad and Mad Men are off the air, AMC appears to have finally freed up more money for TWD.

OTOH, True Detective ran with an all new cast for its second season and from what I've read, it sucked. Did you watch it?

I watched the first season of TD which was great but haven't been interested in watching the new season. I just personally don't care for Colin Farrell or Vince Vaughn.

The different cast each season thing worked for American Horror Story and I'm looking forward to the new cast on the show Fargo

Edited by soulflower, 29 September 2015 - 01:14 PM.

#58 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,417 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:39 PM

Good finale. Ended in way that suggests the writers weren't sure if there would be a Season 2. 

#59 Bawlmerian

Bawlmerian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:21 PM

There's something about fictional human suffering that makes us feel a little better about the screwed up world we live in :)

Why do we (I know I do) like these shows about zombies and/or the breakdown of society?  I have always suspected it is a deep desire to see how we would fare without the rules and boundaries of polite society.  And maybe to shed the stress and pressure of work/family/saving/retirement/dept.  Few of us have the balls to chuck it all and go be homeless.  But in a post zombie world we have no choice.  

A warm sunspot Spring welcome to all of our new O'Malley sycophant posters. I guess the re-election campaign has begun. :)

#60 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,417 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:03 AM

A commenter on another site discussing FTWD made a good point about why the Military struggled to maintain order and control the zombies. 

He said the problem for the military and police was that they had to fight both the Dead and living people who refused to comply with orders to leave their homes. This was alluded to on the show but not explained very well. 

Looking at it that way, it makes more sense how the inevitably government failed to successfully manage the crisis.  

Final thoughts on last night's episode:

- The characters Daniel, and Strand were extremely engaging and I'm interested in seeing where the story goes with those two. 

- The characters of Liza and Nick really grew on me. I'm still indifferent towards Travis, Madison, and the teens. 

- It was nice to see the show get back to LA on last night's episode. However, I don't think they will have the budget next season to do an entire season in LA. Maybe Strand's yacht will take them to another interesting location? We shall see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users