Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Underseige

Give Us Your Greatest QB's Of All Time

37 posts in this topic

Mind You this is my picks what are yours

John Unitas, Joe Montana,Otto Grahm,JOHN Elway,Peyton Manning,Bret Farve, Tom Brady,Roger Staubach, Bart Star,Fran Tarkenton,Sid Luckham,Ken Stabler,AaroN Rogers,YA Title,Norm Van Brocklin,Sonny Jurgensen,Bob Griese,Dan Fouts, Dan Marino,Troy Aikman,Roman Gabriel,Jim Kelly,Terry Bradshaw,Steve Young,Len Dawson,Kurt Warner,Milt Plum,John Brodie,Warren Moon,RanDALL Cunningham,Joe Namath,Drew Breese,Daryl Lamonica,

I came up with 33 , How many can you come up with.

I'd add Slingin Sammy Baugh to that list, and maybe take away Joe Namath. And it might be a bit too early but I think you have to add Big Ben to the list as well.

That's a pretty large list. I'm not sure I would rate all those as "greatest." Namath is overrated, but he did win the big one. Don't see Cunningham as being in the "legendary" status, and TBH there are several in there I've never heard of. Maybe they were before my time. Just to show what time that would be, when I was a kid one of my first favorite players was John Brodie. One of my personal all-time favorites was Roger Staubach (I hate the Cowboys but have always been a Navy fan). I also dug Sonny Jurgenson because the guy was so totally unathletic but man could he throw.

and TBH there are several in there I've never heard of.

Ok, aside from Milt Plum :confused:  I'm curious of the others you have never heard of.  :D

anyhoo..  Montana, Brady, Peyton

umm..  Vince Ferragamo, Ken Stabler :D

No Oldfan love for Kyle Boller??? :confused:

Believe it or not (and since this list is so long already), I'd add Phil Simms. His lifetime stats aren't eye catching, but for a certain period, he always seemed to find a way to win games. IIRC he had one amazing Super Bowl, and a fair number of playoff wins.

Edited by Struds

Ok, aside from Milt Plum :confused:  I'm curious of the others you have never heard of.  :D

anyhoo..  Montana, Brady, Peyton

umm..  Vince Ferragamo, Ken Stabler :D

I guess Sid Luckham is the only other one I have never heard of. There are others who's names ring a bell as being QBs but who I have no idea where they played or what they're known for. And yes, I would certainly include Sammy Baugh and Big Ben in the list as OCF suggests.

I can't comment much on anyone prior to the 1960's, and even the 60's are not firsthand knowledge but...by the decade of their peak(since some span multiple decades)...and in order

60's:  John Unitas, Bart Star, Len Dawson, Darryl Lamonica, Roman Gabriel

70's:  Roger Staubach, Fran Tarkenton, Ken Stabler, Bert Jones, Terry Bradshaw

80's:  Joe Montana, John Elway, Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, Warren Moon

90's:  Brett Favre, Steve Young, Jim kelly, Troy Aikman, Kurt Warner

00's:  Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Tony Romo

10's:  Aaron Rodgers, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Andrew Luck

I'm not feelin the love for Romo. And I wouldn't put Joe on that list quite yet.

I'm not feelin the love for Romo. And I wouldn't put Joe on that list quite yet.

I agree with you. I also wouldn't put Phillip Rivers there. He's a good quarterback but hasn't done anything IMO to warrant a "best of all time" quarterback. And also IMO Bert Jones would have made the list had he remained healthy. He had a few decent years, including earning an MVP one year. Also, Kenny Anderson should maybe be on the list as well.

Edited by NCBirdfan

I agree with you. I also wouldn't put Phillip Rivers there. He's a good quarterback but hasn't done anything IMO to warrant a "best of all time" quarterback. And also IMO Bert Jones would have made the list had he remained healthy. He had a few decent years, including earning an MVP one year. Also, Kenny Anderson should maybe be on the list as well.

I didn't see Rivers' name, but I agree -- he doesn't deserve to be on the list. And I also would not include Luck at this point either.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

1.  Unitas

2.  Brady

2.  Montana

3.  Pre-season/Regular season/ and in garbage time Peyton Manning

Believe it or not (and since this list is so long already), I'd add Phil Simms. His lifetime stats aren't eye catching, but for a certain period, he always seemed to find a way to win games. IIRC he had one amazing Super Bowl, and a fair number of playoff wins.

So many years of horrible announcing cancel out any on field achievements.

Of course growing up here in the 50's as I did, Johnny U sat at the Right Hand of the Father. Later on, a couple of my Favs were Jim Hart with the Cardinals, Richard Todd with the Jets, Phil Simms with the Giants 'cause I worked & lived up there for a few years then. Bert Jones was OK but I don't think he ever really reached the Iop. Liked Boomer 'cause he had been a Terp and before that Kenny Anderson w/ the Bengals, Never cared for Staubach, the Cowboys may have been America's Team but they were Never mine. Kind if a Theismann fan but couldn't get into the 'Skins even though I tried after the Colts left town. Just not as big of a Sports fan anymore now at my age. Ravens are OK but the Fire isn't there for me anymore that I grew up with for the Colts. I read sometime long ago someone said "It's pretty hard to idolize anyone Younger than you are."

Edited by Bartman

Joe Namath? He might be the 133rd best QB of all time.

The one name not mentioned above which I would consider adding to the list is Philip Rivers. One tough, not always pretty, not always popular, competitive SOB whose stats are eerily identical to that of Roethlisberger, save of course for the end of season hardware. I also like the fact that Rivers has a very unconventional throwing motion which I'm sure coaches have tried to "correct" for years. Whatever works works for me.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/5536/ben-roethlisberger

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/5529/philip-rivers

Oops, I see that Alienrace included Rivers on his list. Brilliant minds think alike... :)

Edited by Bowie-Bruce

Joe Namath? He might be the 133rd best QB of all time.

The one name not mentioned above which I would consider adding to the list is Philip Rivers. One tough, not always pretty, not always popular, competitive SOB whose stats are eerily identical to that of Roethlisberger, save of course for the end of season hardware. I also like the fact that Rivers has a very unconventional throwing motion which I'm sure coaches have tried to "correct" for years. Whatever works works for me.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/5536/ben-roethlisberger

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/5529/philip-rivers

Oops, I see that Alienrace included Rivers on his list. Brilliant minds think alike... :)

He does have an odd throw.  It's like half a shotput throw and yet it goes sailing down the field.

I'm inclined to not yet include quarterbacks who are still currently active. There will be plenty of time to put the careers of guys such as Manning and Brady in the proper context once they're done playing. Nos. 1 and 2 are easily interchangeable.

1. Joe Montana

2. Johnny Unitas

3. Dan Marino

4. John Elway

5. Brett Favre

6. Otto Graham

7. Sammy Baugh

8. Roger Staubach

9. Steve Young

10. Bart Starr

Honorable Mention

Sid Luckman

Y.A. Tittle

Fran Tarkenton

Terry Bradshaw

Dan Fouts

Warren Moon

Jim Kelly

Norm Van Brocklin

Warren Moon

Kenny Anderson

I'd add Slingin Sammy Baugh to that list, and maybe take away Joe Namath. And it might be a bit too early but I think you have to add Big Ben to the list as well.

Namath made his career off of one game, although, in fairness, he had the knees of a 90-year-old before he was even 25. There's no question he could throw.

Sammy Baugh should be on anyone's top 10. No one will ever again lead the league in passing, punting and interceptions as Slingin' Sammy did in 1943.

Edited by mdrunning

The quarterback you misspelled and nobody picked up on was not Sid Luckham but Sid Luckman who played for the Chicago bears in the 40's and early 50's. He was one tough son-of-a-b-a- b%$#h.  He had an arm like a cannon and nerves of steel. I believe he was the QB the beat the Washington redskins 63-0 for the championship.

I didn't see anyone mention Benny Friedman. Arguably the first great passer in professional football. In 1929, while playing for the Giants, Friedman threw for an unheard-of 20 touchdown passes. The passing game of that time bore little resemblance to today's game. The ball itself was rounder and more difficult to throw, more like a rugby ball than modern football. And per the rules of the time, a passer had to be at least five yards behind the line of scrimmage, an incompletion in the end zone was a turnover, and two consecutive incompletions resulted in a penalty. Pretty draconian, to say the least.

The quarterback you misspelled and nobody picked up on was not Sid Luckham but Sid Luckman who played for the Chicago bears in the 40's and early 50's. He was one tough son-of-a-b-a- b%$#h.  He had an arm like a cannon and nerves of steel. I believe he was the QB the beat the Washington redskins 63-0 for the championship.

It was actually 73-0. Luckman was instrumental in bringing pro football out of the Dark Ages with his mastery of the T-formation.

Where are Sammy Baugh, Sid Lockman or the greatest of all. Jim Thorpe. Thorpe may have been the greatest in all backfield positions. The offense they ran had him plaing every backfield position and wr position. Not only this but he was also a great kicker as well.

Good point. I withdraw my nomination.  :)

Fouts is catching up, but he doesn't get nearly the air time that Simms does.OTOH, he's even worse than Simms. (Of course no one was as annoying as Dierdorf, but that's a horse of another color.)

Fouts is catching up, but he doesn't get nearly the air time that Simms does.OTOH, he's even worse than Simms. (Of course no one was as annoying as Dierdorf, but that's a horse of another color.)

Fouts is pretty bad.  What is it with CBS?