Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slidemaster

WBM (Wins Below Miller)

447 posts in this topic

Someone coined this term in the first game of the Yankees series, and I think it's an interesting statistic to attempt to keep track of.  I'm going to use this thread to keep track of the games in which the O's would have had a significantly better chance to win (or not lose) had they resigned Andrew Miller.

So far:

4/13 - Yankees 6, Orioles 5.  The situation:  Lefty Stephen Drew hits a pinch-hit GS off of Tommy Hunter to win the game.

4/24 - Red Sox 7, Orioles 5.  The situation:  Lefty Brock Holt hits a pinch hit 3 run homer off of Brian Matusz to win the game.

2 games out of a 162 game season. That's worth $9M PER  :rolleyes:

whats it worth to make the post season by 2 games or be out of the post season by 2 games?

If the O' s miss the playoffs by 2 games you'd be happy because 9 million is too much to pay for that? Are you in Peter's will?

whats it worth to make the post season by 2 games or be out of the post season by 2 games?

If the O' s miss the playoffs by 2 games you'd be happy because 9 million is too much to pay for that? Are you in Peter's will?

What he fails to realize is that it isn't 2 games out or 162.  It's 2 games out of 17 so far.  At this rate, it'll be 19 games for the season.

Edited by Slidemaster

Orioles look bad right now

Hopefully they'll turn it around

You're right . The O's only made the post season last year by 2 games. Oh wait...... never mind

You're right . The O's only made the post season last year by 2 games. Oh wait...... never mind

lather rinse and repeat. It is so easy the 0's win a WS every 30 years or so

Honestly the way the starting pitching is going this team would be playing badly without Miller.

Someone coined this term in the first game of the Yankees series, and I think it's an interesting statistic to attempt to keep track of.  I'm going to use this thread to keep track of the games in which the O's would have had a significantly better chance to win (or not lose) had they resigned Andrew Miller.

So far:

4/13 - Yankees 6, Orioles 5.  The situation:  Lefty Stephen Drew hits a pinch-hit GS off of Tommy Hunter to win the game.

4/24 - Red Sox 7, Orioles 5.  The situation:  Lefty Brock Holt hits a pinch hit 3 run homer off of Brian Matusz to win the game.

Oh please. This has to be one of the most stupid threads you started. Get over your Miller crush. Unless he throws 300+ innings this year, he is a non-factor.

SIDE NOTE: I do see that you are consistent and are starting new threads while the Orioles are down and having a 5-game losing streak. I bet you couldn't wait to take a jab at them.

SIDE NOTE: I do see that you are consistent and are starting new threads while the Orioles are down and having a 5-game losing streak. I bet you couldn't wait to take a jab at them.

Back to business as usual. I wonder if we'll get another "Can we stop pretending this is a good team yet" thread :D  :D :D  

So far:

The 4/24 game was lost because of defensive errors In particular, Manny extended that inning. If he makes that routine play, that inning is over, and that HR doesn't happen. Davis hits the 9th inning HR, and the game is a W.

Plus, come on...It's Matusz. He shouldn't be pitching for a contending team.

I'm still not sold on the Yankees ending the season in First place like they are now.

But Miller has been great and our bullpen has been great but not as great as our starting pitching...

Edited by soulflower

The 4/24 game was lost because of defensive errors In particular, Manny extended that inning. If he makes that routine play, that inning is over, and that HR doesn't happen. Davis hits the 9th inning HR, and the game is a W.

Plus, come on...It's Matusz. He shouldn't be pitching for a contending team.

He hasn't proven he can pitch to right-handed batters. He is effective against left-handers. But I do get your point. He doesn't seem to have that intimidation factor on the mound.

I'm still not sold on the Yankees ending the season in First place like they are now.

But Miller has been great and our bullpen has been great but not as great as our starting pitching...

The question is, can the Yankees continue this throughout the season. With aging players one would think not, but you never know. They may go all season without any major injury or slumps.

As for the Orioles, what a lot of people seem to be ignoring is that the team has had an epidemic of injuries. Combine that with some poor defense (which is the exact opposite of last year) and pitching (although I see that coming around soon), it spells doom for the Orioles in the early going. If everyone gets healthy at some point, the Orioles should be a highly competitive team. But it could also be that this is the year of the injury and the Orioles will never recover. With less than 20 games played in the season, no one can answer these questions about the Orioles or the Yankees with certainty.

Hard to believe that Matusz was considered a great pitcher at one time. What happened?

Hard to believe that Matusz was considered a great pitcher at one time. What happened?

Reality hit

Edited by bmore_ken

Reality hit

When I coached, what I looked in pitchers was confidence and determination. I have not seen that with Matusz. I don't know his mind, but it seems that his approach is nonchalant and carefree. His stats look OK but it doesn't show the true picture.

The question is, can the Yankees continue this throughout the season. With aging players one would think not, but you never know. They may go all season without any major injury or slumps.

As for the Orioles, what a lot of people seem to be ignoring is that the team has had an epidemic of injuries. Combine that with some poor defense (which is the exact opposite of last year) and pitching (although I see that coming around soon), it spells doom for the Orioles in the early going. If everyone gets healthy at some point, the Orioles should be a highly competitive team. But it could also be that this is the year of the injury and the Orioles will never recover. With less than 20 games played in the season, no one can answer these questions about the Orioles or the Yankees with certainty.

Injuries are a factor, but only Hardy is a proven contributer.

But if you think starting pitching is a strength of this team you are not being honest with yourself. This is a weak rotation, and they are in their prime. Only tTillman will be younger than 30 by the end of the year. Gonzalez, Jimenez and Norris are bottom rotation guys and you would not want to start any of them in games 3 of a playoff. Chen and Tilman are nice but not aces or scary. LF has been a problem since Surhoff? This is a DH? A career bench player.

What was the plan for LF,RF,DH,1B,

Injuries are a factor, but only Hardy is a proven contributer.

But if you think starting pitching is a strength of this team you are not being honest with yourself. This is a weak rotation, and they are in their prime. Only tTillman will be younger than 30 by the end of the year. Gonzalez, Jimenez and Norris are bottom rotation guys and you would not want to start any of them in games 3 of a playoff. Chen and Tilman are nice but not aces or scary. LF has been a problem since Surhoff? This is a DH? A career bench player.

What was the plan for LF,RF,DH,1B,

Everybody's entitled to their opinions. And you definitely are entitled to yours.

I like this thread and think its actually valuable in analyzing the impact of a lost player can have on a team, and also exposes a specific weakness of the current team. Could also probably do one with Cruz but that may be a little more difficult to track. Although I'd say had the O's resigned both Miller and Cruz, at the VERY least I'd say they'd have four more wins and four less losses equalling an 8 game swing in record.

Also- just to clarify the Holt HR last night was hit off O'Day, which makes it almost worse. Why Does Showalter continually leave O'day in to pitch to lefties?? I guess b/c they have no effective lefties in the bullpen but leaving O'day in makes absolutely no sense, everybody knew a big hit was coming in that situation. 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

Gonzalez, Jimenez and Norris are bottom rotation guys and you would not want to start any of them in games 3 of a playoff

Gonzo has a post season ERA of 1.42 and a WHIP of 1.026, What idiot would ever send him to the mound in the playoffs. 

You yankee trolls are silly.

I like this thread and think its actually valuable in analyzing the impact of a lost player can have on a team, and also exposes a specific weakness of the current team. 

I agree. If slide wants to commit to keeping track of this, it will be interesting to see what the results are. But it's worth noting that games are rarely won/lost at the hands of one player. It's usually not that cut and dried. Last night is a perfect example. If his approach is to point out every time the BP gives up a lead, and add it to his list, then it's going to be an inaccurate stat. 

For example, Miller wouldn't have pitched last night, because he would have been used in the 2 previous games, to make up for short outing by the starter. 

This isn't going to be as easy as he thinks it will be.