Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slidemaster

WBM (Wins Below Miller)

447 posts in this topic

Miller was a good move.  Too bad they didn't keep him like they should have.

De Aza?  Really?  He's a 30 something year old journeyman.  If he's the guy you're pointing to to illustrate how the committed the O's are to winning, all you're doing is proving my point.  Teams that are 4 games from the World Series don't respond by letting their number 1 and 4 hitter walk out the door along with their best pitcher, and then sign replacement level players and hope for the best if they actually care about winning it all.

That's because Angelos has no interest in winning it all.  He only cares about sucking as much revenue from the fans as possible while doing just enough to stay moderately competitive. He lets Cruz and Markakis go and gets Snider while bringing back castoffs like Reimold who still couldn't make the team.  He occasionally accidentally gets a winner like last year and then gut punches the fans by dismantling the heart of the team.  When the fans complain about the gut punch, he pokes them in the eye. He's among the worst of the worst of sports owners.  I was going to say that at least we can take comfort that when the Orioles lose, Angelos loses but that's not true.  He rakes it in anyway and that's all he cares about.  This team will never win another championship as long as Angelos or his kids or his kid's kids own the team.  

That's because Angelos has no interest in winning it all.  He only cares about sucking as much revenue from the fans as possible while doing just enough to stay moderately competitive. He lets Cruz and Markakis go and gets Snider while bringing back castoffs like Reimold who still couldn't make the team.  He occasionally accidentally gets a winner like last year and then gut punches the fans by dismantling the heart of the team.  When the fans complain about the gut punch, he pokes them in the eye. He's among the worst of the worst of sports owners.  I was going to say that at least we can take comfort that when the Orioles lose, Angelos loses but that's not true.  He rakes it in anyway and that's all he cares about.  This team will never win another championship as long as Angelos or his kids or his kid's kids own the team.  

They been in the playoffs two of the past three years. 

JJ Hardy, Machado, Davis, Jones, and Weiters are all perennial all stars.

The bed wetters are out in force today.

Edited by JoyinMudville

They've actually been out for awhile.

So let me get this straight...

You think it's a winning move to let Cruz and Markakis go, and replace them with De Aza and Snider

If you added De Aza and Snider's home runs, rbis, and OPS together, it would STILL be less than Cruz himself by a WIDE MARGIN, let alone Markakis.  Are you KIDDING ME?  I'm the one who's "blind as a bat?"  You think that replacing two core staples of a near World Series team with two replacement level players is an improvement?

There's no point in having this argument.  You are so delusional that every word posted in your direction about this is a waste of breath.

I like Markakis but he is a player in decline. It is not worth signing him to a four year deal. Furthermore, he is not your prototypical leadoff hitter as he doesn't have speed on the base paths. He did have a pretty decent obp.

The verdict on letting Cruz walk for a four year deal will be handed down in 2017 and 2018. 

But again, Cruz got off to a very hot start and then had a relatively pedestrian second half. Maybe the Orioles made a mistake in letting him go, time will tell.

Snider was a number one draft pick. He may or may not put it together.

I like Markakis but he is a player in decline. It is not worth signing him to a four year deal. Furthermore, he is not your prototypical leadoff hitter as he doesn't have speed on the base paths. He did have a pretty decent obp.

The verdict on letting Cruz walk for a four year deal will be handed down in 2017 and 2018.

But again, Cruz got off to a very hot start and then had a relatively pedestrian second half. Maybe the Orioles made a mistake in letting him go, time will tell.

You're wasting your time. Trust me.

That is an out and out lie.

Jones and Wieters are the only perennial all-stars in that group, and Wieters had no business being on the All Star team last year because he played less than 40 games all season.

I couldn't care any less if Crus or Markakis are worth their contracts at the end.  I want to win NOW, because NOW is when the team is going to be the strongest for the forseeable future.  Do you not understand that?  The window is rapidly closing, and if things don't pick up this season it could have already closed.  If you keep playing for 3 years from now, you will be a loser forever.

I am not upset that they let Markakis and Cruz go.  I'm upset that they did NOTHING to replace them.  Snider is a 27 year old former prospect.  He is who he is at this point, barring some magical late-blooming renaissance to his career (which rarely happens).  De Aza is a journeyman fringe starting outfielder.  You just don't replace Markakis and Cruz with those guys and call those moves that show dedication to winning.  There is no feasible way you can argue that if you're being honest with yourself, and anyone who has a shred of baseball knowledge would agree with me.  Argue all you like about whether the team is good or not - that's still up in the air - but please don't insult my or anyone else's intelligence by saying that they O's did everything they could to build a World Series contender this offseason.  It's embarrassing. 

That is an out and out lie.

Jones and Wieters are the only perennial all-stars in that group, and Wieters had no business being on the All Star team last year because he played less than 40 games all season.

Hardy has been in two all star games, weiters three.

If you don't think Machado is a perennial all star, you are a buffoon.

Hardy has been in two all star games, weiters three.

If you don't think Machado is a perennial all star, you are a buffoon.

Hardy made the all-star team in 2007 and in 2013.  That is a 6 year gap.  There is no possible way that a 6 year gap between 2 single All-star appearances designates someone a "perennial" all-star.  

Perennial:  perpetual; everlasting; continuing; recurrent.  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/perennial

As for Machado, he's made a single All-Star game before he had two consecutive knee surgeries.  Counting him as a perennial All-star is foolish until he actually does it.  His defense has been shoddy this year (at least by his standards) and his bat has been solid but unspectacular.  He's arguably the 3rd or 4th best 3B in the division behind Donaldson, Longoria, and maybe Sandoval.

I couldn't care any less if Crus or Markakis are worth their contracts at the end.  I want to win NOW, because NOW is when the team is going to be the strongest for the forseeable future.  Do you not understand that?  The window is rapidly closing, and if things don't pick up this season it could have already closed.  If you keep playing for 3 years from now, you will be a loser forever.

I understand that you're soiling your panties. The O's are going to be competitive year in, year out. They have more pitching on the way and some very solid prospects in the field. The have a management team that has produced winners for three consecutive years and there's no reason to believe that they won't continue to do so. They've won with Cruz and without Cruz. They've won when Davis was crush and when Davis was crud. They've won with Machado and without Machado. 

I am looking forward to them being back at full strength and making a run for it this year.

Every year, on every board, you jump to ridiculous conclusions based on a couple of weeks of play. Remember the "Can we stop pretending this is a good team" thread? Now, suddenly, the only thing keeping them out of the world series is their failure to re-sign Miller, Cruz, and Markakis. Get a hold of yourself.

I understand that you're soiling your panties. The O's are going to be competitive year in, year out. They have more pitching on the way and some very solid prospects in the field. The have a management team that has produced winners for three consecutive years and there's no reason to believe that they won't continue to do so. They've won with Cruz and without Cruz. They've won when Davis was crush and when Davis was crud. They've won with Machado and without Machado. 

I am looking forward to them being back at full strength and making a run for it this year.

Every year, on every board, you jump to ridiculous conclusions based on a couple of weeks of play. Remember the "Can we stop pretending this is a good team" thread? Now, suddenly, the only thing keeping them out of the world series is their failure to re-sign Miller, Cruz, and Markakis. Get a hold of yourself.

No surprise that you move the goalpost and respond to only half of what I posted before, because you absolutely cannot refute what I posted above.  Your inadvertent admission of error is noted.

What pitching do they have on the way?  Bundy, who is 2 years removed from TJ surgery and has been limited to 100 inning cap this year?  Gausman, who, despite having the best stuff on the staff, was sent to the bullpen and now has a shoulder injury?  Does the Orioles' sterling record of pitching development inspire confidence in you?  It sure as hell doesn't in me.

At no point did I say this season is over, but this is a deeply flawed team, and there is no apparent help on the way in the minors.  This isn't based on only a few weeks of play - this is based on the team I saw in the offseason, spring training, and thus far on the field.  Furthermore, the team they have is the team they have until the trade deadline unless some unexpected early trade is made.  I at NO POINT said that this was a World Series team this year - just the opposite in fact based on their actions in the offseason - but last year they were almost there, and their response was to get worse.  Whether it's because Duquette already had his foot out the door or because Peter tightened the purse strings is irrelevant to me - the point is that the offseason was a complete failure.

As for the management team that has built this team, the GM already as tried to jump ship, and I would be completely unsurprised if he tried again in the offseason.  The Jays never said they weren't interested in Duquette - all they said was that they wouldn't pursue him any further this year.  The guy making all the decisions doesn't even want to be here anymore.  There are PLENTY of reason to be concerned that this isn't going to last.

Edited by Slidemaster

Hardy made the all-star team in 2007 and in 2013.  That is a 6 year gap.  There is no possible way that a 6 year gap between 2 single All-star appearances designates someone a "perennial" all-star.  

Perennial:  perpetual; everlasting; continuing; recurrent.  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/perennial

As for Machado, he's made a single All-Star game before he had two consecutive knee surgeries.  Counting him as a perennial All-star is foolish until he actually does it.  His defense has been shoddy this year (at least by his standards) and his bat has been solid but unspectacular.  He's arguably the 3rd or 4th best 3B in the division behind Donaldson, Longoria, and maybe Sandoval.

Yeah, and three years ago you were soiling your panties because the O's weren't locking him up to a 10 year deal. You literally said, "I've seen enough".

Sandoval? Sandoval? That may be the most idiotic thing you've said. Machado has   5 home runs and 14 rbi's versus Sandoval's 2 home runs and 12 rbi's. Even with an uncharacteristic string of errors Machado is a nightly highlight reel.

but last year they were almost there, and their response was to get worse.  

and last year at this time you started a post entitled 'Can we stop pretending this is a good team'

Remember that or did you throw those panties into the rubbish bin?

Yeah, and three years ago you were soiling your panties because the O's weren't locking him up to a 10 year deal. You literally said, "I've seen enough".

Sandoval? Sandoval? That may be the most idiotic thing you've said. Machado has   5 home runs and 14 rbi's versus Sandoval's 2 home runs and 12 rbi's. Even with an uncharacteristic string of errors Machado is a nightly highlight reel.

How does the fact that I wanted them to sign Machado long term 3 years ago relate to the fact that you were inarguably wrong about your assertion that those guys were "perennial all-stars?"  Oh it doesn't.  That's a lame distraction even for you.

The reason I mentioned Sandoval is because he's been consistent for his entire career.  Manny hasn't even played a full season in his career.  Depending on what you're looking for, you could make an argument for Sandoval over Manny at this particular juncture, though Manny is clearly more talented.  Regardless, saying that a guy is a perennial all-star when he's made one all-star appearance, had 2 knee surgeries, and hasn't even played 150+ games is unbelievably premature, especially when you consider that he's at best the 3rd best 3B in his own division, let alone his league.

and last year at this time you started a post entitled 'Can we stop pretending this is a good team'

Remember that or did you throw those panties into the rubbish bin?

More distractionary tactics that have nothing to do with the arguments I'm making that you can't refute.

Did they, or did they not, get objectively worse in the offseason?  Answer the question.

Angelos counts on guys like you.  He says thanks.

Angelos counts on guys like you.  He says thanks.

Exactly.

Orioles are one of the worst franchises over the last 30 years in baseball, with one of the worst owners in professional sports history.

the angelos has got his fans concerned he's not making enough money so they activity cheer for cheap signings of marginal players.

That's because Angelos has no interest in winning it all.  He only cares about sucking as much revenue from the fans as possible while doing just enough to stay moderately competitive.

You're probably too young to remember the days when all PGA cared about was sucking as much revenue as possible, while finishing in last place each year, and not even feigning the pretense of being competitive.

For those of us who have been following the team for more than 5 years, things are looking up.

Go O's!!!

edit - user error

Edited by weird-O

For the sake of brevity...

Can we stop pretending that Slide isn't happy unless he's biatching about the O's?

You're probably too young to remember the days when all PGA cared about was sucking as much revenue as possible, while finishing in last place each year, and not even feigning the pretense of being competitive.

For those of us who have been following the team for more than 5 years, things are looking up.

Go O's!!!

Exactly

For the sake of brevity...

Can we stop pretending that Slide isn't happy unless he's biatching about the O's?

:D  :D  :D

Matusz should take a lesson from Britton. Use one or two pitches and throw low. He is to up in the zone and doesn't change speeds very well. He only needs to get three outs. Why pitch like a starter

Go O's!!!

Try again, pal.  I've been watching this team since 1962.  Angelos' track record speaks for itself.  He's pulling the same stunt as he did in '96-'97; be competitive for a year or two, get the fans all excited and then give 'em the old gut punch.  Hell, his GM wants out so badly he wanted to break his contract.  What does that tell you?  Nobody interested in following up on last year's success would watch Cruz, Markakis and Miller walk without even the slightest concern or attempt to get equally talented replacements..  No, I've watched old Petey from the beginning and he hasn't changed a bit.

Edited by veritas

No, I've watched old Petey from the beginning and he hasn't changed a bit.

Either have you. It's always the same, tired, old whining, even though the team is competitive. You're sitting there in your little boat of fear. You obsessively dwell on the fear that the O's will quickly become a bad team again, instead of enjoying the fun of watching a competitive O's team. I'm not about to tell anyone how to root for a sports team. But I know that I wouldn't dedicate one minute of my life, to something that made me as miserable as the O's make you. And, if you were truly an O's fan, since 1962, you would have the maturity to realize a few things. Not the least of which is, all your daily complaints about PGA, don't change a thing. He's still the owner, and you're still an unhappy fan of his team. So don't try to BS a BSer "Pal", your sunspot offerings reek of someone lacking the perspective of age. No self-respecting ~60 year old person, which is how old you would have to be, to have been following this team since 1962, would troll a message board, every day of his life, for the sole purpose of whining about Peter G. Angelos.