• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,846 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:59 PM

I just recently started watching Game of Thrones.

Man, it's like one of the best shows ever! Not far behind shows like Breaking Bad and The Wire...
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#2 bullmikey

bullmikey

What, Me Worry?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,821 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:50 PM

Yeah, I've been watching all along. I read the books too. They did a good job with the series. A little overkill on the T&A (the books were not that explicate) but that's HBO for you. The pacing is just right, the writing good, and the acting excellent. My favorite scenes are whenever Danny decides to take a bath. So far she’s done it twice.  I’m hoping for a third. (Yeah, I admit it, I’m a dirty old man and proud to be one.)  :D

“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”
__ Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant

#3 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,926 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:16 PM

Never gets old.

#4 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,926 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:52 AM

Oh look! It is the doctor from DS9!

#5 kudzu

kudzu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32,992 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 03:07 PM

Man, it's like one of the best shows ever! Not far behind shows like Breaking Bad and The Wire...

Breaking Bad and The Wire cannot hold a candle to Game of Thrones, soulflower.

You see, when shows have to tone down their content to appeal to advertisers, we all lose.

HBO has no such constraints.

#6 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,926 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:18 PM

What can I say without giving things away. The show has definitely detoured from the books. They've seemed to have glossed over the entire fourth book.

#7 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,849 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:18 PM

I've always enjoyed it, but it can be slow at times.  There have been some serious shockers over the years.

#8 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,926 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:04 PM

So, did everyone enjoy tonight's episode of The Walking Dead? :D

That ending pushed the creep factor to 11.

#9 regularguy

regularguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,078 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:17 AM

I have a question about the White Walkers. Haven't read the books, and I'm probably not paying close enough attention to the HBO show, but here goes.

In last Sunday's big battle scene, lots of un-dead former-humans appeared to be getting "killed" with ordinary swords and arrows. Or maybe they were just getting incapacitated by having their bodies cut into parts? And the alien-looking dudes on the horses appear to be a non-human race of beings, and therefore quite different from the formerly-human zombies who make up their army. Are there different ways of killing the two kinds of creatures?

Can anyone explain what gives?

#10 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,926 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:33 AM

I have a question about the White Walkers. Haven't read the books, and I'm probably not paying close enough attention to the HBO show, but here goes.

In last Sunday's big battle scene, lots of un-dead former-humans appeared to be getting "killed" with ordinary swords and arrows. Or maybe they were just getting incapacitated by having their bodies cut into parts? And the alien-looking dudes on the horses appear to be a non-human race of beings, and therefore quite different from the formerly-human zombies who make up their army. Are there different ways of killing the two kinds of creatures?

The only way to destroy them completely is to burn them. In that sense the big battle scene didn't make a lot of sense.

#11 regularguy

regularguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,078 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:00 AM

The only way to destroy them completely is to burn them.

Bring on the dragons!

#12 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,926 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 10:31 PM

They brought on one of the dragons. That was pretty epic. I wonder what the FX budget on that one was?

Then there was the other part, where I was sitting in front of the TV saying, "Stannis, you bastard, don't do it." But he did. Kerry Ingram wins the award for 'Most blood curdling scream'.

Edited by SemiAuto, 07 June 2015 - 10:43 PM.

#13 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,926 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:16 PM

HA! Best comment I've seen so far: "This show has worse parenting than a TLC reality show."

#14 com6063

com6063

Working out my salvation in fear and trembling.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,897 posts
  • LocationDark side of a bog

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:04 AM

Is tonight the season finale?

"Pray, hope, and don't worry." — St. Padre Pio of Pietrelcina

#15 com6063

com6063

Working out my salvation in fear and trembling.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,897 posts
  • LocationDark side of a bog

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:14 AM

Holy moly!

"Pray, hope, and don't worry." — St. Padre Pio of Pietrelcina

#16 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,926 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:25 PM

Is tonight the season finale?

Yes it was. They caught up with the books mostly by ignoring the 4th book, which is fine because it was a slog through secondary characters. For example, the 4th book dealt with Brienne looking for Arya and Sansa. It turned out a lot different in the books as she ended up running into someone entirely unexpected. It wasn't Stannis.

What happened to Arya is going out of order.

What happened with Jon Snow was, IRCC, the very last chapter of book 5. In the book, it was a bit more clear why that happened.

What happened with Myrcella was completely off the rails in regards to the books. The same goes for Sansa.

The walk of shame was in the books.

Edited by SemiAuto, 15 June 2015 - 01:43 PM.

#17 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,926 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:31 PM

How far are you along Soul? I'm trying not to give stuff away via spoilers.

#18 bullmikey

bullmikey

What, Me Worry?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,821 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:56 PM

What can I say without giving things away. The show has definitely detoured from the books. They've seemed to have glossed over the entire fourth book.

Yeah, but let's face it, there were parts of book 4 that deserved to be glossed over. There were a lot of long chapters in which not much of anything happened. Characters struggling with their inner doubts and such does not make for exciting television. And between me and you, I think Martin is milking the series beyond its original conception for no better reason than the extra bucks. I've also noticed that in a few places the series this season has actually outrun the books and taken some very strange turns away from the books. It may be that books and series part ways; otherwise, there's going to be a serious spoiler probably if Martin ever gets off his arse to finish the series.
“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

#19 bullmikey

bullmikey

What, Me Worry?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,821 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:05 PM

The zombies are animated dead people; they are already dead, so they can’t be killed again. To stop them you have to either cut them up so bad they become dysfunctional or else burn them.

So far it has been revealed that the White Walker can be killed by Dragon Glass (probably obsidian) or Valyrian Steel (supposedly spell forged in dragon fire). I say so far because Martin doesn't tell the reader more about the White Walkers than the characters in the books know, which isn't a lot.

Edited by bullmikey, 15 June 2015 - 02:06 PM.

#20 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,926 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:08 PM

The whole Brienne and Podrick looking for Sansa and Arya in book four was a slog. B & P's countryside tour of the poor, down trodden, and cut throats. Other than where she ended up it was quite a bore. The same goes for Sam Tarly & Co. trip to where ever the hell the maesters train. The same goes for Bran & Co. trip to where the wild things live. Long and slow moving with a cliff hanger at the end.

It reminds me of a line from Firefly, "Dear Diary: Today I was pompous and my sister was crazy. Today we were kidnapped by hill folk, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."

Edited by SemiAuto, 15 June 2015 - 02:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users