Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Circe

Is AppleCare worth it?

9 posts in this topic

Is AppleCare worth its price? ($249 for the MacBook Pro).

It is also available for iPads and iPhones.

For laptops it extends the Mac warranty from 1 year to 3 years.

It also extends the free telephone help service (which is very good) from 90 days to 3 years.

I had it many years ago when Apple used chip sets from IBM.

After about two years one thing broke after another.

After every repair resuscitation they extended the warranty one year.

After several years they finally gave up and in 2007 they gave me the Macbook I am using now.

I kid you not.

What is the opinion of folks out there?

AppleCare is a good bet. But know this: today's MacBook Pro is as good of a laptop as you're pretty much going to get, anywhere. They're well built, but as with any piece of technology, things can go bump in the night, and components can fail, outside the default warranty. 

You'll probably never use it, but it's good to know it's there.

Don't know much about Macs.

That being said, just a couple weeks ago my older Dell Latitude E5300 died. That was a Refurb I got off Dell's Ebay store some 4yrs ago for something like $185 if I recall correctly..So again I went looking on their store and this time I snagged a newer E6420 much better with a i3 2.1Ghz CPU, 4Gigs of RAM and a 250GB HD and Win7 Pro for even Less this time at only $140. I still have my old E6300 that I took to work and leave there replacing the E5300 and this new one is now my Home laptop. So this makes it my 3rd machine I've gotten from them on the cheap. I've told everyone that you can't tell these aren't New machines out of the box except for the Refurb sticker on the bottom. Sure it's not a high end gaming machine but for everything I do with them, they're just fine.

PS: Believe it or not I have a roughly 20yr old Gateway Solo1450 with a 1.2Ghz Celeron, 512Gb RAM and a Whopping 20Gb HD running XP that STILL works! Not much I can do with that anymore but Wow!

Edited by Bartman

I have a 2009 iMac currently running OS X version 10.11.4 (El Capitan) and never got anything after the one year mfgr warranty ran out.

No problems so far.

Same with my wife's Macbook.

Edited by boink

Sounds like the same thing retailers try to talk people into Extended Warranties. Must have been Forever ago, someone said if a piece of electronic gear is going to Fail it will be in the first 30 or 90 days and if it doesn't it'll last for years. Last piece of equipment that died on me was a refurbed Dell Laptop I got off their Ebay store that died after like 3 years. Well heck it cost me under $200 anyway. My old Vizio 50" plasma quit after like 7 or 8 yrs but by then they came down so much that my newer Samsung 50" was less than 1/2 of what I paid for the Vizio many years ago. I've Never gone for extended warranties, they're not worth it. BTW the old GE fridge here in my folks house I'm in after they passed is at least 40yrs old and still running just fine.

Better to be safe than sorry. You just never know. It pretty much covers everything. For the money you spent your Mac, better to have some type of insurance just in case.  

For a laptop that costs ~3k, yes.

It is worth the peace of mind.

Better to be safe than sorry. You just never know. It pretty much covers everything. For the money you spent your Mac, better to have some type of insurance just in case.  

For a laptop that costs ~3k, yes.

It is worth the peace of mind.

Without question. Even the most well-built machines fail because they rely on several parts to function. 

Even if you're not relying on your machine as a key component to your livelihood...

I don't have an Apple Care plan.

I've had my MacBook Pro Laptop since Fall 2012. Nearly, four years later, no issues. 

Macs are very stable and don't forsee any problems with my laptop in the near future that I can't fix myself.