#1 Bartman

Bartman

General Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,627 posts
  • LocationBaltimore City

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:47 PM

Been waiting for this since reading the Book & listening to the Audiobook and hearing last year that Ridley Scott was taking it on.

Hope they don't stray too much from the Source but you know how Hollywood is.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't try to tell me that what I see with my own two eyes ISN'T what I'm seeing with my own two eyes!

#2 bullmikey

bullmikey

What, Me Worry?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,821 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:21 PM

My son was nuts about the book. (I haven't read it yet but will sooner or later.) He's been waiting form this movie. For his sake, I hope they don't mess it up.
“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”
__ Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant

#3 Bartman

Bartman

General Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,627 posts
  • LocationBaltimore City

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:41 PM

No movie can encompass a whole book in 2hrs or less but it's looking pretty good.

2nd Trailer

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't try to tell me that what I see with my own two eyes ISN'T what I'm seeing with my own two eyes!

#4 kelbiiz

kelbiiz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 02:38 AM

Very cool!!! I'm very eager to see this movie

#5 Bartman

Bartman

General Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,627 posts
  • LocationBaltimore City

Posted 09 October 2015 - 05:14 PM

Didn't go to see it 'cause well I'm just not a People person but grabbed a decent CAM copy off the intranets. Of course you can't fit Any book into one movie but Ridley Scott didn't do bad on this one at all. I'll get a BRRip later when it comes out for sure.

I give the movie 5 Pirate Ninjas!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,233 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:50 PM

Hey Bart, Finally got a great looking copy. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time :)

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#7 Bartman

Bartman

General Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,627 posts
  • LocationBaltimore City

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:06 PM

Hey Bart, Finally got a great looking copy. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time :)

A couple rips came out on Usenet this week, NOT CAMS but Good copies with HK Subs which don't bother me anymore. Web release is supposed to be Dec 22nd and BluRay in Jan so there will be a Clean rip later. I can't complain except they changed the Ending from the book in which the Iron Man thing was just joked at but they did it in the movie. Overall a definite Keeper.

Spoiler: You know the atmospheric pressure on Mars is only about 1/100th of the pressure here on Earth so storms like that are just not possible there but otherwise you could just forget about the whole story. But what the heck. Grab the Book if you get a chance or even the Audiobook which is just Outstanding!

Edited by Bartman, 11 December 2015 - 07:26 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#8 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,233 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:17 PM

Bro I stopped worrying about historical and scientific accuracy in movies a long time ago. Hell they can't even get the super hero stories right and they're all in print to read. Every movie is someone's vision, I just want to be entertained and the movie delivered on that

#9 Bartman

Bartman

General Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,627 posts
  • LocationBaltimore City

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:48 AM

No Doubt just that most every movie is a come down if you've read the Book but I'm aware of that. No way can they encompass every detail. Robinson Crusoe on Mars had the Science wrong too along with other things but it still remains one of my Fav movies. The Martian is a Keeper!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#10 bullmikey

bullmikey

What, Me Worry?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,821 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:48 PM

Just saw it and thought it was pretty good. 

“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

#11 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,233 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:45 AM

Yeah when my kids and I both like the same movie, it's got something going on :)

#12 bullmikey

bullmikey

What, Me Worry?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,821 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:35 PM

No Doubt just that most every movie is a come down if you've read the Book but I'm aware of that. No way can they encompass every detail. Robinson Crusoe on Mars had the Science wrong too along with other things but it still remains one of my Fav movies. The Martian is a Keeper!

The best part of the book was how it showed you him figuring stuff out and then went into pretty good detail about how he accomplished everything. The movie kind of blazed through everything.  But I suppose a lot of what worked in the book wouldn't have worked on film. The book was targeted to a certain kind of reader who is into such detail.  A movie needs to appeal to a much wider audience, most of who would have been bored by too much technical detail.  But another important aspect of the story was the human side of it, and I think the movie did a good job of capturing and portraying that. Also, visually, it was stunning.  So, all in all, good job. And a cut above the usual Hollywood Sci-Fi.  

#13 Bartman

Bartman

General Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,627 posts
  • LocationBaltimore City

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:16 PM

The Globes had it win under the Comedy/Musical category. Even Ridley Scott said coming up to the mike, "Comedy?" Well I guess that Hollywood just likes to continue kissing the butt of DiCaprio for God only knows what reason. I've been on this planet for 60yrs now and I don't ever recall hearing the word "Revenant" before, what the heck is that? Only thing I know about that movie is from the TV ads and the "You don't just come here to Hunt do ya?" jokes that flew around the net about Leo and the Bear. Anyway, The Martian came out as an independent novel piecemeal on the 'net and crowdfunded till it was picked up and became a bestseller. Yeah it's chock full of Smart Alecky Nerdiness and Geekdom which appealed to a lot of people myself included. Excepting the fact that Mars' atmosphere is like 1/100th the pressure of here on Earth and the sandstorm which is the basis of the story is impossible, the rest was carefully researched by Andy Weir and mainly plausible. The only thing I didn't like about the film is that Watney didn't use the Iron Man stunt during the rescue and Beck went and got him but I guess Scott felt the other way was better for the movie. I also felt the Hermes was way too big for what we might really use when we do make the trip especially having the rotating part for artificial gravity. Maybe the next century for that. I do wish that they would've referred to Amps of electrical power as in the book as Pirate Ninjas somewhere along the line though, I missed that part. You oughta get the Audiobook, the guy who did the voice acting for that was Spectarular! I dare say even better than the Movie!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#14 tooldtocare

tooldtocare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Locationfar side of the moon

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:10 PM

Bartman,

It's been awhile since I visited your thread and I must say I am very glade to see it's thriving.,..,.may it continue to do so.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,

On a side note you introduced me to the following~~~

So I am introducing you to this--

Ground Control To Major Tom

What got to me about the above is that my name is Tom & the theme struck home

Anyway I do hope you and yours are doing well & had a great Christmas

until another day

Tom

Edited by tooldtocare, 11 January 2016 - 09:20 PM.

#15 dereckatters

dereckatters

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:56 AM

Actually, the trailers were much more interesting then the film itself.

#16 dereckatters

dereckatters

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:00 AM

Though I did like the episode when Matt is celebrating his success with the hotbed. He looks like Bred Pitt there, doesn't he? Here's the link to the picture: https://tribzap2it.f...mon-martian.jpg

I actually found 2 free college term papers on The Martian reviews. Matt Damon is everywhere compared to Bred Pitt. LOL.

Edited by dereckatters, 01 December 2016 - 03:03 AM.

#17 Bartman

Bartman

General Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,627 posts
  • LocationBaltimore City

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:15 AM

Watched the first few episodes of "Mars" on Nat Geo or whatever channel that it's on and it's kind of slow, dry and boring. Growing up in the 60's I was as much in awe of the Astronauts as anyone else. It slowed a bit as I got older and after the Moon landings. The Shuttle was a truck with nowhere to go until they ramped up the ISS construction. Shame they couldn't get around it's vulnerabilities and the costs that it was supposed to save. I'm sure the Carbon Fiber could be reinforced to withstand the Ice and the Tiles really don't seem affected that much but it still takes a lot to get it back up again. We were expecting a Space Equivalent of the DC-3 but it just didn't turn out that way. Now they're talking about the "Glorified Apollo" going to Mars. Good Luck with that. As a Kerbal Space Program player, I get it how far away Mars really is and how long it takes to get there. You just Have to have something Bigger. You have to have some space for people to just get the heck away from each other for a little while or they'll all wind up beating the snot out of each other after 6 mos to a year all together in that little can. I doubt I'll be around long enough to see Man set foot on another Planet but some of You may. We should have set up a permanent presence on the Moon long ago. Learn how to live there and deal with the effects of the Solar Wind/Radiation Shielding and such while you're close enough to get to in a couple days. We should have had Bases like on UFO or Space 1999 a long time ago. Someone call Ed Straker or Commander Koenig!

Edited by Bartman, 14 December 2016 - 09:22 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#18 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,233 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:20 AM

I never understood why we went to the moon in the 60's and never stepped foot on it again. I'm not a space expert but I have to believe it would have been easier to create a moon base than the ISS.

#19 EL-FLIPPO

EL-FLIPPO

School & Street Educated

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,028 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Doodad Nebula

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:39 PM

Someone call Ed Straker or Commander Koenig!

I loved the UFO (pronounced U-FOE) sci-fi tv series so much, I actually bought the DVD box set. The only video box set I own. Ed Straker was square business.

Edited by EL-FLIPPO, 23 December 2016 - 01:40 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Give not that which is holy unto the dogs,
neither cast ye your pearls before swine,
lest they trample them under their feet
.â€
~
Matthew 7:6 ~

#20 Bartman

Bartman

General Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,627 posts
  • LocationBaltimore City

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:41 AM

Have the UFO series as well on an ext HD. Space 1999 kept me in the 1st season but they went too far out with their stories in the 2nd season and it wasn't doing it for me anymore. Gerry Anderson was having enough with Sylvia and their marriage falling apart by then and it was all over.

"Journey to the far side of the Sun" AKA "Doppelganger" was the only full length movie they made and was their Peak I think.

Loved what both series accomplished with Derek Meddings and their miniatures as much or more than what they do with CGI now. The Moonbase gals in UFO with the purple wigs, miniskirts & bodysuits esp Lt. Gay Ellis did more for me than the Unisex styles in Space 1999. Woo-Hoo!!!

Different Times back then, I miss that stuff. 

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users