Guest 0ctoburn

Should the USCGC Taney be re~named or moved or scuttled or dismantled?

261 posts in this topic

Should the USCGC Taney be re~named or moved or scuttled or dismantled? :confused:

It would make sense since people want to take down statues of Taney and it sits as a tourist attraction at Baltimore City's inner harbor. Scout and other groups even hold sleepovers on this ship that is named after a racist.

I say remove all names from ships, buildings, roads, towns, waterways and replace it with a number this way no one is offended. Damn PC will kill this country.

The whole Confederacy thing has just brought out how low IQ has dropped in this country. The whole thing is ridiculous

Dont know much about Taney and don't care

However, I do want to see Andrew Jackson's name removed from stuff

The whole Confederacy thing has just brought out how low IQ has dropped in this country. The whole thing is ridiculous

People love a good outrage.

People love a good outrage.

How can anyone be outraged over a person they never heard of? (Assuming most people never heard of this guy Taney)

How can anyone be outraged over a person they never heard of? (Assuming most people never heard of this guy Taney)

How can people be outraged about a flag that doesn't affect their life in any way?

I guess start with renaming Jacksonville, FL  ?

How can people be outraged about a flag that doesn't affect their life in any way?

A Flag and a person are two very different things

The Confederate flag has been a symbol of hate and white supremacy just like the swastika

Or outraged by a flag at the snap of a finger.  One day no one cares about the flag completely ignoring its history, and then after some hillbilly terrorist goes on a killing spree, it's the most offensive thing ever.

Or outraged by a flag at the snap of a finger. One day no one cares about the flag completely ignoring its history, and then after some hillbilly terrorist goes on a killing spree, it's the most offensive thing ever.

People have been fighting to get the Confederate flag removed from statehouses in the south for years

Selective memories of history around here I guess

People have been fighting to get the Confederate flag removed from statehouses in the south for years

I know about the SC debate.  How about people freaking out that the flag is sold places?  Or Dukes of Hazzard reruns being cancelled because their Charger had the flag on the roof?  Or freaking out about anything even remotely related to the Confederacy?

Most of the outrage is fresh.

I know about the SC debate. How about people freaking out that the flag is sold places? Or Dukes of Hazzard reruns being cancelled because their Charger had the flag on the roof? Or freaking out about anything even remotely related to the Confederacy?

Most of the outrage is fresh.

I don't know anything about who is outraged about the other stuff. These days, it only takes a Twitter post to bring national attention to something...

George's as well.

Selective memory of history ??? You don't know who Roger Taney is ..???

I want George Washington's name removed. 

Selective memory of history ??? You don't know who Roger Taney is ..???

I only recently learned who he was.

Why George?

Oh yeah, and his wife, Martha. Get rid of any reference to her.

A lot of people are familiar with Taney and his legacy.

A portion of the petition reads: "Structures erected in honor of Roger Taney and Curley Byrd are symbols of racial hatred with no place in our government, and, in the wake of the massacre in Charleston by a racist who drew inspiration from symbols of slavery and segregation, it's time to put these symbols behind us, accelerate our healing, and have Maryland embrace unity and respect for human rights rather than division and white supremacy."

The petition also highlights the Dred Scott decision and mentions that Chief Justice Taney declared "that only white persons could be citizens of the United States."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-byrd-petition-20150622-story.html

Activists could always recommend that the city or state take the Taney to Fort Carroll and destroy them both since the fort was designed and constructed under the supervision of Robert E. Lee.

And how is this any different than the monuments they want to bring down?

As I said earlier on some other thread....except for the self-righteous outrage....most people don't even (in BC) don't know who Nixon was.

Mole-hill.....mountain= do-gooders with too much time on their hands.

I guarantee you that 9 out of 10 random people surveyed in MD wouldn't be able to explain who Taney was.

So what? Is that the criteria for removing offensive symbols and things that honor people that others find offensive? :confused:

Edited by 0ctoburn

So what? Is that the criteria for removing offensive symbols and things that honor people that others find offensive? :confused:

Not at all. Just wondering who besides this UMD student is "outraged"