Guest 0ctoburn

Should the USCGC Taney be re~named or moved or scuttled or dismantled?

261 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, sparky1 said:

Does anyone care about this ship? I have heard no one asking for the ship to be renamed except those on this board. Is this an argument for arguments sake? The likely course of action is that when the ship is decommissioned by the Navy, that there will be no more ships named for the unfortunate justice. Problem solved in the fullness of time. . . if it is even a problem. 

Do black sailor's on this ship get full pay?

56 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

It's a museum. 

Smh and lmao

Edited by PinkFlamingo

Kristallnacht across America continues . Monuments, school names , street names, reenactments, reenactors, songs , paintings , flags, cemeteries , graves. Guess who's next folks ........us

Just now, Duke of Earl said:

Kristallnacht across America continues . Monuments, school names , street names, reenactments, reenactors, songs , paintings , flags, cemeteries , graves. Guess who's next folks ........us

No, common sense will reign eventually. 

This topic is the dumbest of all. Posters are actually debating whether to change the name of a floating museum ship that was decommissioned 30 years ago. The overall stupidity of the idea is only surpassed by some of the individual comments.

53 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

This topic is the dumbest of all. Posters are actually debating whether to change the name of a floating museum ship that was decommissioned 30 years ago. The overall stupidity of the idea is only surpassed by some of the individual comments.

http://www.historicships.org/rental-taney.html

https://www.uscg.mil/history/webcutters/img/Taney_4.jpg

Black people did serve on the ship (As Full Citizens??) named for the racist scumbag.

1 hour ago, Duke of Earl said:

It's funny that you would bring up Kristallnacht and conveniently forget who was just recently marching with torches and chanting "Jews will not replace us!" and "Blood and soil!" and running down people. 

When some goofs start chanting Nazi slogans, it's a pretty good clue that you're on the wrong side and in no position to preach to anyone about what is appropriate and what isn't. 

1 hour ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Who's 'common sense'? The phrase by dictionary definition is good sense and sound judgment in practical matters. And in general meant that it was a consensus of common thought by the majority.

However as we see on these forums day in and day out. Common sense has come to mean ...what I THINK is the common sense exclusively or what a small percentage of the population THINK is the prevalent common sense and one that should be accepted by everyone.

It's a museum. 

Smh and lmao

Yeah that was a 'wwwhhhahaaaatttttt????????' moment for me also.

14 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

It's funny that you would bring up Kristallnacht and conveniently forget who was just recently marching with torches and chanting "Jews will not replace us!" and "Blood and soil!" and running down people. 

When some goofs start chanting Nazi slogans, it's a pretty good clue that you're on the wrong side and in no position to preach to anyone about what is appropriate and what isn't. 

I have no doubt that some of the goofs on this board were with them in spirit,  They certainly started calling out the antifa more consistently after Unite The Wrong

2 hours ago, Bawlmerian said:

30 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

http://www.historicships.org/rental-taney.html

https://www.uscg.mil/history/webcutters/img/Taney_4.jpg

Black people did serve on the ship (As Full Citizens??) named for the racist scumbag.

Your original question (above) asked "Do black sailors on this ship get full pay?" Present tense.  That question shows you knew nothing at all about the Taney until right now. 

30 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Your original question (above) asked "Do black sailors on this ship get full pay?" Present tense.  That question shows you knew nothing at all about the Taney until right now. 

I agree.  But do you agree he is a racist scumbag and a stain on us history that should not be honored and a hero?

It is not the Coast Guard Cutter and the history of the ship's service that is dishonorable.  I just read a bit and it has a long history of service.  It is the man it was named for that sucks.

12 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

I agree.  But do you agree he is a racist scumbag and a stain on us history that should not be honored and a hero?

It no longer matters. The ship has overcome the origin of her name and made it honorable. 

You might want to use capitals when referring to the US in your posts. 

Edited by PinkFlamingo

12 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

It no longer matters. The ship has overcome the origin of her name and made it honorable. 

A.  It matters to me.

B.  I'll do as I please.

7 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

A.  It matters to me.

B.  I'll do as I please.

Those two answers speak volumes about your character. Carry on.

E. None of the Above

7 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Those two answers speak volumes about your character. Carry on.

Carry on fighting for a racist's name.

2 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

Keep those doggies trolling.........

Just now, Bawlmerian said:

I'm not fighting for anything. I already stated that it doesn't matter...to me or most people.

Do you read or watch the current news? There's so much more happening at this very moment with which to be concerned. 

I'm not fighting for anything. I already stated that it doesn't matter...to me or most people.

Do you read or watch the current news? There's so much more happening at this very moment with which to be concerned. 

One of the best statements I can recall you saying. Excellent.

Indeed.  But I am able to do multiple things.  And dispite all  these important events in the news you have time to be upset that people with no power to make any changes are discussing changing the name on a retired Coast Guard cutter.

On a thread started a long time ago by a long ago banned poster.

The Coast Guard cutter Dred Scott should   be taken on a educational tour!

8 hours ago, sparky1 said:

Does anyone care about this ship? I have heard no one asking for the ship to be renamed except those on this board. Is this an argument for arguments sake? The likely course of action is that when the ship is decommissioned by the Navy, that there will be no more ships named for the unfortunate justice. Problem solved in the fullness of time. . . if it is even a problem. 

For starters, this is what got my attention..

https://afro.com/white-supremacy-floats-baltimores-inner-harbor/

They got part of it right. It IS white and is pretty "Supreme" since it's survived over 60 years of sea duty and is still afloat. And the last few lines of the above link is why I think it should named after Anthony Johnson. ;-)  

Edited by tc1uscg

22 hours ago, tc1uscg said:

Thanks. I just happen to stumble across this last night. These people are no better then ISIS. They can disagree all they want, but they are pretty much doing the same thing. Having read some of the support from ignorant morons, one of them,  House Minority Whip Kathy Szeliga said  "she was appalled that it compared slaves to merchandise and described black Americans as unworthy of human rights." Hello! That was back then. Go back a few more hundred years and you will find more that will appall you. So, I guess someone who committed adultery, many times, it's ok to honor them, name streets after them and even a holiday (and this happened in this century).

But I would like to challenge this lady and the Gov of MD to take a trip down to DC and visit the Native American Museum. Then come back and cry me a river about things that appall you.

Yes...yes...YES!!!  

:D