Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pahunter

Win 10

56 posts in this topic

I've been playing with the Insider preview builds for months. It's not really much different from W7. I'd say if you're one of the  people getting it for free, go ahead and download it. Supposedly it's Microsoft's last operating system and from now on they'll be constantly updating it. If you have to buy it, I'd say buy it if you have W8, don't buy it if you have W7.

Thanks ken, with my age its hard to keep up and need all the help and advice I can get.

I have two puters one with 7 and the other with 8. I think I would like w 10 on both and I'm wondering if they would give me w10 for both, free of course.

If your version of Windows on both computers are genuine, you should have a square windows looking  icon on your taskbar. That's the windows 10 upgrade icon. If it's there, it's free for you to download and install

Yeah Ken. that's what one of the PC magazines online said. W7 has the most satisfied users. If you have that stick with it. Other than the different look of W10 the biggest thing people might miss is that it doesn't have Media Center in it anymore. I have no intention of upgrading. If I get a new rig I'll just get it with a formatted drive as I have the full W7 CD and license to stick in it.

Yeah I keep a genuine W7 on hand as well. With the upgrades in my main machine(that I built myself) I'm a few years away from a new pc so I won't have to worry about W10 until my 13 year old insists on a laptop for school. Even then it'll be his decision if he wants to keep it or not. I'll suggest he keep it since it'll be the last operating system MS puts out(supposedly). It'll get all their attention in the future

Yeah I keep a genuine W7 on hand as well. With the upgrades in my main machine(that I built myself) I'm a few years away from a new pc so I won't have to worry about W10 until my 13 year old insists on a laptop for school. Even then it'll be his decision if he wants to keep it or not. I'll suggest he keep it since it'll be the last operating system MS puts out(supposedly). It'll get all their attention in the future

I eagerly went to Windows 10 because to say I was not a fan of Windows 8 would be an understatement. In contrast, Windows 10 is much more user-friendly and practical. I like that I don't have to log in every time I stay away from the computer for any length of time and I don't have to keep flipping between the desktop and apps, etc.

I agree that Windows 7 was pretty good, but the only way to get that on a new computer is to pay for the "upgrade." Windows 8 came automatically with most systems.

I'm also interested if 10 will work on older systems, been trying to read up on that PC world says it will  work reasonably well on some

it sounds like 10 is very efficient, uses less resources for just the basic "running" of the system

Here ya go! Remember these are Minimums, no doubt it would run quite Slow on this.

•Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC

•RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit

•Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS

•Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver

•Display: 800x600

Edited by Bartman

It's actually free. I don't have an old system to test it on to know how it would run. My oldest system has an AMD Phenom x4 processor, which is old tech but not ancient and it runs pretty snappy on that. Of course it also has 12Gigs of Ram so not really a fair test

Is the "free" 10 from MS really free or a gimmick?

MY oldest daughter got the notification she was to get a free version of 10 but I wasn't sure about it.

Free is not really free.

The free versions sets your computer as a permanent guinea pig for Microsoft. 

Free is not really free.

The free versions sets your computer as a permanent guinea pig for Microsoft.

No different than any other version of Windows except you don't have to pay for the pleasure

Not as big a gamer as I once was so the newer DirectX doesn't mean anything to me. Already running everything at 1600x900 which is fine on my 21 incher. Might go for a 24 incher later, next year maybe. 5GB of One Drive storage? I've got a half dozen 8GB thumbs, a couple of 16's and a 1TB External HD right on the desk. New Browser? Have both Firefox & Chrome installed along with IE11.

W7 is just fine for me. I ran Vista for some 7 years till I bought 7 and never saw why everyone was complaining about it. Liked the Old Windows movie maker in that. The Windows Live movie maker just Sucks. I have a Nero Suite taking the place of the old Windows DVD maker which ran fine for me too.

Just don't have any reason to get 10

No different than any other version of Windows except you don't have to pay for the pleasure

The privacy statement is not the same as for previous versions.

Regardless, Microsoft has always owned your machine regardless of what the privacy policy of a particular operating system was. You're naïve or ignorant if you think differently

Edited by bmore_ken

I had no problems with Win 8.1, but I spent 99% of my time in "other" desktop.  I like how they brought back the "Start" menu in Win 10.

I'm mostly gaming on my home PC, but from time-to-time I do some web development, online training and testing of applications I'm using at work (Oracle Database, Linux, PostgreSQL, MySQL ...).

Regardless, Microsoft has always owned your machine regardless of what the privacy policy of a particular operating system was. You're naïve or ignorant if you think differently

Agreed.  Want to be safe, unplug.  :)

what if you use ubuntu?

Thought about Linux way back when Red Hat came out but don't think I want to go that way.

When I 1st went into Smartphones I had heard all about Apple leading all their customers around by the nose and figured I'd go Android.

Seems now though Apple has Nothing on Google for being the 800lb Gorilla these days. I've trashed Chrome and any G+ tie ins on my PC and am using Outlook on my phone. Screw Google! They already screwed me with Kit Kat and locking out the SD card and I hear Lollipop isn't any better. The newer LG Tribute I got about a year ago has Less in it than my old little HTC One V that lasted me for 3 years with ice Cream Sandwich and had plenty on it. I'm not about to pay $400-500 for a Phone! I have a PC at home & 2 Laptops, one at home and one at work. I'm not spending any More than $100 or so for a hand held phone but the Newer OS is squeezing the lower end phones out if you don't have a load of ROM in it. Load just a few Apps and you're out of room. I'll go back to a Flip Phone with Nothing first.

Now that I've been able to use it a bit more, I like it even more.  Good move by Microsoft going back to an enhanced start menu.

Still need a little more time with the Edge browser before I can decide whether or not to switch from Chrome.

Now that I've been able to use it a bit more, I like it even more.  Good move by Microsoft going back to an enhanced start menu.

Still need a little more time with the Edge browser before I can decide whether or not to switch from Chrome.

I agree. I like Windows 10 as it is user-friendly. I haven't tried the Edge much as I prefer Firefox. I may use it for Flash videos though, which seem to crash often in Firefox.