Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pahunter

Win 10

56 posts in this topic

The first time I played with Windows 8 on a test box, I uninstalled it the next day.  About 2 months later I decided to give it a go for 3 days and re-evaluate then.  After a couple days, I was fine with it.  Even preferred some of the UI behaviors in certain situations.  8.1 was a nice solid update in my opinion.  Anytime you ask people to do things differently than they've done them before... the initial reaction for most is going to be: "Ew, this new thing sucks!"

Haven't played a whole lot with 10 so far, but it seems to be another nice update from 8.1

For what it's worth, in my experience the last few years... none of my Win 8.1 boxes have "blue screened" at all... not once.  My wife's work-supplied Mac Air gets frozen with the wheel of misfortune a couple times a month.  It's all very pleasing to me.  ;)

I never saw why everyone complained about Vista! Did everything fine for me and esp liked the Windows DVD Maker and the Windows Movie Maker that I made Slideshows with. They're both gone now and the Windows Live movie stuff just Sucks. Running W7 now and it suits me OK. I have the whole Nero Suite now so I use that mostly. Don't care for the Tile stuff. I like my little Icons going all around my desktop that changes pics for me regularly. I don't want my PC or Laptops to run like Tablets. I'm sure there's still a "Classic Shell" that I could get for my next machine sometime this Spring. I could just get a PC with a Formatted Drive as I have my own copy of W7 with the license. We'll see.   

I never saw why everyone complained about Vista! Did everything fine for me and esp liked the Windows DVD Maker and the Windows Movie Maker that I made Slideshows with. They're both gone now and the Windows Live movie stuff just Sucks.

The Vista complaints were mainly the initial driver issues. It took a few months to clear that up and it was business as usual. Some people just need something to complain about

Edited by bmore_ken

Yeah Ken, the old Cyberpower is still running OK. It was Originally a $1500 machine when I got it in like '07. All I did was install W7 and bump the RAM from 2MB to 6MB with 2 sticks. Guess I coulda went to 8 but saving money I just kept the 2 1MB sticks and stuck in the 2 2's in the other slots. That's all the MB can handle, 2MB per slot 8MB max. Game wise the old Nvidea 8800GTS card still runs my old COD, United Offensive & COD2 just fine. Don't really do that much gaming as I once did except for those that I started into again and Kerbal which isn't really graphics intensive. Where I'd like to get more Oomph is in the CPU for faster Video Re-Encoding to burn DVDs with my Nero Platinum suite. The ASUS P5N-E-SLI MB is running almost the best Core 2 Duo for its time but it won't accept the newer slot CPUs. The case is a huge Bare Aluminum older Cooler Master that's really Kick ***. Have never seen anything like it since. Have played around on PC Parts Picker setting up new systems but don't think I want to go that route again. I built a PC myself way back around 2000 that turned out fine but my last 2 were Cyberpower rigs that have served me well. We'll see in a few more months. I need to get New Brakes & Tires on all 4 corners 1st before Winter gets here!

Edited by Bartman

My wife installed W10 on her laptop, with the first update, and within 24 hours the problems began.

In less than 24 hours later, we reinstalled W7 and -- wonder of wonders -- the problems vanished.

When Microsoft started offering W10 free I started looking at computer-critic sites and found that it was considered as a beta version and MS was using its "free" offering to get willing guinea pigs to try out the new thing.  The critics pointed that, among other changes, there was no more free solitaire.  That's un-American.

There are any number of former programs that don't work in W10 and if you have Virtual XP on your computer it's incompatible with W10.

You have to check Windows Update for W10 related updates that MS was sending.  I no longer allow automatic updates, simply because I don't trust Microsoft not to slip W10 in without my permission.

Our computers work fine without W10.  Can anyone suggest how to block the incessant pop-up from windows.com urging me to download Windows 10?

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to try the following methods if you want to stop this notification.

Method 1:Uninstall the Windows Update as follow:

Remove the Windows update KB 3035583

If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2: Rename the GWXUXWorker.exe

Terminate the GWX.exe process using Task Manager. Moreover rename the GWXUXWorker.exe and GWX.exe to .old as suffix from directory location:-

Windows\System32\GWX, if getting any issues while renaming then give the system permission's to respective files and then try to rename it again. OR you can delete the entire directory folder.

If the issue persists, follow method 3.

Method 3: Registry key to stop the notification

1.Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the run dialog box.

2.In the Open field, type regedit.

3.Click OK.

4.Click Yes on the User Account Control (if prompted).

5.Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Gwx

6.Right click.

7.Click Modify.

8.In the Value data: field, dword:00000001.

9.Click OK.

10.Exit Registry Editor.

Important this method contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Thank you listing the process to avoid or get rid of W10.

You have to be watchful of Windows Updates.  If you uninstall 3035583 Microsoft will replace it on the list of important updates already checked.

Uncheck it and it won't download.  But keep watching because it will be back.

Microsoft is being very aggressive about trying to get W10 into every computer.  I read one critical column whose author called W10 Windows "crapware."

If you download W10 and love it, good for you.  But it's not for everyone despite Microsoft's best efforts.

Think about just how many things Microsoft ever gives away free -- then wonder why they are so hot to give away W10.

• Download took a long time with no clear indication of how long it would take.

I clicked on the update on Saturday and was told it would be installed on Tuesday evening.  No clear indication of why it would take so long.  I was able  to start the installation Tuesday morning so it would be done when I got home.

After startup following installation, screen blanked a couple of times and I had to restart.  Then I lost whatever window was open to give feedback to Microsoft.

No Freecell!!!!!  It does save the old .exe in WINDOWS.OLD, but it won't work.

Im a Mac user. Love Mac. For me, no other computers can compare. Unfortunately my job uses microsoft platforms which prompted me to buy a surface pro with windows 10 on it. Not a fan of windows 10. Rather use windows 7

Seems like Newer people who do a lot of stuff on their phones like W10 but those of us who have been doing this for years prefer our old Icons on the screen and Windows Explorer and Folders with all our stuff. Been doing it that way for 20 some years and I don't want to change the way I do things. I saw those big Tiles and that turned me off right away. Like some websites I don't go to anymore 'cause they make you scroll through all that junk forever. Started with W95 forever ago then had XP which our main work PC still has 'cause the company Legacy programs are DOS based. I never had any problems with Vista, always ran fine for me and that old Cyberpower PC is still chugging along after 10+ years though I did put W7 Home on it 2yrs ago. This new CP rig, I paid Xtra for W7 Pro instead of W10. Some people knock Cyberpower but this is my 3rd from them in 15 years without a problem. Guess it's the same old story with people just hearing people who complain louder than people who like something.

I'm also interested if 10 will work on older systems, been trying to read up on that PC world says it will  work reasonably well on some

it sounds like 10 is very efficient, uses less resources for just the basic "running" of the system

Browser security is a major upgrade, Win 10 footprint is light.

Here's what it takes to upgrade to Windows 10 on your PC or tablet from the Microsoft site:

•Latest OS: Make sure you're running the latest version—either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
•Find out which version you're running
•Need the latest version? Download Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
•Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
•RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
•Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS or 20 GB for 64-bit OS
•Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
•Display: 800 x 600

Remember these are Minimums! Running on this lowest spec I imagine it would be barely useable. If you have XP or Vista it won't go.

Edited by Bartman

I've been using Windows 10 on my home Desktop PC for a few months. 

No major issues. No crashes.  

Overall, I've got to say that it's the best version of Windows OS I've ever used. 

Windows 7 was pretty decent. I didn't like using Vista or Windows 8

I went back to Windows 7.  Shortly thereafter, a Windows Update dialog opened, but I didn't do anything with it.  I took a phone call, and when I came back it says it was downloading Windows 10!  I cancelled the download, and shortly thereafter I got another dialog box  telling me Microsoft recommended Windows 10 and asked me when I wanted to upgrade!

DAMN YOU, Microsoft.

They'll keep pushing it as long as it's Free. They should stop pushing once they start charging for it which is supposed to be soon but I'll bet they will keep pestering us. Been handling my Folders and such working with my files in Windows Explorer for over 20yrs now and I don't want to change the way I'm used to doing things. I like my little Icons all around the edges of the screen, I don't want their Tiles. I got a small program that got rid of the shortcut arrows a long time ago for Vista and it works on 7 too. I think if you do get 10 you can get something like Classic Shell to take it back the old way but why bother changing in the 1st place? I ran Vista for almost 10 yrs and didn't see what all the complaints were about. This new PC with W7 Pro suits me just fine.

I went back to Windows 7. Shortly thereafter, a Windows Update dialog opened, but I didn't do anything with it. I took a phone call, and when I came back it says it was downloading Windows 10! I cancelled the download, and shortly thereafter I got another dialog box telling me Microsoft recommended Windows 10 and asked me when I wanted to upgrade!

DAMN YOU, Microsoft.

Microsoft's Windows 10 upgrade prompts will become a thing of the past soon. The software giant is planning to remove its Get Windows 10 app from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs after July 29th. Microsoft confirmed yesterday that the company is planning to end its free Windows 10 upgrade offer on July 29th, and in a statement to WinBeta it has revealed the annoying upgrade notification will be disabled after July 29th:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/6/11606392/microsoft-windows-10-upgrade-notification-going-away

I went back to Windows 7.  Shortly thereafter, a Windows Update dialog opened, but I didn't do anything with it.  I took a phone call, and when I came back it says it was downloading Windows 10!  I cancelled the download, and shortly thereafter I got another dialog box  telling me Microsoft recommended Windows 10 and asked me when I wanted to upgrade!

DAMN YOU, Microsoft.

Oddly enough after I made that last post my New PC did the same thing when I went to shut it down last night! As soon as I saw it was updating to W10 and said "Do not shut down your computer" I Did just that! I restarted out of the DOS type screen where I chose Start Windows Normally and my W7 was OK. I don't remember clicking OK on any Update so I checked the Updates Folder and it said 1 Recommended and 1 Optional which was the W10 update so I made sure Both were Unchecked. Somehow it snuck one in on me. I'll go over it when I get home later and make sure Nothing gets Updated Automatically.

Bastards!

Edited by Bartman

Took Windows Update KB3035583 out of the PC & both laptops and the W10 pop ups Including the Scheduled Install are Gone since. Leaving Windows Update OFF for now. Not worried about Viruses and such with Panda & Malwarebytes I run every week. W10 is supposed to go Retail and no longer Free on July 29. After that I'll turn WU back on and maybe they won't keep trying to force it on me. We'll see.

We got a new Tiny Lenovo W10 "Think Box" and monitor at work and I stuck it on a side table.  I guess it's like a minimotherboard and a laptop sized drive. It's only good for Email & the Internet. None of our legacy DOS based programs are on it and I haven't a clue how much space is even on its hard drive either. We only have one printer and that's still hooked to the Main PC so we can't print with it either unless I get some 2way or Y cable for it. The new Cyberpower rig I got for myself at home in Feb has W7Pro. I don't like the way anything looks on 10. I like my little Icons running around the edges of my screen where I want them and getting into my files and all like I've been doing since W95. Both my laptops run W7 too. I don't want any Tiles, just don't like the way it looks. If I ever Have to go to 10 in the future, I'd have to get that "Classic Shell" mod or something like that.  

Edited by Bartman

We got a new Tiny Lenovo W10 "Think Box" and monitor at work and I stuck it on a side table.  I guess it's like a minimotherboard and a laptop sized drive. It's only good for Email & the Internet. None of our legacy DOS based programs are on it and I haven't a clue how much space is even on its hard drive either. We only have one printer and that's still hooked to the Main PC so we can't print with it either unless I get some 2way or Y cable for it. The new Cyberpower rig I got for myself at home in Feb has W7Pro. I don't like the way anything looks on 10. I like my little Icons running around the edges of my screen where I want them and getting into my files and all like I've been doing since W95. Both my laptops run W7 too. I don't want any Tiles, just don't like the way it looks. If I ever Have to go to 10 in the future, I'd have to get that "Classic Shell" mod or something like that.  

And tell those darn kids to get off your lawn! :D

And tell those darn kids to get off your lawn! :D

You oughta see the Websites that I have to use with my Co and one of my largest customers! They have to go back 20yrs and entering the Data I have to put in is a complete Chore! On one of ours the navigation is Byzantine at best, not intuitive at all, back and forth, back and forth. If you're with some high flying Tech outfit Fine. But down here where they don't want to spend an extra Penny on Anything, it's Horrible. And God help you if you have to go back in later and Change anything. I think that requires an Act of Congress.