Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pahunter

Win 10

56 posts in this topic

You oughta see the Websites that I have to use with my Co and one of my largest customers! They have to go back 20yrs and entering the Data I have to put in is a complete Chore! On one of ours the navigation is Byzantine at best, not intuitive at all, back and forth, back and forth. If you're with some high flying Tech outfit Fine. But down here where they don't want to spend an extra Penny on Anything, it's Horrible. And God help you if you have to go back in later and Change anything. I think that requires an Act of Congress.

You really don't need to be with a "high flying tech outfit" to understand that if the company is worried about getting their legacy DOS programs to work they are probably penny wise and pound foolish in the technology department. I say that as I am sitting in an office that still uses a cobol based order fulfillment system and even we don't have any legacy DOS programs anymore. As to checking the hard drive, I don't think that has changed since Win95. Right click on the drive and select properties.

Edited by Rael

You really don't need to be with a "high flying tech outfit" to understand that if the company is worried about getting their legacy DOS programs to work they are probably penny wise and pound foolish in the technology department. I say that as I am sitting in an office that still uses a cobol based order fulfillment system and even we don't have any legacy DOS programs anymore. As to checking the hard drive, I don't think that has changed since Win95. Right click on the drive and select properties.

I know how to do that but they didn't even install the DOS programs on the W10 machine when they sent it to us so it's all but worthless to us except for Internet sites and Email. Everything's on the Old PC, Folders and Folders of Reports, Photos, Logs, Emails etc for the last 3 years. That's all I'm required to keep old files. I'm not gonna start moving all that stuff over to the new one. I can't even think of how long that would take even IF I had the right cables to link the two machines. We have something like two dozen or so locations across the US so everyone's in the same boat. Hell all the PCs they equipped us all with some 15yrs ago have been depreciated to Zero long ago. They've become accustomed to their equipment costs being Nothing for years and now they've got to start spending money. Penny Wise, Pound Foolish? Just say CHEAP!

Edited by Bartman

Quick question. I was just notified of the first major update for Win10. But when I went to do the update, I was warned that my USB wireless internet adapter would no longer work so I cancelled the update. 

What to do? I don't want any issues since everything is running good.

I guess it's a driver issue? Any way to get the adapter to work after the update? If I lose the adapter functionality, I will be internet-less unless a run a long ethernet to my wireless gateway.

Edited by Rob

Rob there seems to be a problem with this update and many USB devices. I would just hold off installing it until MS fixes it.

Will Windows 10 be fixed/replaced?

Edited by Daan

The "No Help" Desk.

Just last week, our IT dept sent us an email & link to install some software on our Main office PC running XP. This PC is so old because 2 programs we use for one of our Primary customers at This location are DOS based and won't work on W10. The Email said installation was Mandatory, no exceptions. Well it locked up and Killed it. Well that left us crippled as ALL our files, reports, photos, our monthly billing and whatever for All of our customers were on That PC. There is no backup. I had to FedEx the PC to the "No Help" desk. So for the last few days, I've been using this little Lenovo "Think Box" running 10 which is basically no good for much of anything except Email and access to our Web based services.

Right away I saw how much W10 just Sucks! I've been running my own PCs and office machines since W95 and am well used to handling my files and Email with no problems for some 20 years. What the F are all these buttons on top of W10 mail? I don't need all this Crap! AND when I try to save stuff, the stuff there opens up differently and I have to see where I'm putting stuff. I don't want to have to learn how to use a PC all over again after using them easily the way I want for 20+ years!

So now they've sent us this goofy little XP laptop and luckily I see they saved all our reports, files & pics and everything off the Old machine and I can copy them to this little Lenovo POS but I still have to run 10. AND we'll have to use this little laptop for our old DOS Legacy programs. So I'm not Totally crippled right now but I've got a lot of work ahead of me the next couple of days. Now. I'm gonna ask the No Help Desk if I can install Classic Shell on the "Think Box" but I bet they'll say NO so I'm still gonna have to learn how to do everything all over again when things Used to run perfectly well for years.

Productivity, HAHAHAHA!!!!!!