Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SemiAuto

Hand of God.

12 posts in this topic

I've started watching this Amazon series staring Ron Pearlman and Dana Delany. It is a bit of a slow moving drama about a corrupt judge who 'found god' and believes he is receiving His word via his comatose son (who tried to commit suicide). Throw in some whacky family members, and corrupt business partners, and a con-man of a preacher, and a seriously, violently disturbed disciple and the show absolutely wanders all over the place. The plot moves slowly because it has more twists than a box of snakes. Then again, considering every character pretty much is a snake of some variety, it still works.

Highlight: any of the parts with Garrett Dillahunt playing the psychotic disciple. He is really nailing the part.

Lowlight: why do Judge Harris' (Pearlman) corrupt business partners care that Harris is going off the deep end? It is not like they are on the up and up themselves. It even seems to be public knowledge that Judge Harris is corrupt but nobody dares to do anything about it.

Edited by SemiAuto

I watched the first episode with my son last night.  What drew us to the series is that we both like Ron Pearlman.  In the past we found him to be the best part of some pretty crappy shows and movies.  Anyway, it was interesting but kind of all over the place. I'll probably watch a few more episodes to see if I can get into it, but right now I can't figure where int he hell its going. 

Garrett Dillahunt should win an emmy for best supporting actor. Without getting into the details, his character in ep5 turned the creepiness up to 11.

I finished watching the whole show. I'll stick with my earlier description. The show has more plot twists than a box of snakes but that is because pretty much every character is a snake of some sort. This does create pacing problems as each show advances each plot only a little bit because there are so many of them.

A bit of a spoiler: they left some of the plots unresolved or partially resolved to make me think that they're holding out for a second season. I think they deserve a second season but they should streamline the show some. There is a bit too much going on.

Season 2 is out.

In most ways it is better than season one. It focuses better on a single plot line to drive the story. This relegates a lot of the ensemble cast to supporting roles but it works better this way.

The show is now more of 'who done it' then a scattered drama about too many characters. It also has a lot of twists about whether or not Pernell Harris (Perlman) is talking to god. It also has some good stuff about Chrystal Harris (Delaney) and how far down the path of revenge she is willing to go.

All in all the second season was a great improvement over the first. The acting and production were top notch and the story was more concise. The very end of the finale sets up a season three which sadly won't be made.

Edited by SemiAuto