hst2

AL closes drivers licenses bureaus in areas that are majority Black

83 posts in this topic

Alabama might as well just send an invitation to the Justice Department. Come on in guys. Come on down. No need to reply with an RSVP. Because we know you'll be here. How could you resist? Because Alabama just took a giant step backward.

Take a look at the 10 Alabama counties with the highest percentage of non-white registered voters. That's Macon, Greene, Sumter, Lowndes, Bullock, Perry, Wilcox, Dallas, Hale, and Montgomery, according to the Alabama Secretary of State's office. Alabama, thanks to its budgetary insanity and inanity, just opted to close driver license bureaus in eight of them. All but Dallas and Montgomery will be closed.

Closed. In a state in which driver licenses or special photo IDs are a requirement for voting.

It's not just a civil rights violation. It is not just a public relations nightmare. It is not just an invitation for worldwide scorn and an alarm bell to the Justice Department. It is an affront to the very notion of justice in a nation where one man one vote is as precious as oxygen. It is a slap in the face to all who believe the stuff we teach the kids about how all are created equal.

Every single county in which blacks make up more than 75 percent of registered voters will see their driver license office closed. Every one."

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/09/alabama_sends_message_we_are_t.html

This is a move by a desperate party unable to win except by cheating. 

Alabama sends message: We are too broke to care about right and wrong

How can that be in a red state?

Step 1: Demand licensing to vote

Step 2: Shut down licensing
Step 3: Win elections

There are people here who thought demanding a license was harmless, just another hoop to jump through for your rights. Those people are idiots and should wise up.

BINGO!!!!!!!

Step 1: Demand licensing to vote

Step 2: Shut down licensing

Step 3: Win elections

There are people here who thought demanding a license was harmless, just another hoop to jump through for your rights. Those people are idiots and should wise up.

Exactly!!!

Orwell tell you that? B)

Yeah, except for the majority of seats in the House, Senate and Governor's mansions around the country...but other than that. ???? You too much ????????

Edited by Brohan

Yeah, except for the marority of seats and the House, Senate and Governor's mansions around the country...but other than that. You too much

Shhhhhh, don't tell him the facts. :D

Shhhhhh, don't tell him the facts. :D

Not winning a popular vote in a presidential election but once since 1988 must be a cause for some concern.

And nothing like a little insurance though, huh?

Edited by hst2

Yeah, except for the majority of seats in the House, Senate and Governor's mansions around the country...but other than that. ???? You too much ????????

So you're OK with this?

Budget cuts. Somebody has to make the tough choices. I love it how the right always refers to screwing the needy and minorities, the people with the least political power, as making the "tough choices".

You're a party seeing your base is shrinking. What do you do?

Do you look inward and try to address the reasons why?

Hell no! Stack the deck.

The obvious problem being that's a bandaid.

Alabama might as well just send an invitation to the Justice Department. Come on in guys. Come on down. No need to reply with an RSVP. Because we know you'll be here. How could you resist? Because Alabama just took a giant step backward.

Take a look at the 10 Alabama counties with the highest percentage of non-white registered voters. That's Macon, Greene, Sumter, Lowndes, Bullock, Perry, Wilcox, Dallas, Hale, and Montgomery, according to the Alabama Secretary of State's office. Alabama, thanks to its budgetary insanity and inanity, just opted to close driver license bureaus in eight of them. All but Dallas and Montgomery will be closed.

Closed. In a state in which driver licenses or special photo IDs are a requirement for voting.

It's not just a civil rights violation. It is not just a public relations nightmare. It is not just an invitation for worldwide scorn and an alarm bell to the Justice Department. It is an affront to the very notion of justice in a nation where one man one vote is as precious as oxygen. It is a slap in the face to all who believe the stuff we teach the kids about how all are created equal.

Every single county in which blacks make up more than 75 percent of registered voters will see their driver license office closed. Every one."

hst2, I share your concern over this and thank you for bringing it here.  I hope you will track this for us and I will try to remember to bump this occasionally.

http://www.citylab.com/politics/2015/10/what-effect-will-shuttering-alabama-dmv-offices-have-on-black-voters/408571/

“Analyzing transactions performed in each location throughout the state revealed the combined efforts of the 31 part-time satellite locations accounted for less than five percent of all Alabama Driver License transactions performed by ALEA,” reads a press release on the closings. “The busiest of these 31 satellite locations performed less than 2,000 transactions during 2014.”

The DMV closings are bad enough that Alabama native son and fervent pro-voter-ID politician Artur Davis has said that they don’t sit well even with him.

"I have always conditioned my support for Voter IDs on a simple standard: They ought to be easy to obtain and readily accessible,” Davis told CityLab. “In fact, the state ought to provide an opportunity to obtain an ID at every county courthouse."

That’s logical. And if a civil rights lawsuit is for certain—well, Davis is a lawyer.

http://www.citylab.com/politics/2015/10/what-effect-will-shuttering-alabama-dmv-offices-have-on-black-voters/408571/

“Analyzing transactions performed in each location throughout the state revealed the combined efforts of the 31 part-time satellite locations accounted for less than five percent of all Alabama Driver License transactions performed by ALEA,” reads a [/size]press release on the closings. “The busiest of these 31 satellite locations performed less than 2,000 transactions during 2014.”[/size]

The DMV closings are bad enough that Alabama native son and fervent [/size]pro-voter-ID politician Artur Davis has said that they don’t sit well even with him.[/size]

"I have always conditioned my support for Voter IDs on a simple standard: They ought to be easy to obtain and readily accessible,” Davis told CityLab. “In fact, the state ought to provide an opportunity to obtain an ID at every county courthouse."

That’s logical. And if a civil rights lawsuit is for certain—well, Davis is a lawyer.

Democracy is simply too expense.

Budget cuts. Somebody has to make the tough choices. I love it how the right always refers to screwing the needy and minorities, the people with the least political power, as making the "tough choices".

Budget cuts wasn't the reason in Montgomery county.  Alledgely it is to offer geographic diversity.  Although I don't understand how it makes sense to close the most used early voting site.

As far as Alabama it is my understanding that those sites will still be able to issue ID cards and renew liscences just not conduct drivers exams.  If this is the case sadly there will be no grounds to fight this with the VRA.  Also I have not seen an article to talk about the data of those counties as far as population.  

Budget cuts wasn't the reason in Montgomery county. Alledgely it is to offer geographic diversity. Although I don't understand how it makes sense to close the most used early voting site.

As far as Alabama it is my understanding that those sites will still be able to issue ID cards and renew liscences just not conduct drivers exams. If this is the case sadly there will be no grounds to fight this with the VRA. Also I have not seen an article to talk about the data of those counties as far as population.

What does "geographic diversity" mean? More Republicans, less Democrats?

I believe you are misinformed with regard to Alabama's situation.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/09/state_says_closing_driver_lice.html

Edited by hst2

What does "geographic diversity" mean? More Republicans, less Democrats?

I believe you are misinformed with regard to Alabama's situation.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/09/state_says_closing_driver_lice.html

As explained in the post article on the MOCO closings was they wanted early voting locations that are spread out more.  I had heard the Alabama situation was only the test people but if it is the office that is a different story!

DOJ inbound on Alabama. I don't see how this ends well for the state unless they keep offices open.

As explained in the post article on the MOCO closings was they wanted early voting locations that are spread out more.  I had heard the Alabama situation was only the test people but if it is the office that is a different story!

Why not have both?

The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency announced today that driver license examiners will no longer work at 31 part-time satellite offices not owned by the state.

The 31 satellite locations handle less than 5 percent of driver license transactions, according to ALEA.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/09/state_announces_to_close_becau.html#incart_river_home

The OP breathlessly makes it sound like those poor black people in only those eight counties will be affected.  What about the other 22 counties that are having their privately owned satellite locations closed?

http://media.fyre.co/rlAGnIvARwiDrjcN2TVN_OBe7Y22.png

Bay Minette – 60% white

Centreville – 72% white

Union Springs – 72% black

Greenville – 55% black

Lafayette – 69% black

Centre – 87% white

Butler – 71% white

Ashland – 71% white

Heflin – 87% white

Rockford – 65% white

Luverne – 70% white