Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thirteen

The Offseason Prediction Thread

65 posts in this topic

I want to know why in the world DD is talking about trading for pitchers when there is a glut on the market (and many won't cost a pick). Does he realize that we have one of the worst ranked farm systems in MLB? Comments like that give me zero faith in this organization. That and our ability to evaluate pitching and develop it.

I think that part of this is slightly where he is at. If he can trade away a guy like Gonzalez or Tillman, it frees up salary for a better pitcher.

Realistically, this is one of the better FA pitching offseassons that I've seen in a while.

He could over haul 2/3rds of the starting staff for under 35 mil, if he wanted to.

If I were him, I would also look to see what kind of market there is for UJ. That's more salary relief and he is rid of a streaky pitcher.

If he can trade two of those guys, that is 20 mil that frees up for one of the better FA pitchers, like Samardzija or even Zimmermann (imo) and maybe one or two others like Kaz and Latos.

Then they go for Upton and another OF.

Houston's Colby Rasmus has reportedly become the first player to accept a qualifying offer. Not exactly Curt Flood-esque, but a first is a first, I suppose.

Houston's Colby Rasmus has reportedly become the first player to accept a qualifying offer. Not exactly Curt Flood-esque, but a first is a first, I suppose.

Houston gambled and lost. I guess they thought his Oct HR torrent was going to propel him to the top of the FA market. The guy had a regular year, by his standards, and they offered to double his salary. I'm certain their thinking was, he'll never accept, and we'll gain a free draft pick. Smart man, Colby.  

I think that part of this is slightly where he is at. If he can trade away a guy like Gonzalez or Tillman, it frees up salary for a better pitcher.

Realistically, this is one of the better FA pitching offseassons that I've seen in a while.

He could over haul 2/3rds of the starting staff for under 35 mil, if he wanted to.

If I were him, I would also look to see what kind of market there is for UJ. That's more salary relief and he is rid of a streaky pitcher.

If he can trade two of those guys, that is 20 mil that frees up for one of the better FA pitchers, like Samardzija or even Zimmermann (imo) and maybe one or two others like Kaz and Latos.

Then they go for Upton and another OF.

Ha! No chance we get ZImmerman, none. That would be awesome, but please..no way. I do like your analysis. I think (and hope) Ubaldo is gone. I have seen enough there and I think there is still value, particularly in the AL Central, for his services.

Upton is a dream as well I think. I do think Samardzija is a strong possibility.

If the Orioles can't get someone off the day-old rack at Mars, they aren't interested.

I think (and hope) Ubaldo is gone. I have seen enough there and I think there is still value, particularly in the AL Central, for his services.

I don't think he'll be moved. Even though his $13M in 2016 & $13.5 in 2017 are in line with the market, I think GMs will go with a FA option. UJ has shown who he is. There aren't any other DD's out there, who think they're getting an ace on the cheap (which is what DD thought he was getting). By choosing a comparable FA option, a team looking for a starter, won't have to part with a single prospect. I doubt any team takes on his full salary. Not because he's being overpaid, but because everyone recognizes that the O's want to move him. No other team is going to aid them, when they can dicker down the price, or move on. And the O's won't get anything more than a salary dump, if they don't eat some of his $$$. And the owner doesn't like to eat money.     

As long as Ageloser is the owner he won't do crap to make this team better. I don't know why Buck Showalter sticks around for getting crappy players. Buck deserves better than this. Without Showalter this team would have finished at the bottom last season. 

As long as Ageloser is the owner he won't do crap to make this team better. I don't know why Buck Showalter sticks around for getting crappy players. Buck deserves better than this. Without Showalter this team would have finished at the bottom last season. 

Buck has a great deal of influence on the development of the org., influence that goes beyond the norms of most field manager jobs. He has job security too. And he's been really successful here, especially in the context of how the O's had performed over the previous 15 years. I'm guessing these variables provide a positive work environment for him. I'm sure there are other teams that could provide an easier path to success. But there are also others that wouldn't be more difficult to succeed with. 

With approx. 57 mil committed to Jones, Hardy, Jimenez and Wieters for 2016, it really looks like a bare bones off-season.  We have holes at both corner OF, need starting pitching and another bullpen arm to replace O'Day.  We would be very lucky to get Parra back.  Then I think we are looking at guys like Jim Johnsom, Haap, Fister, Jaso, Gomes and Chris Young.  I think the lesson is that we have major dollars committed to three guys who are 30 or older and in decline.  The Royals would never be in such a bind that's why the are champions and we are chumps.  They are committing dollars to their young studs while DD sits on his hands with Machado Schoop.and Britton.  Lets play the arbitration game and spin the bottle.

Did we lose ODay already?

Not officially. But he is gone. Big boys are out fishing for him while DD is wading around in the kiddy pool. DD will be more than content to cheaply fill the set up role with Brach, Givens and the soon to be signed Jim Johnson. But you know we signed our key FA Matt Wieters, so its OK.

Did we lose ODay already?

Not officially. But he is gone. Big boys are out fishing for him while DD is wading around in the kiddy pool. DD will be more than content to cheaply fill the set up role with Brach, Givens and the soon to be signed Jim Johnson. But you know we signed our key FA Matt Wieters, so its OK.

OOPS :D

Everyone who costs actual money will be gone, and in 3 years, so will Machado.

1B will be Ryan Howard.

The team will return to the dark ages of Orioles baseball, when 66 wins, dwindling attendance, and failed draft picks were the Oriole way. I hope everyone enjoyed the ride, because it's going to be another extended rebuilding process.

This is EXACTLY what I was afraid of, and why I never really bought the team's success. When you don't behave like a winner, acquire and develop talent like a winner, and show urgency like a winner, you don't win for very long.

OOPS again :D

Davis is not coming back

Oops one more time :D