GOOCH

Edsall fired

42 posts in this topic

Personally, I never like it (but I understand why) when a head coach is fired in the middle of the season. Forget what you think about the coach, it certainly doesn't help the student athletes, all of whom were recruited by that coach, moral and mental attitude.

Some may be happy to see him go, while others may have been very close...and now have to wonder about their future at Maryland.

There's no perfect time, especially when recruiting the next class is looming....but I just think in the middle of the year has got to be very disruptive on the players.

this isn't 1950... College football is a billion dollar business. Seeing their coach canned is a good lesson for those about to enter the real world.

A suddenly available Steve Spurrier would be a sweet get and fitting landing spot for the old ball coach.

There has been a lot of talk about the lack of recruits from the area by Edsall since his firing. Tom Lemming on The Fan just said if you could get 80% of the players from the DMV area you would have a top 10 recruiting class every year. He said MD is a hotbed nationally because programs know they can come here and get players because they aren't going to MD.

Maryland isn't known for football. It's doubtful a new coach will change that. Particularly when you're a prospective recruit knowing you're going to get hammered on a regular basis by the big boys in the B1G. No coach is going to come here and get 80% of the DMV

MD couldn't have screwed this position up any worse if they tried.  From giving Franklin the HCIW tag, to firing Ralph after he won ACC COY, to passing up Leech to hire Edsall - they made the wrong choice every step of the way. 

Anderson is a clown, and I predict he'll screw the pooch with this replacement as well, unless Plank tells him who to hire.

Agreed entirely.

As for the next head coach, my top choices would be Pelini, Schiano, and Reich.

Who wants Spurrier at this point. He's 70 years old.

Yeah, sure Phil Knight will ok that. He will re-land at either USC before he visits MD. He probably can't even come back to college football as part of whatever deal he agreed to to keep Oregon from sanction hell and 'go try his offense in the NFL'.

You sure have your finger on the pulse of college football.

Why would you think Phil Knight would have any recourse over Chip Kelly's choice of schools? That makes less sense than your avatar. As for 'probably can't even come back'? He was given an 18 month show cause in June, 2013. Now, I don't know how many months are in a year in your world, but in MY world (see avatar), it's been almost 28 months since his penalty.

Edited by EnochRoot

You kidding? ......

Edsall should have been fired long ago instead they extended his contract and then fired him guaranteeing him more than 2 million in 2015 and 2016 .....

He should be thanking his lucky stars ....

I agree with almost everything in this thread. The University, and the Athletic Director for that matter have screwed this from the point in which they decided to fire Ralph. Who do they think Maryland is? This is not Ohio State, Penn State, Alabama, etc? Winning 8+ games almost every year is a success for this school that is well know for being a basketball school. Some would argue that Ralph got MD to a point where they were ready for the next step. A coach that could recruit and get them into being a relevant Conference title contender each and every year. And while I can certainly understand that argument, I would still come back to MD is not and will never be a national powerhouse in Football. 

So you fire the coach that brought you year in and year out success in hopes of moving the program forward. If you do that you need to hit on your hire. They settled for someone who had success in a conference that is even worst then the ACC. Edsall is a good coach if he is in the right situation. Maryland is not it for him. Now they want to hire this big name guy who is going to turn everything around. I have news for you Maryland... NO ONE who would be considered that wants to come to Maryland to coach. As a life long University of Maryland fan I can't believe how badly they have screwed this up. Ralph was fired because he wasn't Kevin Anderson's guy and that is it. Shameful.

And as far as my actual real reason for replying on this... I could be wrong but I believe this person was just trying to get across the point on how badly UMD handled the entire situation. Leaking the firing to the media. Having him coach a game that you know he has no business in coaching. If you had already made the decision then why take him to OSU? Made absolutely no sense to put him through that. Just another screwed up decision by the brass at the University. And we are supposed to have faith in them in picking another coach? 

Edited by beall02

I agree with almost everything in this thread. The University, and the Athletic Director for that matter have screwed this from the point in which they decided to fire Ralph. Who do they think Maryland is? This is not Ohio State, Penn State, Alabama, etc? Winning 8+ games almost every year is a success for this school that is well know for being a basketball school. Some would argue that Ralph got MD to a point where they were ready for the next step. A coach that could recruit and get them into being a relevant Conference title contender each and every year. And while I can certainly understand that argument, I would still come back to MD is not and will never be a national powerhouse in Football.

So you fire the coach that brought you year in and year out success in hopes of moving the program forward. If you do that you need to hit on your hire. They settled for someone who had success in a conference that is even worst then the ACC. Edsall is a good coach if he is in the right situation. Maryland is not it for him. Now they want to hire this big name guy who is going to turn everything around. I have news for you Maryland... NO ONE who would be considered that wants to come to Maryland to coach. As a life long University of Maryland fan I can't believe how badly they have screwed this up. Ralph was fired because he wasn't Kevin Anderson's guy and that is it. Shameful.

And as far as my actual real reason for replying on this... I could be wrong but I believe this person was just trying to get across the point on how badly UMD handled the entire situation. Leaking the firing to the media. Having him coach a game that you know he has no business in coaching. If you had already made the decision then why take him to OSU? Made absolutely no sense to put him through that. Just another screwed up decision by the brass at the University. And we are supposed to have faith in them in picking another coach?

Let me guess, you hated the old AD Yow too right?

The move had to be made watching some games it was so discombobulated they would look great one play and then look like a high school team. Wish coach edsall good luck in his future job search.

Let me guess, you hated the old AD Yow too right?

coming from someone who longs for the Brian Billick days.

Nice to hear from the Ronnie Prude fan club. What happened to your Nationals this year?

I can't believe anyone would defend Anderson's record (or Yow's for that matter). 

And said that Derrick Anderson was a top 5, elite nfl qb .....

And said that Derrick Anderson was a top 5, elite nfl qb .....

Who said that?

Who said that?[/quote

You did Jaz or Kevlar or whatever you were going by then ........

Edited by Eastside Terp

Who said that?[/quote

You did Jaz or Kevlar or whatever you were going by then ........

Not me chief.