demopublican

Baltimore man killed by cowardly thugs

56 posts in this topic

On 6/12/2017 at 11:32 AM, Guido2 said:

I know Brim was charged with first degree. But at what level? I am guessing not at a felony level?

I have a reason for asking before I go on.

Is there such a thing as a non-felony first degree murder?

2 hours ago, Thirteen said:

Is there such a thing as a non-felony first degree murder?

As I understand it, you can be charged at the city, county and state levels with First degree murder. It is only when it is tried at the Federal Level does it become a felony. I  am sure that posters such as AugusteD. have a better answer.

Edited by Guido2

17 hours ago, Guido2 said:

As I understand it, you can be charged at the city, county and state levels with First degree murder. It is only when it is tried at the Federal Level does it become a felony. I  am sure that posters such as AugusteD. have a better answer.

Maryland Criminal Law §2-201

(b)(1)A person who commits a murder in the first degree is guilty of a felony ...

3 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

Thank you for clarifying that. Guess I am still running on old NJ laws when I was a cop.

However....then how come the only time I see felony charges applied to an MD crime it is only when the Feds are involved.....ohhh let me guess....the prosecutors don't go with that. :rolleyes:

Further, since felonies apply in MD without the Feds....say they do.some as Felonies in MD on their own....then........can you explain why then the very last section of the laws ...that is LIFE IMPRISIONMENT NO PAROLE.......this is not applied.....ohhhh let me guess....to heavy a lift for the prosecutors.

But thanks again for setting my straight about Felonies in MD.

44 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Thank you for clarifying that. Guess I am still running on old NJ laws when I was a cop.

However....then how come the only time I see felony charges applied to an MD crime it is only when the Feds are involved.....ohhh let me guess....the prosecutors don't go with that. :rolleyes:

Further, since felonies apply in MD without the Feds....say they do.some as Felonies in MD on their own....then........can you explain why then the very last section of the laws ...that is LIFE IMPRISIONMENT NO PAROLE.......this is not applied.....ohhhh let me guess....to heavy a lift for the prosecutors.

But thanks again for setting my straight about Felonies in MD.

You keep talking in absolutes.  I'm sure there will be a lot of guys in Maryland prisons, even those convicted in Baltimore City, who will be happy to find out they are not really felons and don't really have life without parole.

Edited by Baltimatt

1 hour ago, Baltimatt said:

You keep talking in absolutes.  I'm sure there will be a lot of guys in Maryland prisons, even those convicted in Baltimore City, who will be happy to find out they are not really felons and don't really have life without parole.

Yes I do....but not in all things.

Guess it is my computer background. Binary thinking 0 or 1 ...off or on.... wrong or right In a lot of things. Especially when it comes to crime.

The gray area's give me a headache. :D