eaglesinsider

St. Frances Rumors?

918 posts in this topic

Tell you the truth never even thought about that pretty good idea. Hearing noise about Pallotti wanting to make the jump also.

Jump to the A conf?? According to max preps they only won 2 games in the B conf and that was against the 2 worst teams

Jump to the A conf?? According to max preps they only won 2 games in the B conf and that was against the 2 worst teams

I hear but everybody has dreams an big plans

They can still play McD...can even move that to Thanksgiving

I have always said this was a great idea. Morning and afternoon games the way it used to be when City - Poly played on Thanksgiving. It was even mentioned that there could be other MIAA rivalry games that week.

Edited by fylde5

You couldn't be more wrong with the St. Frances rumor. They aren't going anywhere. Obviously they need major changes in their football program which could be happening now.

My question is, after saying McD was irrelevant numerous times this year, including the pre-season, after the Mallard Creek loss, and capitalized with the Mt St Joe loss, did the Eagles become relevant just before the Gilman game? I'll hang up.

Where did I say that McD was relevant before the Gilman game? Stop thinking, you might hurt your self.

None of the B-Conference schools want to play McD or Gilman on their schedule...particularly Gilman. Honestly, I think if O'Connell drops out of the WCAC...Gilman should join them. They can still play McD...can even move that to Thanksgiving

Gilman and McDonogh don't want to play football that late. Gilman is neither in the Washington area or CATHOLIC, so they're not joining the WCAC!

Let's stay on the SFA topic please. I wanna know why there are rumors spreading about SFA dropping football.

Gilman and McDonogh don't want to play football that late. Gilman is neither in the Washington area or CATHOLIC, so they're not joining the WCAC!

Gilman and MCDONOGH were a part of a playoffs before. Why wouldn't they want it

Let's stay on the SFA topic please. I wanna know why there are rumors spreading about SFA dropping football.

Gilman and MCDONOGH were a part of a playoffs before. Why wouldn't they want it

Playoffs that were over before Thanksgiving. Would they make an exception if there was a total private school playoff, sure but that would be the only reason. They're not doing it just to do it.

Don't have enough bodies to fill out Winter teams, who start games BEFORE Thanksgiving. Gilman has at least 5 kids who play on the basketball team, including two starters.

Playoffs that were over before Thanksgiving. Would they make an exception if there was a total private school playoff, sure but that would be the only reason. They're not doing it just to do it.

Don't have enough bodies to fill out Winter teams, who start games BEFORE Thanksgiving. Gilman has at least 5 kids who play on the basketball team, including two starters.

Gilman won't be a basketball power, so I say go for it. Other schools have done it. Rodney Elliot played Football and basketball in November.

Sounds like this is the part where yet another topic turns to Gilman....   :rolleyes:

Makes sense. Most of the B conf school do not, or cannot, invest as much money into the football program to where they could compete week in, week out, in the A conf.

Rawlings has made it clear he is willing to bankroll JC to the A conf

St Paul's, BL, St Mary's, all probably put more money out than half of the A conference schools. Pallotti recruits heavily, we all know about JC. Severn IMO has money so that leaves Curley who has been competing with A conference schools for years

St Paul's, BL, St Mary's, all probably put more money out than half of the A conference schools. Pallotti recruits heavily, we all know about JC. Severn IMO has money so that leaves Curley who has been competing with A conference schools for years

I agree, the schools you mentioned have plenty of money. But I dont think they all invest their money heavily in football, if they did. They would get better players and be better teams. STP and BL have chosen to instead attempt to be basketball powers because it costs alot less seeing how you can be very competitive with 3 or 4 good players.

The main difference between the a/b conf IMO is size and depth. Stars for the most part are just as quality, facilities are the same and there is no difference in coaching. Alot of these b conf schools can play an a conf school tough one week out of their entire season. However if they grinded out an entire season in the A conf it would be a different story bc of injuries. The 12th best off/def player on an a conf team could start on pretty much any b conf team. The backups in the A conf are way better than the backups in the B conf and over an entire season that would take its toll on their win/loss record.

Edited by Dblock34

Please explain to me again how so daunting it would be to play in the MIAA-A conference when the league play would be just 6 games and three would be against Saint Francis, Calvert Hall, and Loyola!!   Yes Spalding may be up and coming.  So that leaves Gilman, McDonogh, and Mount Saint Joe.  Are you telling me this is the great hurdle others just cannot survive?

Wait St Paul's has been very good and competitive for a while now. This was the first bad year in a long time. BL has put quite a bit into football.

Wait St Paul's has been very good and competitive for a while now. This was the first bad year in a long time. BL has put quite a bit into football.

again not saying they don't spend money on their football program, they do, and they have more where that came from. If you look at their A conf opponents the last couple years, they have both only played loyola, who has been in the bottom tier of the a conf. STP is 1-1 and BL got crushed by them this year. so either they aren't spending their money wisely, or, for some reason those schools would need to spend even MORE money than they already are to be competitve with the rest of the a conf, considering what they spend now can't even get them a win against a below average a conf foe

Here's what the MIAA B has done against the A Conference since 2004:

John Carroll (2-4)

- Calvert Hall (1-3)

- Loyola (1-1)

Boys' Latin (0-8)

- Mount Saint Joseph (0-1)

- Georgetown Prep (0-1)

- Loyola (0-2)

- McDonogh (0-2) 

- Gilman (0-2)

Archbishop Curley (4-8) (Curley was in the A Conference in 2005 so I did not include results from that season)

- Loyola (2-5)

- Calvert Hall (1-0)

- McDonogh (1-1)

- Mount Saint Joseph (0-2)

Severn (0-2)

- Loyola (0-1)

- McDonogh (0-1)

Pallotti (0-2)

- Calvert Hall (0-1) 

- Georgetown Prep (0-1)

Saint Mary's (0-11)

- Archbishop Spalding (0-4)

- Calvert Hall (0-1)

- Gilman (0-2)

- Georgetown Prep (0-4)

Saint Paul's (1-9)

- Loyola (1-1)

- Calvert Hall (0-1)

- Gilman (0-1)

- McDonogh (0-6)

Saint John's Catholic Prep (0-1)

- Gilman (0-1)

That's 7-45 in 11 seasons by my count. 5 of the 7 wins have come against CHC and Loyola since 2013. The MIAA A Conference teams to lose to B Conference teams weren't exactly top of the line. 2015 CHC (0-1 vs. MIAA B ) is 4-6, 2015 Loyola (1-1 vs. MIAA B )is 5-5, 2014 Loyola (1-1 vs. MIAA B ) was 4-7, 2013 Loyola (0-2 vs. MIAA B ) was 3-8, 2006 CHC (0-1 vs. MIAA B ) was 1-8 and 2008 McDonogh (1-1 vs. MIAA B ) was 4-6.

`

Edited by eaglesinsider

Can they just push basketball back a couple weeks. Seemed like they didn't play any games after the first 2 weeks in February when most other schools play into March. If they just started later it wouldn't interfere and Football obviously a lot more important than Basketball at Gilman.