Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SemiAuto

Ex Machina

6 posts in this topic

Saw this on Amazon Prime today. A slow moving sci-fi send up of Frankenstein with a twist. A recluse creates an AI and picks an employee from his company to test if the AI is actually self aware. But who is really testing who? While the movie is slow moving and mostly moved by dialog, the story is also very visual as almost everything you see relates to something in the plot. It makes it very captivating to watch. The director, Alex Garland, gets a gold star for pulling this off. It stars Domhnall Gleeson, Oscar Issac, and Alicia Vikander.

I enjoyed it for the most part ~ but it really was very slow~moving and should have been shortened. It was very predictable but the effects were nice to see. The reclusive creator had no redeeming characteristics and was totally obnoxious right from the start. Making the companion AI Asian seemed more than a little stereotypically racist.

Saw it a while ago. Slow? It absolutely Dragged! Must be some Euro thing to make a flick like that. I got thru it and the ending was surprising but it was almost Torture to get there. Guess you could call it Deep SF but I like things to move a bit faster and just get to it. Worth 1 watch, wouldn't repeat it.

One of my favorite movies of the year.

Oscar Isaac (Inside Llewyn Davis, A Most Violent Year) is fast becoming one of my favorite actors.