Name change coming to Byrd Stadium

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_slapshot_*

Guest_slapshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:31 PM

http://www.usatoday....onish/76973510/

There was a University-wide email on this.

#2 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:29 PM

I am opposed in principle to trying to rewrite history. Harry Byrd retired in 1954, just before our society began to raise awareness and change regarding racial segregation; he was nothing more than a product of his times. That is only a fraction of his legacy.

That said, if they can sign up some corporate entity to a lucrative naming rights deal, I would be in favor of that. Maybe Under Armor will step up to the plate. That would work.

#3 Guest_slapshot_*

Guest_slapshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:33 PM

I am opposed in principle to trying to rewrite history. Harry Byrd retired in 1954, just before our society began to raise awareness and change regarding racial segregation; he was nothing more than a product of his times. That is only a fraction of his legacy.

That said, if they can sign up some corporate entity to a lucrative naming rights deal, I would be in favor of that. Maybe Under Armor will step up to the plate. That would work.

Follow the $$. I think the racial excuse is a good attempt to change the name to some corporate sponsor.

I mean the powers that be must have known the history long before now.

Edited by slapshot, 08 December 2015 - 04:34 PM.

#4 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,495 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:32 PM

Follow the $$. I think the racial excuse is a good attempt to change the name to some corporate sponsor.

I mean the powers that be must have known the history long before now.

Bingo. The US college and university systems are as greedy an institution as there is.

#5 luthersomd

luthersomd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,396 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:02 PM

I hate to see history wiped out in order to get a big payday from corporate interests.  I  would bet that Mr. Plank is somewhere in the mix on this decision.  Harry Byrd was a product of his time.  Schools were segregated.  There were higher education colleges for blacks such as Bowie, Morgan, Coppin and Princess Anne.  Our people evolved over the years and found a better place for all of us.

But don't change our history!

#6 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,495 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:37 PM

I hate to see history wiped out in order to get a big payday from corporate interests. I would bet that Mr. Plank is somewhere in the mix on this decision. Harry Byrd was a product of his time. Schools were segregated. There were higher education colleges for blacks such as Bowie, Morgan, Coppin and Princess Anne. Our people evolved over the years and found a better place for all of us.

But don't change our history!

You can't change history.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users