Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest slapshot

Name change coming to Byrd Stadium

6 posts in this topic

I am opposed in principle to trying to rewrite history. Harry Byrd retired in 1954, just before our society began to raise awareness and change regarding racial segregation; he was nothing more than a product of his times. That is only a fraction of his legacy.

That said, if they can sign up some corporate entity to a lucrative naming rights deal, I would be in favor of that. Maybe Under Armor will step up to the plate. That would work.

I am opposed in principle to trying to rewrite history. Harry Byrd retired in 1954, just before our society began to raise awareness and change regarding racial segregation; he was nothing more than a product of his times. That is only a fraction of his legacy.

That said, if they can sign up some corporate entity to a lucrative naming rights deal, I would be in favor of that. Maybe Under Armor will step up to the plate. That would work.

Follow the $$. I think the racial excuse is a good attempt to change the name to some corporate sponsor.

I mean the powers that be must have known the history long before now.

Edited by slapshot

Follow the $$. I think the racial excuse is a good attempt to change the name to some corporate sponsor.

I mean the powers that be must have known the history long before now.

Bingo. The US college and university systems are as greedy an institution as there is.

I hate to see history wiped out in order to get a big payday from corporate interests.  I  would bet that Mr. Plank is somewhere in the mix on this decision.  Harry Byrd was a product of his time.  Schools were segregated.  There were higher education colleges for blacks such as Bowie, Morgan, Coppin and Princess Anne.  Our people evolved over the years and found a better place for all of us.

But don't change our history!

I hate to see history wiped out in order to get a big payday from corporate interests. I would bet that Mr. Plank is somewhere in the mix on this decision. Harry Byrd was a product of his time. Schools were segregated. There were higher education colleges for blacks such as Bowie, Morgan, Coppin and Princess Anne. Our people evolved over the years and found a better place for all of us.

But don't change our history!

You can't change history.