tooldtocare

The end of the Fossil Fuel era is upon us so what are we going to do next-?

83 posts in this topic

At the mid-Atlantic ridge the seawater lava is a liquid at temperatures of 1,200 °C (1,292 to 2,192 °F). And yet it does not flash into steam because of the great pressure it is under.

If we drop a tube down to the superhot seawater and start sucking it up it will expand as the pressure becomes less until it turns into steam with no place to go but up. The steam can then be used to turn turbines creating all the electrical energy the human race will ever need.

China is joining France and Britain in announcing plans to end sales of gasoline and diesel cars.

China's industry ministry is developing a timetable to end production and sale of traditional fuel cars and will promote development of electric technology, state media on Sunday cited a Cabinet official as saying.

France and Britain announced in July they will stop sales of gasoline and diesel automobiles by 2040 as part of efforts to reduce pollution and carbon emissions that contribute to global warming.

Communist leaders also want to curb China's growing appetite for imported oil and see electric cars as a promising industry in which their country can take an early lead.

China passed the United States last year as the biggest electric car market. Sales of electrics and gasoline-electric hybrids rose 50 percent over 2015 to 336,000 vehicles, or 40 percent of global demand. U.S. sales totaled 159,620.

https://tinyurl.com/ycsg6xb6

I am not an eco-freak....but I do concerm myself with pollution and such. My viewpoint is that it took us a while to get in this mess and it will take a while to get out of it.

I think it is great that Britian and France are leaning toward electric cars. More power to them. No pun intended.

Many will think....well geee why isn't the US doing the same thing. Answer INFRASTRUCTURE.

Those countries got the crap bombed out of them during WW2 and much of the infrastructure had to be rebuilt from scratch. Making theirs only about 65 years old (yeah war ended it could be 71 I am allowing for rebuild). Versus ours that is how old???????????? The same could be held true for Japan.

Simple example; why do ALL THOSE COUNTRIES have wonderful on time modern trains? And we don't.

But what am I talking about???????? As soon as Trump gets all his infrastructure bills passed.....we will be right on track. :rolleyes::lol:

Both puns intended this time. :lol:

Edited by Guido2

Lemmee know when someone comes up with a Reactionless Drive..

Everybody needs to start using less fossil fuels--now.

3 hours ago, boink said:

Everybody needs to start using less fossil fuels--now.

Call your congressman and tell him you want a dozen nuke plants in your state to replace most of the coal.  Problem largely solved.  Putting in LEDs (I replaced two bulbs with LEDs today!) only slows the growth as our population swells and demand for energy grows.  

On 9/10/2017 at 11:45 AM, Guido2 said:

I am not an eco-freak....but I do concerm myself with pollution and such. My viewpoint is that it took us a while to get in this mess and it will take a while to get out of it.

I think it is great that Britian and France are leaning toward electric cars. More power to them. No pun intended.

Many will think....well geee why isn't the US doing the same thing. Answer INFRASTRUCTURE.

Those countries got the crap bombed out of them during WW2 and much of the infrastructure had to be rebuilt from scratch. Making theirs only about 65 years old (yeah war ended it could be 71 I am allowing for rebuild). Versus ours that is how old???????????? The same could be held true for Japan.

Simple example; why do ALL THOSE COUNTRIES have wonderful on time modern trains? And we don't.

But what am I talking about???????? As soon as Trump gets all his infrastructure bills passed.....we will be right on track. :rolleyes::lol:

Both puns intended this time. :lol:

What source of energy is tapped to recharge all those battery operated vehicles?

7 hours ago, volperdinger said:

What source of energy is tapped to recharge all those battery operated vehicles?

Tell me If I am reading you correctly.

I think what you maybe saying is......it is all well and good to have electric vehicles, however as ours (and Europes?) grid exist at the moment. Fossil fuels still have to be burned in one form or another? Due to the fact that power for the 'clean' batteries has to come from somewhere. And...although there are exceptions....re-newable is still in toddler stage for most countries/states (well except for Calif it seems good that way) and nuclear is a no no (well except for Japan)...which is ironic when you think about it.

So the bottom line is......either cars burn it or the plants burn it....so it is a wash? At least at this point in time?

Sidebar: I wish I could find the articles I read some time back about some drawbacks of electrics besides range and recharging.

They pointed out that besides the cost of purchase in general of most electric cars worth their salt. The is a hidden skeleton in the closet about electrics. That is the batteries....making them and eventually having to dispose of them...is a bio-hazard/polloutant hazard that no one talks about.....that an electric in that respect is almost as twice of bad as a conventional car to make and the pollutants it kicks out over the life of driving it.

So yeah.... you are driving nice and clean. However like anything there are no free lunches....in the case of electrics....the pollutants are worse....they are just on the front end and the back end of the cars lifespan.

Not the articles I was referring to....but a good read.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/hold-smugness-tesla-might-just-worse-environment-know/

Also an important point....the war in Afghanistan......REALLY. Guess who has the best source of lithium?

Edited by Guido2