tooldtocare

The end of the Fossil Fuel era is upon us so what are we going to do next-?

165 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

I don’t think you’re really grasping the sizing problem.  You mention UPS is looking at replacing the 170 vehicles that form the London fleet.  Just over five years ago, I used to socialize with the fleet manager for the Gaithersburg UPS site.  GAITHERSBURG.  He had nearly half the vehicles London is looking at refitting. In Gaithersburg.

The Eisenhower investment needs to be redone.  Water and sewer pipes in most major cities east of the Mississippi need to be replaced.  The electric grid is old, exposed and ridiculously undersized.  We need to get to fiber optics because copper is just too slow.  And changing to battery as a primary source further test the grid, but will compete with resources. Our military has been at war for a decade and a half and the equipment is tired, even as China is rising and Russia is led by a government guy who believes the fall of the USSR was a disaster.

We owe $20T and likely triple that in known liabilities. 

End the corporate tax cuts and raise taxes - and watch business head overseas.

We have to make choices JIM because we can’t do it all and something has to give.

The businesses will go where there are customers, a skilled workforce, and the infrastructure necessary to get the work done but otherwise I largely agree with your post. The Trump tax cut was horribly ill-advised for a number of reasons.

1) An expanding economy and dropping unemployment is a time when you should be paying down deficits and debt not adding to them.

and

2) We should have taken at least some of that money and used it for the very projects you have mentioned and/or built upon what the Obama administration was able to do to improve our aging electrical grid. Such investments would have direct stimulative effects on the economy.

Instead we blew up the budget. The larger deficits and increased debt will make it more difficult to have an appropriate response the next time we get a recession or a crisis. Furthermore, we should have used at least some of that money on the types of infrastructure projects that would make us a more competitive country economically.

Posted (edited)

41 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Most fail to realize that this point in time and for the near future that most electricity has and will have a smokestack in it's origination.

And most of the detractors fail to realize how quickly this equation is changing around the world and how ill-advised and self-defeating our drive to recreate the energy stream of the early 1970s really is.

Edited by JoyinMudville

Renewable sources of energy made a record contribution to US net electricity generation last year as the share of fossil fuels in the country's power sector continues its retreat.

The proportion of renewable energy, such as hydropower and solar PV, in the country's fuel basket mix rose to 17.1% last year, according to data released by the US Energy Information Administration. That's up from just 15% a year earlier.

Hydropower made up 7.5% of the total, wind power accounted for 6.3% while solar power comprised 1.3%. The remainder is comprised of biomass and geothermal power.

While the use of renewables in the power sector expanded, power generated from natural gas and coal slumped.

Coal-fired generation fell almost 8% year-on-year, down to 30.1%, according to EIA data. While gas' share in US power generation fell 2.5% year-on-year down to 31.7%.

http://www.petroleum-economist.com/articles/low-carbon-energy/renewables/2018/fossil-fuels-muscled-out-of-us-power-generation-mix-by-renewables

4 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

And most of the detractors fail to realize how quickly this equation is changing around the world and how ill-advised and self-defeating our drive to recreate the energy stream of the early 1970s really is.

Oh my god. Sorry, i forgot to note that note that your fantasy world believes that the current "energy stream" as you call t, began in the 1970's. :)

1 hour ago, JoyinMudville said:

Speaking of ignorance. If you want to be taken seriously avoid link to Koch funded, climate change denying, hack sites.

LOL.  So you have nothing to refute it.  Tell us (with a link) how much electric power is actually produced from fossil fuel, from nuclear, and from "renewables."  

50 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Most fail to realize that this point in time and for the near future that most electricity has and will have a smokestack in it's origination.

Exactly right.  And much of the rest is <shriek> nuclear.  

What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?

In 2017, about 4,015 billion kilowatthours (kWh) (or 4.01 trillion kWh) of electricity were generated at utility-scale facilities in the United States.1 About 63% of this electricity generation was from fossil fuels (coal, natural gas, petroleum, and other gases). About 20% was from nuclear energy, and about 17% was from renewable energy sources. The U.S. Energy Information Administration estimates that an additional 24 billion kWh of electricity generation was from small-scale solar photovoltaic systems in 2017.2

U.S. electricity generation by source, amount, and share of total in 20171
Energy source Billion kWh Share of total
Total - all sources 4,015  
Fossil fuels (total) 2,495 62.7%
  Natural gas 1,273 31.7%
  Coal 1,208 30.1%
  Petroleum (total)     21    0.5%
    Petroleum liquids     13    0.3%
    Petroleum coke      9    0.2%
  Other gases     14    0.4%
Nuclear    805   20.0%
Renewables (total)    687   17.1%
  Hydropower    300    7.5%
  Wind    254    6.3%
  Biomass (total)     64    1.6%
    Wood     43    1.1%
    Landfill gas     11    0.3%
    Municipal solid waste (biogenic)      7    0.2%
    Other biomass waste      3    0.1%
  Solar (total)     53    1.3%
    Photovoltaic     50    1.2%
    Solar thermal      3    0.1%
  Geothermal      16    0.4%
  Pumped storage hydropower3      -6    -0.2%
Other sources      13    0.3%

Posted (edited)

On 3/27/2018 at 7:01 AM, Baltimatt said:

You stole my idea!

Yes I know. I was born a thief, raised to be a thief and now I continue to thieve whatever I can.

Sorry, it's just a bad habit that I have to contend with.

Here, I give it back \:/

please forgive me (:-

Edited by tooldtocare

Posted (edited)

China Aims to Spend at Least $360 Billion on Renewable Energy by 2020

China intends to spend more than $360 billion through 2020 on renewable power sources like solar and wind, the government’s energy agency said on Thursday.

The country’s National Energy Administration laid out a plan to dominate one of the world’s fastest-growing industries, just at a time when the United States is set to take the opposite tack as Donald J. Trump, a climate-change doubter, prepares to assume the presidency.

The agency said in a statement that China would create more than 13 million jobs in the renewable energy sector by 2020, curb the growth of greenhouse gasses that contribute to global warming and reduce the amount of soot that in recent days has blanketed Beijing and other Chinese cities in a noxious cloud of smog.

China surpassed the United States a decade ago as the world’s biggest emitter of greenhouse gasses, and now discharges about twice as much. For years, its oil and coal industries prospered under powerful political patrons and the growth-above-anything mantra of the ruling Communist Party.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/world/asia/china-renewable-energy-investment.html

2017 China Electric Car Sales Blow World Out Of The Water — BAIC EC-Series Is A Superstar

The rise and rise of the Chinese plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) market is unstoppable, with yet another record performance in December. A total of 102,000 new passenger PEVs were registered last month, up 130% year over year. Yes, that was just December, and it pulled the year-to-date count to over 600,000 units, up 71% compared to 2016.

As consequence of this rapid growth, in December, the PEV share hit a record 3.3% market share of the entire Chinese auto market, while the entire 2017 PEV market share ended at 2.1%. That’s firmly ahead of last year’s score (1.5%) and above the USA (1.2%) and Europe (~1.9%).

The Chinese PEV market represented roughly half of the 1.2 million plug-ins sold worldwide in 2017, while Chinese carmakers made 47% of all PEVs sold last year.

https://tinyurl.com/ybe5rcb7

Our future at being the world’s great leader is coming to an end. Soon we, i.e. the us will fall into the category of a third world economy if we do not wake up soooon!

Edited by tooldtocare

5 minutes ago, tooldtocare said:

China Aims to Spend at Least $360 Billion on Renewable Energy by 2020

Our future at being the world’s great leader is coming to an end. Soon we, i.e. the us will fall into the category of a third world economy if we do not wake up soooon!

Don't let the door hit you in the butt.

6 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

In the meantime Chinese women are doing tourist birthing.  Flying to the US to give birth so the kid has a right to become a US citizen.  That pesky loophole bites us again.  

22 minutes ago, jdsample said:

In the meantime Chinese women are doing tourist birthing.  Flying to the US to give birth so the kid has a right to become a US citizen.  That pesky loophole bites us again.  

I like Chinese wemon

& they make great cooks too

21 minutes ago, jdsample said:

In comparison, the Great Wall of China did nothing to dissuade the Mongol hordes, it was penetrated (no pun intended) at will. What goes around comes around, I guess. 

On 11/8/2017 at 2:04 PM, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

I doubt it, for two reasons.  The battery exchange will have to occur in the same amount it takes to fill up a tank of gas now and the charged battery will have to go as far as the current tank of gas - say 375 miles..,.,.,.

Actually, these cars are already on the market, a CT two hundred for example and---

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Hybrid/story?id=97518&page=1

Posted (edited)

On 3/31/2018 at 10:13 PM, blowboatbethesda said:

In comparison, the Great Wall of China did nothing to dissuade the Mongol hordes, it was penetrated (no pun intended) at will. What goes around comes around, I guess. 

It didn't keep King Kong out either 

lol

Edited by tooldtocare