#2 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:41 PM

It is not an easy matchup for Maryland.  Hopefully they come out swinging (and rebounding)

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#3 Bowie-Bruce

Bowie-Bruce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,801 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:57 PM

Very tough matchup, but one that the Terps need if they wish to add a quality win to their resume.

One thing that works in MD's favor is that they are an exceptionally good home team--their next conference loss in the friendly confines will be their first one.

Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.
--Thoreau

#4 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:06 PM

It's really a must win if they are to stay in the hunt for a top 2 seed, and the conference title.  It's a tough matchup, and they're going to need to play much more physically on the boards to win this.

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#5 Fumes

Fumes

Sir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,020 posts
  • LocationPerry Hall

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:49 PM

alienrace- I concur and I think the Terps have been buying into all of the + hype about them.

#6 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:47 PM

It's really a must win if they are to stay in the hunt for a top 2 seed, and the conference title.  It's a tough matchup, and they're going to need to play much more physically on the boards to win this.

I actually think that is what happened. That was a dogfight and the Terps gutted it out. Layman couldn't hit the ocean if he was standing on a beach, but the guy is tenacious on defense.

#7 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:54 AM

A lot of things were not working for the Terps last night. But they gutted out a win with effort.
Who was that ESPN pair calling the game. They seeme very anti Maryland.

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#8 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:37 AM

A lot of things were not working for the Terps last night. But they gutted out a win with effort.

You know, I didn't think that but my fiance surely did.  She kept asking why they hated Maryland so much.  Of course then again, she gets so completely riled up during the games it's hard to tell...I have created a monster! 

Gutted out is definitely a good term for the second half.  In the first half, firing on all cylinders and hitting their shots, they were smooth and pretty much unstoppable.  Iowa made some adjustments, and the Terps started out ice-cold, particularly Laymen, who couldn't buy a bucket at any range.  But, Sulaimon and Carter picked up the slack and had good nights...that's the 2015-2016 Terps though, when one or two are struggling, they have so many more that can step up.  Carter's NBA stock is really going up...that cat is smmmmoooooth and can score facing the basket or with his back to it. 

The key though, was Turgeon.  This was his best coached game of the year.  First, the defensive assignments were brilliant, and limited Uhtoff to just 9 points and only 2 made FG's.  When Iowa started zoning them in the second half, he started getting more designed plays to beat it, and when the Terps extended the lead late, they converted on the possession they needed to seal it and put Iowa into foul mode. 

This was really a must-win game, if they wanted a top seed.  Now that is intact, and they have a stretch of games that if they play to potential should set them up to run the table until they face IU in the final game which might decide the conference title, and give them a #1 seed.

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#9 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:51 PM

Nice analysis. The number one seed might be a tough get. 2 is theirs to lose for sure but a one would be a fantastic leg up. Would be the first time since they won it all.

#10 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,495 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:02 AM

I think it was Seth Greenberg ... he clearly has an axe to grind against MD. Probably from his days at Va Tech. He does give them a lot of credit and loves Trimble but is hypercritical especially over minor things.

I bet his problems are derived from coaching in front of the hostile classless Maryland fans....although he had success against MD and the fans really didn't show up to support the team during lean years so who knows.

Edited by Brohan, 31 January 2016 - 08:03 AM.

#11 Fumes

Fumes

Sir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,020 posts
  • LocationPerry Hall

Posted 31 January 2016 - 10:34 AM

alienrace- solid assessment, plus props to Trimble for nailing the free throws at the end.

#12 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:27 AM

Another back yard brawl, knew they weren't going to run OSU out of the gym twice in two weeks.  Ran the offense well, though once again the second half it bogged down at times when the open 3's weren't falling.  Still, Melo and Layman were strong, and Sulaimon hits his only shot, a key 3 pointer to help pull the Terps away at the end.

One thing is clear - nothing is a given on the road in conference play.  That crowd was amped, and OSU came out about as hyped as you'd expect.

#13 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:09 PM

Terps back to #3/4 in the polls, looks like they are in great shape to pick up a #1 seed if they take care of the teams they should beat.  (which is really, all of them left on the schedule).  @IU looms as the toughest test pre-tourney.

#14 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

There's still some pretty big challenges left. Wisconsin and Michigan are no gimmees, but they're coming to CP. Purdue and Indiana are both on the road. though. Terps need to keep the pedal to the metal. I like that different guys are capable of stepping up in any given game.

#15 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:54 PM

I forgot about the road game with Purdue, that is a tough one.

#16 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:24 AM

http://www.bigten.or...b-confsked.html

The big ten website has Maryland playing back to back games at Indiana to end the season

#17 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:27 AM

INDIANA
03/05/16 MARYLAND 12:00 AM
03/06/16 MARYLAND 12:00 AM

MARYLAND
03/05/16 INDIANA 12:00 AM
03/06/16 INDIANA 12:00 AM

#18 Guest_slapshot_*

Guest_slapshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:29 AM

Maryland only plays IU once in the regular season. That would make eighteen Big Ten games. However, the times is still TBD. Maybe they're flipping between the 5th/ 6th?

Edited by slapshot, 02 February 2016 - 10:34 AM.

#19 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:28 PM

If I had to hazard a guess, I'm going to say that the Terps wind up with 5 losses after the B1G Tourney.  Hard to say if it will merit a #1 seed or not, because the Top 5 has been in such flux this season. 

If only 4 losses, then I think a #1 seed is a lock. 

#20 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:44 PM

If I had to hazard a guess, I'm going to say that the Terps wind up with 5 losses after the B1G Tourney.  Hard to say if it will merit a #1 seed or not, because the Top 5 has been in such flux this season. 

If only 4 losses, then I think a #1 seed is a lock. 

The last couple weeks have me feeling a little less confident.  They need to get more active rebounding and find ways to get the ball in the paint and stop settling for three point shots. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users