42 replies to this topic

#21 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:46 AM

The last couple weeks have me feeling a little less confident.  They need to get more active rebounding and find ways to get the ball in the paint and stop settling for three point shots. 

Completely agree. And as for the last part, I think that applies to NCAA BB in general. It is unfortunate what has happened to the game. The three-point shot has become the last refuge (or maybe first choice) of teams that can't or won't run an actual offense. I miss that. It burns me up when teams just run down and throw up a wish without even trying to run a play.

Edited by Steveg85321, 03 February 2016 - 10:46 AM.

#22 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:30 PM

Well, you can look at it that way, and to a certain degree it is true.  What I think the real issue is that defenses have gotten MUCH more physical, and allowed to be that way, with tons of hand-checking and bumping that didn't used to be allowed.  It's getting more difficult to even get the ball inside, much less score from there. 

The Terps have some superb big men in Stone, Carter and Layman.  They need to really play the inside out game more.  When Trimble and Sulaimon are penetrating, they are most effective.  The one thing that I see a little too much of is though, is both of them kicking it back outside when they have a pretty good shot themselves.  They need to a be a little, not a lot, just a little, more selfish.

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#23 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:15 PM

They have a good chnace to work out the kinks tonight in Nebraska.

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#24 Fumes

Fumes

Sir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,020 posts
  • LocationPerry Hall

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:02 AM

had me worried   , but the Terps hung tough in Nebraska. Suliamon got away with  travelling a few times.

#25 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:34 AM

had me worried   , but the Terps hung tough in Nebraska. Suliamon got away with  travelling a few times.

What's with all the turnovers? Of course I missed most of the first half while BTN farted around with Rutgers-Illinois triple OT. Apparently turnovers is what made the game scary since the Terps owned the paint and shot well. Stone is a beast.

#26 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:19 AM

Yeah, it was turnovers, caused mostly by Maryland trying to force it inside when there wasn't room to take advantage of their size, at least that's what the recap is saying. 

Nothing seems easy on the road in-conference.  The crowds and teams are seriously amped up to play the Terps, and give them their best shot.  It's getting to be the same, blood pressure rising story every week!  They aren't sneaking up on *anyone* this year, that is for sure.

One thing is clear - the book is out on how to beat the Terps(or, I should say, how to give them a game since they are rarely losing) - and that is play smaller lineups and harass the hell out of them on defense.  Trimble and Sulaimon have to be making better decisions if they are to avoid an upset in the tourney.  That said, the Terps defense is ridiculously good.  Layman in particular has been outstanding, and last night Stone showed some serious ability on that end too.

Next up is Purdue, at home.  Purdue is a really big team, so they'll match up underneath a little better, but probably not be able to force the turnovers.  We're going to find out how good Stone and Carter really are.

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#27 Fumes

Fumes

Sir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,020 posts
  • LocationPerry Hall

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:16 AM

alien- yep, Layman has stepped up his D

steve- Hope Stone stays another season

#28 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:12 AM

Stone would definitely be best served staying another season if he's not a lottery pick.  If he is though, he *has* to come out and cash in, he'd be a fool not to.

Trimble I wonder, if he wouldn't be better served staying another year.  I don't know where he's projected, but the same goes for him.  I know that he thinks he is ready to "compete", but I think he's not quite there yet...close though.  It's hard to say if his stock will rise or fall with another year behind him.  Stone staying or leaving might sway him.

#29 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:49 AM

Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but I see both Trimble and Stone moving on after the tourney. It seems a shame, but that is the game today in my view. A number of Maryland kids saw a big future in going NBA, and most were never heard from again, Blake and Vazquez being notable exceptions.

#30 EnochRoot

EnochRoot

Money won't change me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:46 PM

The writing on the 2016 Terrapins' season will be "'bounced' in the round of 32 because they never gelled as a team".

Teams that go deep in tourneys don't struggle to beat the 151st ranked team (RPI), nor do they need late minutes to eek out victories vs Rider or Illinois State. For a team with 3 first round talents, something's not right.

Edited by EnochRoot, 04 February 2016 - 12:49 PM.

#31 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:09 PM

The writing on the 2016 Terrapins' season will be "'bounced' in the round of 32 because they never gelled as a team".

Teams that go deep in tourneys don't struggle to beat the 151st ranked team (RPI), nor do they need late minutes to eek out victories vs Rider or Illinois State. For a team with 3 first round talents, something's not right.

I think that's a pretty pessimistic viewpoint.

They are 20-3.  Look at the other top 5 teams, and the games they have struggled with too.  It's not something unique to the Terps.  There is a lot of parity in today's NCAABB.

They struggle against these teams also because there is a blueprint on how to play them, and they have yet to make that blueprint obsolete, but at the same time, they are still winning.

Edited by alienrace, 04 February 2016 - 01:11 PM.

#32 EnochRoot

EnochRoot

Money won't change me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:15 PM

I think that's a pretty pessimistic viewpoint.

They are 20-3.  Look at the other top 5 teams, and the games they have struggled with too.  It's not something unique to the Terps.  There is a lot of parity in today's NCAABB.

They struggle against these teams also because there is a blueprint on how to play them, and they have yet to make that blueprint obsolete, but at the same time, they are still winning.

I think yours may be too optimistic.

I agree there's no dyed-in-the-wool frontrunner this year, but Maryland is playing like they're the 20th ranked team, much less like the 3rd. There's a lot of parity, and you're seeing it oddly enough on display in games Maryland should be winning with relative ease. 

Unless you're saying the 151st ranked team typically gives a #3 ranked team a run for its money in today's NCAA, then yeah, something's not quite right at Maryland.

#33 Bowie-Bruce

Bowie-Bruce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,801 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:16 PM

Looking ahead, if there is one thing that may hold the Terps back in their dream to go very deep in the tourney, it's the lack of depth at guard. After Melo and Sulaimon, there is not much at this point. Nickens doesn't have much of a handle, and perimeter shooting from his freshman season has been hard to find. Ram is a nice feel good story who gives full effort on defense, but let's face it the team is playing 4 on 5 when it comes to the offensive end. And lastly, Brantley the JUCO PG transfer is having a hard time getting on the floor for whatever reason. I saw him at the Princeton game in Baltimore which may have been his best showing of the year, and every since he's been a ghost. I'm just hoping that the Wiley season ending injury doesn't bite the Terps come March. For all of these reasons, it is imperative that Trimble and Rasheed remain healthy.

Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.
--Thoreau

#34 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:17 PM

Unless you're saying the 151st ranked team typically gives a #3 ranked team a run for its money in today's NCAA, then yeah, something's not quite right at Maryland.

What's that say about Michigan State then?  They just got beaten last week by this same Nebraska team, AT MSU.  Nebraska is a deceptively good team, and Steve Miles has them playing intense defense.  There are relatively few *easy* in-conference road games, and not just in the B1G either.  That's historically been true.

You mention the Rider game, well every team in the top 10 has had a game like that, some of them even LOST. 

The announcers said a few times, the Terps are a "good" team, in a year of "good" teams at the top.  They also said they have the potential to be a "great" team.  They have shown flashes, but haven't yet found consistency.  I don't know if that is anyone's fault in particular, or if it's Turgeon's.  The Terps have had their share of excellent, blowout games.  Smoking Northwestern on the road, OSU at home, a good Princeton team in Baltimore, and the assorted "cupcake" games, minus Rider.  I don't think something is "wrong" with the Terps.  They are playing as well as anyone, and have a legit chance to win it all. 

I know I'm usually a glass-half full kind of guy.  I'm not afraid at all to be let down, it happens.  This is the most talented Terps team they've ever had, and it's the deepest.  They have a chance to be great, and I'm sure going to enjoy watching them try.  What I see is a team that finds ways to win, when the deck is stacked against them, or they're having an off night in some areas.  When they fire on all cylinders, nobody is going to beat them.

Edited by alienrace, 04 February 2016 - 02:20 PM.

#35 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:22 PM

Looking ahead, if there is one thing that may hold the Terps back in their dream to go very deep in the tourney, it's the lack of depth at guard. After Melo and Sulaimon, there is not much at this point. Nickens doesn't have much of a handle, and perimeter shooting from his freshman season has been hard to find. Ram is a nice feel good story who gives full effort on defense, but let's face it the team is playing 4 on 5 when it comes to the offensive end. And lastly, Brantley the JUCO PG transfer is having a hard time getting on the floor for whatever reason. I saw him at the Princeton game in Baltimore which may have been his best showing of the year, and every since he's been a ghost. I'm just hoping that the Wiley season ending injury doesn't bite the Terps come March. For all of these reasons, it is imperative that Trimble and Rasheed remain healthy.

You make a great point about the guards.  The Terps, while I think they are the deepest team they've had, losing Wiley puts more of that depth in the bigs, and the guard position is rather shaky after Rasheed and Melo.  Last night was a good example, with Rasheed getting into foul trouble early.  I will say though, that Nickens seems to be finding his accuracy again, he was pretty good last night.

#36 Fumes

Fumes

Sir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,020 posts
  • LocationPerry Hall

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:40 PM

slightly off topic: I was  watching a BIg West game last week and saw Nick Faust (Long Beach St) playing and started wondering why he left MD.

#37 EnochRoot

EnochRoot

Money won't change me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:35 PM

What's that say about Michigan State then?  They just got beaten last week by this same Nebraska team, AT MSU.  Nebraska is a deceptively good team, and Steve Miles has them playing intense defense.  There are relatively few *easy* in-conference road games, and not just in the B1G either.  That's historically been true.

You mention the Rider game, well every team in the top 10 has had a game like that, some of them even LOST. 

The announcers said a few times, the Terps are a "good" team, in a year of "good" teams at the top.  They also said they have the potential to be a "great" team.  They have shown flashes, but haven't yet found consistency.  I don't know if that is anyone's fault in particular, or if it's Turgeon's.  The Terps have had their share of excellent, blowout games.  Smoking Northwestern on the road, OSU at home, a good Princeton team in Baltimore, and the assorted "cupcake" games, minus Rider.  I don't think something is "wrong" with the Terps.  They are playing as well as anyone, and have a legit chance to win it all. 

I know I'm usually a glass-half full kind of guy.  I'm not afraid at all to be let down, it happens.  This is the most talented Terps team they've ever had, and it's the deepest.  They have a chance to be great, and I'm sure going to enjoy watching them try.  What I see is a team that finds ways to win, when the deck is stacked against them, or they're having an off night in some areas.  When they fire on all cylinders, nobody is going to beat them.

This team may be the most talented, but it's not particularly close to being their best team. There were a few Gary teams that would've beaten this team in a tournament game where talent largely gets equalized, and you're forced to play as a team. I think that's what really I'm getting at. They're a half-baked product, and yeah, that's probably as much as Turgeon's fault as it is Stone and Trimble's, whose only crimes are being underclassmen. This is relative of course to them being ranked 4th. Typically, the 4th ranked team would be a shoe-in for the Elite 8. Frankly, I think Maryland needs a lucky draw to get that far...and I think a team like Oklahoma, that has more veteran leadership, will give them fits. 

#38 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:52 PM

This is relative of course to them being ranked 4th. Typically, the 4th ranked team would be a shoe-in for the Elite 8. Frankly, I think Maryland needs a lucky draw to get that far...and I think a team like Oklahoma, that has more veteran leadership, will give them fits. 

So what teams ranked below them do you think deserve to be ranked above them?  Oklahoma is the top ranked team, so yes, I'd expect them or any other team in the top five to be a tough game, that's the nature of the top teams, they are tough. 

#39 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:24 AM

slightly off topic: I was  watching a BIg West game last week and saw Nick Faust (Long Beach St) playing and started wondering why he left MD.

Wow.  He had 14 rebounds and 28 points vs Hawaii and 34 points in an OT game vs UCSB

http://espn.go.com/m...7378/nick-faust

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#40 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:43 AM

My memory is not so great, but was he one of the bunch that left the program in Turgeon's second or third year? Seems to me there were several who were not happy with their particular prospects going forward. It looked like a disaster at the time, but actually opened things up for the success we're seeing now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users