18 replies to this topic

#1 workerbee

workerbee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,557 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:24 PM

http://www.sfgate.co...-74-6791483.php

"Paul Kantner, one of the giants of the San Francisco music scene, died Thursday of multiple organ failure. Mr. Kantner, a founding member of the Jefferson Airplane, was 74 and had suffered a heart attack this week."

RIP... sigh

TERM LIMITS NOW!

#2 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:35 PM

My goodness, they're dropping like flies. I guess we're getting to be that age, where our influences are just running out of lifetime. In addition to being part of the soundtrack to "coming up the years," the Jefferson Airplane (along with Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young) were leaders in the cultural changes that, through the baby boomer generation, are still happening. "Star children on the black road to salvation..."

Here's a good quote from an article in the San Francisco paper:

"Jefferson Airplane had the fortune or misfortune of discovering Fender Twin Reverb amps and LSD in the same week while in college. That’s a great step forward," Kantner told author and music historian Harvey Kubernik. "We went into it our normal selves.... The point is if you find something that makes you joyful take note of it. Amplify it if you can. Tell other people about it. That's what San Francisco was about. Both musically, idealistically and metaphorically and every other way. That's what we did here."

On a positive note, I have heard Jorma and Jack with Hot Tuna play several times in the last few years, and they're still going strong.

#3 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:43 PM

#4 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,828 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:45 AM

Edited by zenwalk, 29 January 2016 - 01:48 AM.

"A screaming comes across the sky. . ." -- Thomas Pynchon

#5 boink

boink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,593 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:44 AM

coming true........

http://www.telegraph...-the-rock-gods/

Bowie's death marks the Twilight of the Rock Gods

With David Bowie’s final curtain-call, we are witnessing the end of an era, as the original stars of the explosive rock culture that convulsed the world in the second half of the 20th century are slowly extinguished. We are entering the Twilight of the Rock Gods.

Deaths of the famous compel us all to contemplate the meaning of our own lives and times, and the deaths of rock stars carry a very particular sting. Its most iconic figures – those great, symbolic archetypes of an age whose art, lifestyle and spirit was substantially defined by the egotistic and energetic values of youth – have turned into old men.

Whatever your reaction to Bowie’s death (the most elegantly stage-managed exit in pop history), we can be sure of one thing: that there is more of this to come.

#6 Guest_TheJudgement_*

Guest_TheJudgement_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:54 PM

My goodness, they're dropping like flies. I guess we're getting to be that age, where our influences are just running out of lifetime. In addition to being part of the soundtrack to "coming up the years," the Jefferson Airplane (along with Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young) were leaders in the cultural changes that, through the baby boomer generation, are still happening. "Star children on the black road to salvation..."

Here's a good quote from an article in the San Francisco paper:

"Jefferson Airplane had the fortune or misfortune of discovering Fender Twin Reverb amps and LSD in the same week while in college. That’s a great step forward," Kantner told author and music historian Harvey Kubernik. "We went into it our normal selves.... The point is if you find something that makes you joyful take note of it. Amplify it if you can. Tell other people about it. That's what San Francisco was about. Both musically, idealistically and metaphorically and every other way. That's what we did here."

On a positive note, I have heard Jorma and Jack with Hot Tuna play several times in the last few years, and they're still going strong.

Those twins will ruin your hearing. Too loud for me!

#7 boink

boink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,593 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:55 PM

Signe Anderson, Original Jefferson Airplane Singer, Dead at 74

Vocalist who preceded Grace Slick passes away on same day as Paul Kantner

Read more: http://www.rollingst...1#ixzz3zWeVJ0I4 

Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Edited by boink, 07 February 2016 - 05:57 PM.

#8 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:34 PM

Those twins will ruin your hearing. Too loud for me!

Oh I like it when they're loud. But do check some acoustic Hot Tuna sometime (there is oodles of it on Spotify). They can play some mighty sweet folk blues at barely more than a whisper.

On another topic, this weekend also saw the passing of Dan Hicks, another denizen of the early San Fran scene. Also 74.

#9 Dr Johnny Fever

Dr Johnny Fever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,568 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 06:32 PM

Oh I like it when they're loud. But do check some acoustic Hot Tuna sometime (there is oodles of it on Spotify). They can play some mighty sweet folk blues at barely more than a whisper.

On another topic, this weekend also saw the passing of Dan Hicks, another denizen of the early San Fran scene. Also 74.

Didn't dan hicks fake his death a long time ago? I'd heard he was killed in a bar fight....but again it was a long time ago.

"I scare myself thinking about you....."

#10 Guest_TheJudgement_*

Guest_TheJudgement_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:48 PM

That's so sad. When I was a kid I didn't listen much to country but I remember seeing Dan Hicks on midnight special or one of those shows. And I really like his swing country feel. I still listen to his music plus he had a great sense of humor.
I do know a hot tuna. I'm a big fan of jorma and a big fan of jack Cassidy the bass player

#11 Fumes

Fumes

Sir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,028 posts
  • LocationPerry Hall

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:15 PM

zen- My favorite JA tune. Balin was solid on it

#12 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,828 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:12 AM

zen- My favorite JA tune. Balin was solid on it

It's foggy like SF. 

#13 Fumes

Fumes

Sir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,028 posts
  • LocationPerry Hall

Posted 13 February 2016 - 06:38 AM

zen- definitely  ;)

#14 Fumes

Fumes

Sir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,028 posts
  • LocationPerry Hall

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:49 PM

started wondering if grace Slick is still breathing- she is.

interesting quote from Mickey hart   http://www.billboard...r-rest-in-peace

#15 uli90

uli90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:32 PM

:(

#16 blowboatbethesda

blowboatbethesda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 05:41 PM

I was a huge Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship fan in my younger "daze."   ;)

Here is a little update on Starship's worst song.

http://ultimateclass...uilt-this-city/

#17 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,828 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

#18 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit