demopublican

Where will Maryland be ranked?

180 posts in this topic

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/111140/on-the-quad-maryland-and-villanova-set-to-be-1a-and-1b-in-polls

Thanks to losses by Oklahoma and North Carolina, a new No. 1 in college basketball will likely be unveiled Monday when the Associated Press and USA Today Coaches polls are released. The vote could again be split. Maryland has made a strong case for the top spot with four straight wins, including victories over ranked teams Iowa and Purdue. The Terrapins have star power with arguably the nation's best closer in guard Melo Trimble. Maryland is currently ranked No. 3 in the coaches poll. Villanova also has a strong argument, having won 12 of its last 13 and avenging its only loss during that span by beating No. 11 Providence 72-60 Saturday. The Wildcats are currently ranked No. 3 in the Associated Press poll.

Edited by demopublican

Villanova was very impressive in it's win against Providence.  I'd have to say that the Terps will be either #2 or #3.  Carolina will drop out of the top 5, Oklahoma might still wind up #2.  The vote should be pretty split though. 

The Terps made their case with a solid win against a very good Purdue team, despite some shooting woes at times, they did what they've done all season - and that is pull away in crunch time.  The game was terrific, felt like two heavyweight fighters struggling for control, but other than a brief moment when the Terps fell behind by 4, I didn't think they were in danger of losing.  They were playing smart and efficient, they just missed quite a few easy layups, and some very wide open shots that had any of them fallen, they probably could have won a little more comfortably. 

So you are saying Nova gets one and Md is 3?

It's not critical now anyway. Stay in the hunt for a #1 seed. That will be decided by the B1G tournament. Win that and we get a #1 seed. Lose and it's 2 or worse.

So you are saying Nova gets one and Md is 3?

It's not critical now anyway. Stay in the hunt for a #1 seed. That will be decided by the B1G tournament. Win that and we get a #1 seed. Lose and it's 2 or worse.

A #1 for now would be fun, but I agree not critical. I'm generally ambivalent about conference tourney championships, but winning this one would be huge for sure. That Purdue victory to me showed them to be a tough bunch of honchos, but man they could not buy a bucket. It sure would be easier if some of those shots would fall through, but those guys seem to be able to just work harder. That interior defense against the Boilermakers was stifling.

A #1 for now would be fun, but I agree not critical. I'm generally ambivalent about conference tourney championships, but winning this one would be huge for sure. That Purdue victory to me showed them to be a tough bunch of honchos, but man they could not buy a bucket. It sure would be easier if some of those shots would fall through, but those guys seem to be able to just work harder. That interior defense against the Boilermakers was stifling.

That's the potential greatness of this team.  When their shots are falling, they are close to unbeatable.  When they are not, the work harder and find a way to win the games.  The Terps are a very underrated defensive team, though maybe some are taking notice now.  In particular, Jake Layman is really bothering perimeter shooters with his length, as is Sulaimon.

Actually the Terps are #2 in the AP poll as well.  I think maybe you were looking at last week's poll.

13 first place votes out of 43...11 out of 22 in the coaches poll.

Strange,  I must have hit Yahoo when they had one poll updated and one static 

As I predicted(not here), two of the teams that Lunardi had as #1 seeds instead of the Terps both lost(Iowa, Oregon).  In Oregon's case, they are done from being a #1 seed consideration as their loss was horrible.  Iowa is still in the mix, but would have to win the Reg season and go deep in the B1G tourney, or win the B1G tourney to get it.  Terps have to be considered a #1 seed now, and are in the driver's seat.  Essentially the way the schedule is looking, they'll need to win either @Purdue, or @Indiana to ensure the B1G Reg season title.  They could lose both and still likely win it, or tie for the title. 

alien- Penn St fans acted like they won the title. NC collapsed.

Yeah, NC sure did!  Man, I was watching them thinking, they just might be THE team this year, they looked really good up until the last five minutes, and suddenly they looked panicked and completely lost!  I'll begrudgingly give Duke a bit of credit, that skinny freshmen is a PTP'er, and they are red hot right now, but still, Carolina had the game in hand and completely blew it.  For the life of me I cannot fathom why they didn't go inside once Plumlee had 4 fouls.  It's like Coach Williams just had a total brainfart.

As for Iowa, I was talking to a friend about that game two days ago, and mentioned that it wouldn't be easy for Iowa going to PSU. 

I think Melo has a case of self-inflicted head games going on.  His shot is gone.  The same guy who was making everything from everywhere all season long, the guy who would drain a step back jumper or come off a screen to hit the shot EVERY SINGLE TIME an opponent got momentum going... can't get anything to drop right now.  It's just strange.  And the rest of the team is pressing too.  The goofy thing Layman just did to try to dribble the length of the floor to make a statement is all mental.