demopublican

Where will Maryland be ranked?

180 posts in this topic

slap- don't get me started on Pitt ;)   - they need a deep run in the ACCT to get off the bubble

The betting site I referred to previously would agree. They have Pitt at 50% chance to make the NCAA. They're right there with Gonzaga, in terms of chances of getting in.

slap - are they thinking the WCC is only getting it's tournament winner

TEAM CONF. W-L TOT. W-L RPI RANK

St. Marys 14-3     23-4      56

Gonzaga 14-3     22-7       68

BYU 13-4            22-8               70

St Mary's at 70% chance to make the NCAA, with projected w/l of 25-4 {Best RPI and best W/L record}

BYU 28%, 23-8

Gonzaga 55%, 22-8

Edited by slapshot

slap- don't get me started on Pitt ;) - they need a deep run in the ACCT to get off the bubble

FYI - Pitt simply destroying Dooook. Pitt 76 - #15 Dook 57 with 2:11 minutes left in the game.

Purdue's win against Pitt looking better all the time.

Announcers saying Pitt likely "punched their ticket to the NCAA" with this "statement" win.

Edited by slapshot

slap- let's just say my gut had a bad  weekend  ;)

I understand.

I often have similar weekends.

Cheers.

The win over the Illini did allow them to get the double bye, so that's good....I guess.

But, a numerically big win at home, against Illinois (a team that's going nowhere in the post season), is not really relevant to the bigger objective.

Win against IU @Bloom this weekend, would be significant (ie, Huuuuuuuuuge), and, IMO, a momentum builder.

Edited by slapshot

The win over the Illini did allow them to get the double bye, so that's good....I guess.But, a numerically big win at home, against Illinois (a team that's going nowhere in the post season), is not really relevant to the bigger objective.Win against IU @Bloom this weekend, would be significant (ie, Huuuuuuuuuge), and, IMO, a momentum builder.

I agree. But the team and fans had a great time for Senior Day. That three pointer by Varun Ram was fantastic.

Edited by demopublican

Looked good for a while. Indiana just seemed to play harder for 2/3rds of the game. The two teams traded back and forth with 6 points runs for a while but then Indiana got on a run and never stopped. Shame. There could be just two games left if they don't wake up.

Maryland has tailed off down the stretch.  History shows that teams that start well and then fade a bit usually don't fare all that well in the tournament.  Teams that stumble a bit early and finish on a roll usually do much better.  Maryland looks like it peaked too early.  At one time Maryland might have been a #1 or #2 seed, now they are probably a #4 seed.  I see them getting out of the first weekend but not surviving the next one. 

I don't think the Terps are overrated.  Seriously, they are not.  Look at the other teams ranked near them.  They are right about where they should be, and I expect them to be somewhere between 15-20 in today's poll.

Indiana on the otherhand, is quite underrated.  That team is capable of winning it all, and should have been noticed much earlier in the season.  Their slow start kept the pollsters from elevating them too much, but they are worthy of a top 5 ranking, IMO.

The Terps biggest issue is decision making, and mostly Trimble.  However, yesterday I didn't think the team played that poorly, they actually rebounded well and didn't play too sloppy like they have as of late.  The main issue was Indiana was red-hot from 3 point land, and the foul disparity(8 ft's vs 25 - seriously, that is kind of ridiculous one sided officiating).  This team will go as far as Melo Trimble can take them, and right now it's not looking very far.  Maybe Sweet 16, which is a damn shame, because the team has the talent to go much further.  The rumor is that Trimble stopped going to class, and his head is not where it should be at all.  He's thinking NBA, and not March Madness.  Very disappointed in him, I thought he was smarter than that.  We've seen how this plays out before.

Maryland has tailed off down the stretch.  History shows that teams that start well and then fade a bit usually don't fare all that well in the tournament.  Teams that stumble a bit early and finish on a roll usually do much better.  Maryland looks like it peaked too early.  At one time Maryland might have been a #1 or #2 seed, now they are probably a #4 seed.  I see them getting out of the first weekend but not surviving the next one. 

That is quite the way I see it. Going deep into the B1G tourney would help a lot, but that may be a challenge since they are not doing so well against good B1G teams lately. They are capable, though, of stepping it up, even though that sure is not the trajectory they're on.

I don't think the Terps are overrated.  Seriously, they are not.  Look at the other teams ranked near them.  They are right about where they should be, and I expect them to be somewhere between 15-20 in today's poll.

Agree. Although their early season poll numbers may have been overly inflated, and now they are closer to where they belong?

Indiana on the otherhand, is quite underrated.  That team is capable of winning it all, and should have been noticed much earlier in the season.  Their slow start kept the pollsters from elevating them too much, but they are worthy of a top 5 ranking, IMO.

IU will end the regular season being ranked a few spots higher from where they were ranked at week three. After the Wake Forest loss in week 4, they fell completely out of the rankings (which I think was a disservice to them). Further, they probably would have climbed a lot higher had they not had that terrible loss to PSU in early February.

So, while IU is currently peaking, their entire body of work shows they had some terrible losses. Further, their conference record at home is impeccable...but away, not so much. Unfortunately, they didn't have to play Maryland or Purdue away from Bloom. They just barely beat Purdue @Bloom. Purdue would have beat them at WL. The only REAL tough away opponent that they beat, was Iowa at the very end of the season (as Iowa seems to be unraveling, late). To further point to their Achilles heel, they got destroyed by Dook, when they played @Durham.

Now, as far as the biG tourney - playing @Indy is essentially a home game for IU, so really, nothing will change there. But I expect in the NCAA, it could be a different situation. They will not, nor should they get a 1 seed...and maybe not even a 2 seed.

Edited by slapshot

I don't know how you can look at MD's bad losses and lack of big time wins and say they aren't over rated.The only big win they had was Iowa and that doesn't look so great now.

Terps have as much talent as anyone but never got better as a team ......

At the beginning of the season they got by on talent but as other teams came together snd geled the terps got passed by .....

Why? Trimble regressed and despite stone's talent he is immature. .....

They certainly have enough talent to make a run .......

I never felt comfortable with all the attention from the beginning and stand by my posts from the time that I wish the didn't have all the preseason hoopla and they could play under the radar and sneak up on folks .....

Edited by Eastside Terp

I don't know how you can look at MD's bad losses and lack of big time wins and say they aren't over rated.The only big win they had was Iowa and that doesn't look so great now.

The only truly bad loss I see was against Minny. I think their resume says that their ranking, in the mid teens, is about right, IMO.

Edited by slapshot

Are you really saying that at 18th they are overrated??

Are you really saying that at 18th they are overrated??

18 sounds about right to me, although the way they're trending I wouldn't blame someone for ranking them lower. Unlike weeks ago, they just are not playing like a top tier team.

I never felt comfortable with all the attention from the beginning and stand by my posts from the time that I wish the didn't have all the preseason hoopla and they could play under the radar and sneak up on folks .....

me2

I don't think the problem is the hoopla about the team, as much as it is certain individual players who might be looking past their college careers. 

When the Terps were 22-3, ranked #2 in both polls,  and a #1 seed in most brackets, they were winning and not sneaking up on anyone all year long.  They were then, living up to the hype.  Those individuals were playing at a very high level. 

Since then, they(and certain individuals) have been playing very poorly.  To say it's been a letdown is an understatement. 

Last night they had the 2002 tourney games with Kentucky and UConn on.  The contrast in the way that team played compared to this year's was ridiculously stark.  The intelligence difference between Blake, Dixon, Nicholas vs Trimble, Sulaimon was like night and day.  This year's team seems to be doing things that just baffle you at every turn.  That 2002 team had less overall talent than this team, but found ways to exploit every weakness.  Watching them battle those two teams in 2002, then systematically break them down during the stretch was a thing of beauty.  This year, there is an extreme lack of focus - how many times can you hit a big 3 only to have the other team race down and score a layup???  How many times are they getting close to getting a lead only to have Trimble launch an idiotic 3 point shot from a mile away?  There is no discipline, and no intelligence. 

Gary could coach.  Turgeon seems to be seriously lacking on that aspect.

alien _ Yes, Gary W was a better coach than Turgeon and I concur with this part of your statement

how many times can you hit a big 3 only to have the other team race down and score a layup???