demopublican

Where will Maryland be ranked?

180 posts in this topic

Maryland gets a break with Nebraska beating Wisconson. Can they take advantage? Or will they play down?

Maryland gets a break with Nebraska beating Wisconson. Can they take advantage? Or will they play down?

Hard to say.  Based on the past month or so, I'd say not only play down, but get beaten.

Terps facing an unexpected opponent in Nebraska is both good and not so good. It's good in that MD notwithstanding its downward trajectory, should certainly advance against a team that will be playing its 3rd game in as many days. But it's not so good in that beating Nebraska does nothing to improve March Madness seeding.

Ultimately, the Terps would need to beat (likely) Michigan State to move up from what I see as a 4 seed. And I damn well don't see that happening.

Terps facing an unexpected opponent in Nebraska is both good and not so good. It's good in that MD notwithstanding its downward trajectory, should certainly advance against a team that will be playing its 3rd game in as many days. But it's not so good in that beating Nebraska does nothing to improve March Madness seeding.

Ultimately, the Terps would need to beat (likely) Michigan State to move up from what I see as a 4 seed. And I damn well don't see that happening.

Agreed.  If they won the entire B1G Tourney, I see them getting a 3 seed, probably not higher.  If they lose against the Huskers, they could find themselves a 6 seed.

agree with alien- we're not getting higher than a 3 seed

Hard to say.  Based on the past month or so, I'd say not only play down, but get beaten.

I expect them to struggle but win tonight. I dont like their chances against Michigan State. Not because they are more talented. Because they are better coached.

Look good tonight .....

They should save some of those 3s for the next game .....

Look good tonight .....

They should save some of those 3s for the next game .....

Yeah, hell of an offensive display. Defense is again lacking though.

Yeah, hell of an offensive display. Defense is again lacking though.

90 something to 80 something .......

D like in an NBA all star game :) .....

That doesn't cut it if you aren't sinking a record number of 3s .....

Those teams that live off the 3's, sooner or later, die when the hot shooting dries up....and it will, eventually.

Sinking a 3 from way beyond the arch is a thing of beauty, but, IMO, this over reliance on the 3 (per the NBA game as we know it today), has moved the game to where only shooters matter.

Call me old school, but I'd rather see a game decided on the inside.

Seeing Layman drain those threes right out of the gate I could tell it would be an easy first half, but I was actually expecting to see them go cold in the second half; that is generally what happens. It could easily happen today, so I hope they can find some defense. The points Nebraska scored last night will usually beat you. And @slapshot, I totally agree about the inside game; I'm old school too.

Crazy game today. Trimble and Layman can't score at all yet we are hanging around...

Good D by Maryland.

Now keep taking it inside...key.

Could have won with that layup.

Edited by slapshot

Trimble continues to drag this team down.....

How come they keep forgetting about stone inside .....

Parker had to impress some scouts today and make some $$$ ....

Edited by Eastside Terp

Terps just aren't that good.Inconsistent scoring lack of hustle getting back on D.out hustled on the boards.Besides Mello low basketball IQ.

Yeah, this team turned out to be a real dud sadly, relative to expectations that is. 

Wouldn't be shocked if they're one and done in the NCAA. 

Edited by Kawalimus

Once I see how the're seeded and who they will face, I'll have a better opinion on how far they advance.

The loss against MSU gave me some hope that the Terps can (at least) get out of the first two rounds. Defense looked better.

Trimble killed them with his low iq. Refs missed foul on Carter going for the rebound then call on the other way.

Maryland #5 seed in same bracket as Kansas.

Maryland will face N Dakota State.

MSU gets snubbed with no #1 seed.

South Dakota.

I'll pick the 12 seed.

South Dakota.

I'll pick the 12 seed.

Does it matter?

I'll take the 5 seed and spot you 7 pts.

That's what happens when you go into March cold. I think they still might win two games.

This will be very interesting.

The pressure is now off,no top 5 expectations,they are now a underdog to win it all,let's see if it loosens them up.

That's what happens when you go into March cold. I think they still might win two games.

As soon as it was determined that MSU did not get a #1 seed, it was a sure bet that everyone else in the conference would drop a seed, or two.

IMO, MSU got slighted, as did the entire conference. UVa (losses to unranked teams like: GW, VT, GT, and FSU) over MSU? WTF? Only loss to an unranked team for MSU was Nebraska.

Interestingly enough, there were guys on the Purdue web site that knew the seeding and who was playing whom about 30-45 minutes before all the seeds were announced. Apparently, there was some kind of leak from the selection committee, and the tweetisphere lit up.

Edited by slapshot

MSU is probably the best team in the country.  To not get a #1 seed is pretty lame. 

Duke got a 4 seed, UVA gets a 1.  Seems they have the ACC a little higher than most.